1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Safe Mode not working....

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by spiderpug, 2009/09/13.

1. 2009/09/20
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Just pop the disk back in the drive. Start opening files...pictures, word processing files, audio, video. Double-click on files to open them.

At least you can test that way, if it was some sort of special "backup file" you won't know if it works until you try to restore it.

"Just pop the disk back in the drive." I find you need to let it cool :D. I have been saddened by putting a disk straight back in and finding it won't work, later on, it works :)

Matt

2. 2009/09/20
    spiderpug

spiderpug Inactive Thread Starter

Hi

Cheers for the response brother!

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/09/25
    spiderpug

Hi MAttman

I ran KillDISK and it said it completed... but I don't understand what it did, my operating system is still here, Im on it typing now. I then restarted the computer, pressed F8 to get into Repair computer and it keeps saying insert windows disk and restart computer, if you do not have this disk ring your computers company or something... I have put in my recovery disks but nothing is working! :S

5. 2009/09/25
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

You shouldn't need KillDisk. You don't want to lose your partitioning information. KillDisk will remove the partitioning information and you might have big problems trying to get the system running again (like needing to buy reinstallation disks from the computer manufacturer).

All you need to do is format the C: drive or because you have recovery disks, run those.

I have a suspicion that you have deleted the "service "/ "recovery" partition on the hard disk. That could be why you are having trouble running the disks.

What sort of computer is it? You need to put your system details in you WindowsBBS profile
    http://www.windowsbbs.com/adding_system_specifications.html

Go to Start(orb) and right-click on Computer, select Manage then go to Disk Management in the left-hand pane. (You can find it using Help and Support.) You will find drive information in the right-hand pane. Look in the bottom right-hand pane, report back with all the information for the disks. For example, my Disk 0 is (C: ) 48.83GB NTFS Healthy (etc), (D: ) 151.60GB NTFS Healthy (etc), 97.66 GB Unallocated.

Matt

6. 2009/09/25
    spiderpug

Hi

Its too late,You told me to use Killdisk because it was a formats the hard drive better than windows does!?

Anyway the disk management Disk 0 says ,
    9.77GB Unallocated, Acer(C: ) 288.32GB NTFS Healthy (system, boot, Page file, active, crash dump, primary partition)

My computer is an Acer Aspire 5536G-644G32Mn

Last edited: 2009/09/25
  7. 2009/09/25
    spiderpug

Hi

If I have deleted something important, Luckily I have Windows XP on disk and I am getting Windows 7 shipped out in October...

8. 2009/09/25
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Ok, I see a suggestion for KillDisk earlier on by John.

I would work with the Acer utilities, you don't have a full Vista installation disk.

It looks like you have deleted the "eRecovery Utility" partition (9.77GB Unallocated). Me, I would run KillDisk again and see if it could "undelete" the partition (restore it again).

Here is the User Guide
    http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/manuals/acer/0000/userguides/AS3600 5500-ENG-OLM_0609.pdf
    It should be in Start -> All Programs -> AcerSystem.

You open the utility using Alt + F10, default password is six zeroes. I would have used the "Disk-to-Disk Recovery ", see under BIOS Utility, but at the moment the partition is deleted.

Find the instructions for running the recovery disks you mention, you probably need to boot to them from startup, that may mean setting the CD/DVD drive to boot before the Hard Disk Drive in the BIOS (see Boot Sequence in the User Guide). You could try "eMail Acer Support "
    http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/n...ebook/0000/Acer/Aspire5500/Aspire5500nv.shtml
    You should get full support if it is still under warranty.

Acer offer drivers for Windows XP, but I don't think you will see any Windows 7 drivers made for your model. It may work, but you may not be able to find drivers for all your hardware.

See if you can get the recovery disks to work.

Matt

9. 2009/09/26
    spiderpug

Hi Mattman

You are the man! haha
    I made the CD DVD the primary boot and got the recovery disks working...
    Now we have a bigger problem... I found 2 Trojan.HBO on my computer using Malwarebytes and deleted them... they must be save onto the recover disks when i plugged the external drive into my laptop and the trojans jumped. So once i deleted them i disconnected from internet and did a HJT report log, then quickly ran in safe mode and scanned with, SUPERAntiSpyware, Ccleaner, AVG, Malwarebytes... and no malicous files were found. I guess I will have to make new recovery disks of the system now because the ones I am using must have the trojans on it...

