1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Rumor: Full Start menu in Windows 8.2

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by SpywareDr, 2013/12/10.

1. 2013/12/17
    MitchellCooley Lifetime Subscription

MitchellCooley Inactive

The whole idea of capitalism is that companies can make a profit. But for some reason some people believe every company should make a profit - EXCEPT for Microsoft, oil companies, and pharmaceutical companies...........

Mitch

2. 2013/12/17
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I'm not against Microsoft from making a profit but sometimes they overprice certain users right out being able to continue to use windows. I have Windows 8.1 Pro. it's really not that bad.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/12/17
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Incredible.

I had no idea Apple was that big.

They didn't get there with any help from me due to their expensive propriety software and hardware. I think one thing that has made the iPhone go over so well is that having one is sort of like a status symbol among young folks. Much like buying designer clothes and such.

I just hope that Microsoft doesn't follow in their (Apple's) shoes.

5. 2013/12/17

I have a Motorola phone at least I can change the battery. I know someone who has the one of the later iPhones and it cost that person almost $60. to have the battery changed.

6. 2013/12/18
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

That is a certainly a major part of the "whole idea" but capitalism also requires and spurs competition and that is good for consumers, advances in technologies, and for companies to increase growth.

I agree that MS has a history of pricing issues, but I think Windows 8 is very reasonably priced - if you shop around. I sure would not buy the full retail package but OEM/SB licenses are often on sale pretty cheap - often less than $100.

7. 2013/12/18
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

I'm a bit confused on OEM licenses. I thought OEM was referring to licenses for PC makers like Dell, HP, etc.

8. 2013/12/18
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member Thread Starter

9. 2013/12/18

I usually purchase OEM disks. Never had any problems with them.

10. 2013/12/19
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member Thread Starter

11. 2013/12/19
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

It does. But it also applies to ANY ONE who builds computers. That includes self-builders. That is also why they are really called OEM/System Builders licenses.

I always buy OEM for my own personal computers and for client computers. The "Windows" is the same so there should be no problems with them.

The issue is all about transfers. OEM/SB licenses are inextricably tied to the "original equipment" and therefore are NOT legally transferable to a new computer or an "upgraded" motherboard! An upgraded motherboard, for licensing purposes, is considered a new computer. Only the "boxed" full Retail license can be transferred to a new computer. OEM licenses can only be transferred to an identical motherboard from the same maker, or the suggested replacement board if the exact model is no longer in production. Not an "upgraded" motherboard.

OEM/SB licenses are cheaper because,
    (1) they don't come in fancy retail boxes,
    (2) they are sold as 32-bit or 64-bit only where retail packages come with both - though you can only use one or the other,
    (3) they are not transferable to new computers or upgraded motherboard,
    (4) the "System Builder" is responsible for Windows tech support for one year.​
    Number 4 is the big one. System builders, whether Dell or yourself are responsible for Windows tech support. Not Microsoft.