1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows 7: What's your plan?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Arie, 2010/09/25.

?

Windows 7: What's your plan?

Poll closed 2010/10/31.
  1. I am running Windows 7

52.5%
  2. I will get Windows 7 when I get a new PC

11.5%
  3. I am running Windows Vista but thinking about upgrading to 7

3.5%
  4. I continue running Windows Vista

2.5%
  5. I am running Windows XP but thinking about upgrading to 7

7.0%
  6. I continue running Windows XP

21.5%
  7. I am running another Windows version

1.0%
  8. I am not running a Windows OS

0.5%
  1. 2010/09/30
    chaosrn Lifetime Subscription

chaosrn Well-Known Member

i was mostly happy with Win98, hated Win mill, (dumping it quickly and installed Win98 on the new system), got dragged to XP, which i learned to work with.
    avoided Vista.
    New sys came with Win7, which is very cranky, have 8G Ram, 1 G RAM on a video card, 1 T hard disc, and can't use my Dell 924 printer, HP Scanjet 3970, Logitech fusion webcam, and about a dozen video games (doesn't run as 64 bit games).
    The updates seem to lock the system and never appear to finish downloading (98% for three hours ?)
    IE8 "not responding ", FireFox "not responding ", Axim X50, really is getting unusable, because it can't syn....
    Hey Redmond ! my next unit may come from "The Tree "

2. 2010/10/02
    SaintSatinStain

SaintSatinStain Inactive

I run XP for two more years, unless, unlikely, Microsoft extends

For the past two or so years I have XP Professional the way that I want an operating system, flexible, secure, and set up so that my time is spent in productive work and not in administration.

I saw a commercial for an upscale automobile that avoided an accident though the driver's attention lapsed. XP, especially Pro, is secure. It does require some hardening tweaks and some attetion from the user. The only time I was infected, my roommate (this was a few months aftet installing XP) was careless. Since then no one else uses my computer(s); it has not been infected, unless you call a few tracking cookies infection or, more likely, flash cookies. The last can be helpful.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/10/04
    MitchellCooley Lifetime Subscription

MitchellCooley Inactive

I'll get 7 before the year is out. Best Buy has a lay away program....I need to add some ram (just because) and will install as 64bit.

5. 2010/10/06
    Davezilla

Davezilla Well-Known Member

I ran Vista HP on my laptop for about two & a half years (I still do), I always preferred it to XP. My new custom built desktop has Win 7 64 bit & I think that it is superb. No wonder 7 is selling so well. :cool:

& to think I was going to go Ubuntu ... :eek:

6. 2010/10/07
    jacrabbit

jacrabbit Inactive

I've been running 7 since the beta & have since bought 2 new laptops with 7 hp on them, still have 2 desktops with vista on them, upgraded a mates laptop for him with 7 on it he's more than happy with the upgrade.
    Never really liked XP to start with!, but as I started to use it more; just like 7 I got use to it but I wouldn't go back to XP now!

regards Jac

7. 2010/10/07
    Davezilla

Yeah, 7 rocks! I'm really impressed with it. I did like Vista when it came out. I think it was predominantly in the US it got a bad reputation. In the UK it appeared without incident. I was impressed with Vista straight away & always preferred it to XP, which I was never that keen on. You say this to some people though & they think you are crackers!

8. 2010/10/07
    Lou Nettune

Lou Nettune Inactive

I have been running 7 for about 4 or 5 months. Like anything new, at first it sucked, then it's not that bad and now not bad, Not bad at all.

9. 2010/10/08
    Davezilla

I liked it from the start, but I am often easily pleased LOL!:D

10. 2010/10/30
    korn

korn Inactive

Have multiple versions of windows on several computers

I run xp on a couple computers, vista on a couple and 7 one my main one. I am surprised that do consider 7 to be a good version. I wish I could afford to upgrade all my computers to 7 as I think it is the best one yet. I use the 7 ultimate version. No problems since installing it 8 months ago. Being unemployed at present I don't see upgrading in the immediate future but eventually I will make the upgrades I am sure.

11. 2010/10/30
    SaintSatinStain

SaintSatinStain Inactive

I still have XP SP 3

I wanted 7 to have heightened security, less intrusively implemented, but a system simpler than the previous ones, not the energy intensive result I see.

I will use my XP Pro, SP3 until all support for it stops. I make Microsoft a proposal; I am willing to pay a hundred dollars a year tor continued support. Ask other customers if they are willing. It keeps XP a part of your profit stream and keeps happy folk who really like it.

I will change to 7 when I can't do what I want with XP. I do have it on a computer that I use for clients; it's good, but I like XP.

12. 2010/10/30
    Metlox

Metlox Well-Known Member

I bought new hardware with Windows 7 on it, and it runs like a dream...sure beats Vista! :)

Last edited: 2010/10/30
  13. 2010/10/31
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

14. 2010/10/31
    pompeyx

pompeyx Inactive

I stayed with XP SP3 and Dual boot with whatever the current version of Ubuntu is, Vista left me cold.
    Having installed Win 7 on a Nephews Christmas present, I will install Win 7 on a new build I am in the middle of.

15. 2010/12/03
    raj2007

raj2007 Well-Known Member

I'm using win7 32 bit for the past 1 month. I skipped vista from XP. Lots of changes in win 7 and 100% user friendly right from the installation.
    I think the poll should be re-opened

16. 2010/12/03
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

This type of poll comes around every so often raj, just wait for the next one :D

For what it's worth my vote (running XP) is already out of date. My old laptop became unbearable to use and I've since switched to a new laptop with Win 7 Home Premium 64. :)

jorjab likes this.
  17. 2010/12/30
    macleadv

macleadv Inactive

My new laptop came with Windows 7, but I was unable to get a new driver for my Canon Multi Functional Printer, so i had to get a new printer also.

Someone's gain turns out to be my pain in the wallet.

18. 2010/12/31
    Davezilla

Is your new laptop 64 bit? Incompatibility with 64 bit Operating Systems seems quite common with a lot of hardware. I think it is because we are in one of those technological 'transitional' times. Aren't we always? LOL

jorjab likes this.