I will post another thread about my new problem now...lol
    I will post the link up

I am now in SafeMode with Networking because I am too scared to boot in normal mode.. lol

10. 2009/09/26
    spiderpug

11. 2009/09/26
    spiderpug

This was the response from Acer support,

Good Morning James,

All units that were manufactured in 2006 and over comes with a hidden partition that allows you to format/restore the unit back to factory settings. Which is the main reason why we no longer supply recovery disks with our units. Due to you using the Killdisk software it has deleted all the partition on the hard drive. We can have the hard drive reimaged for a fee of $129 payable via Mastercard or Visa. Please let me know if you wish to proceed.

Best Regards,

Technical Support Department
    Acer Computers Australia

So I did delete the partition. I don't want to pay money to get it back, and I cant find eRecovery to make new recovery disks, is that because I deleted the partition.

I tried restoring with kill disk but there was no option. I reloaded windows and I did some windows updates and now my SafeMode is working :D!

Then I tried installing eRecovery, but it said 'Not D2D System, eRecovery cannot be installed'.

What should I do?

12. 2009/09/26
    spiderpug

Ok I tried the Alt F10 trick, but it said 'Acer eRecovery Failed' or something along those lines.

13. 2009/09/27
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

KillDisk may have overwritten the data.

Use trials of a few programs to see if the partition can be recovered, one is Active@Partition Recovery
    http://au.search.yahoo.com/search;_...gt.?p=undelete++partition&fr=sfp&fr2=&iscqry=
    Your local computer repairer might have a utility like one of those. I have seen them in Norton Utilities and Ranish Partition Manager. Get a trial of some partition management utilities that can resize partitions (another is Partition Magic), if you buy it, it will come in handy in the future.

The people looking at the security thread don't seem to think the trojan is a serious threat, so you might just keep those recovery disks as backup and forget about the partition (make copies of them in case of damage). You could look at extending the C: drive into the extra space.

Matt

14. 2009/09/27
    spiderpug

I will keep those recovery disks. Also, I have been told its gone and that I should just use a HDD imaging software to back up my computer.

Do you know anything about this program?

15. 2009/09/28
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Make copies of those disks. If one gets a scratch on it you will lose that backup.

Backup, you need to decide now on a method of backup. A clone backs up everything. If your system is, say 500 - 600GB where are you going to save a clone? What if you have made a clone, there is a catastrophe and when you want to install the clone there is an error message? (Happened to me :rolleyes:)

Your options might be to copy/sync your data only, make incremental backups or clone. Work on what has just happened. You could have gone back to a factory installation with your data backed up, under the circumstances the factory installation is gone. You now have a "snap shot" (partial incremental) that unfortunately, has a trojan included. If you clone a useless system, it will reinstall as a useless system.

If you are going to clone, make sure it is of an "excellent" working system. It is a snap-shot of your current system and if your current system is "bad ", guess what you get?

Investigate the various methods of backup. Me, I would prefer to have a backup of my data only, reinstall Windows, then install any programs that DIDN'T cause the meltdown :D A fresh, new system with all my data.

You seem to be somewhat happier with your current situation (over your original one). Work on it. Decide on a backup system that will you put you "where you want to be" in the past.

Keep improving your experience level ;)

Matt

16. 2009/09/28
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

17. 2009/09/28
    spiderpug

Hi

I am having problems backing up with EASEUS Todo Backup 1.0.

My External HDD is 80GB, but its in a 88GB:16GB ratio partition...

I tried backing up, but it said insufficient space on partition.. :S I thought these programs compressed the files or something...
    My HDD on laptop is 288GB, and its used 91GB.

If I delete the other 16 partition on the external will that fit? I don't know how to delete the partition on my external.

My system is fine for backing up i think, has no trojans or anything and all the music and programs I want... So I think it is a good time to back up

What do you suggest?

18. 2009/09/28
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Maybe - you need to check in the program to set the degree of compression.
    With the external connected go into Disk Management (Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc > Enter) and right click on both partitions in turn > Delete. This will leave the entire drive as Unallocated Space.

Right click in the Unallocated Space and select Make Partition and accept the max value - format it NTFS.

19. 2009/09/29
    spiderpug

Hi

I deleted the partitions and formatted with NTFS...

Then I set the compression to maximum and it still says 'insufficient space on partition', I wouldnt think that the backup would be more than 80GB???? :S

Seems a bit strange?

20. 2009/09/29
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

The software may be looking at the capacity of the entire drive, including free space - which is rather strange.

Using Acronis my 55Gb Windows partition - 33 Gb used, is compressed to ~16 Gb.

Give the free trial of Acronis a whirl - the image you make should remain fully functional after the trial expires.

This is my last day on the BBS for a couple of weeks - travelling to the States tonight.

21. 2009/09/29
    spiderpug

Hi

I will have a look at acronis... Also I might purchase it if its reasonable.

Have a good time in the US! :D