1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Rumor: Full Start menu in Windows 8.2

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by SpywareDr, 2013/12/10.

1. 2013/12/10
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member Thread Starter

Paul Thurrott is reporting that Microsoft will finally be bringing back the full Start menu to the Windows 8.2 desktop mode. Unlike the current Start button that Microsoft added to Windows 8.1, the new Start menu will be much more like the one Windows users have known and loved since Windows 95. Thurrott also says that the new version of Windows will allow for Metro apps to run as floating windows on the desktop screen, something that users can only do right now if they’ve installed third-party applications such as ModernMix.

Thurrott says that while these changes alone may not be enough to make hardcore desktop fans happy, it’s still "a good sign" that Microsoft is "continuing to do the right thing and responding to complaints. "

More: PCWorld.com > Report: Windows Start menu to return in Windows 8.2

Last edited: 2013/12/10
  2. 2013/12/10
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Removing the start menu is akin to removing the table of contents from a book. Something that never should have been done to non-touchscreen computers.

I've often wondered why MS just didn't create an off / on switch for this type of thing instead making the end user rely on third-party software to bring back the start menu.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/12/10
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

It comes down to the Metro screen and Tiles being suitable for Touch screen and we were probably supposed to buy new Touch screen comps.
    I think the "smart kids" at MS thought this would be the new generation way to go and didn't think outside the box.
    I'll stick with Classic Shell at the moment as it takes us "oldies" a little time to understand and comprehend these "new-fangled gadgets ".
    Heck, we only had the Abacus (if we were lucky) at school, but the kids today are getting iPads to play with at age 2 & 3 year olds - so they are ready for kindergarten. Neil.

5. 2013/12/11
    SpywareDr

6. 2013/12/11
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Not exactly. Microsoft is not in the monitor making business so they have no interest in us buying touchscreens for our computers.

It all boils down to the global trend of more and more computer users migrating away from PCs to handhelds - which already use "tiles ". The global drop in PC sales in recent years, and the increase in smart phones and tablets is evidence of that.

Windows OS smart phone market share is in the single digits to low teens globally with Android and iPhone dominating by large margins. And Microsoft, naturally wants a bigger piece of that market. And I don't a problem with that.

So to that end, Microsoft wants a "unified Windows OS ", a "One Windows" world where current PC users looking to buy their first new smart phone will pick up a Windows Phone and already know how to use it - no need to learn something new as they would with the Android or iPhone way of doing things. And then from there, they will be hooked on Windows Phones and become lifelong, loyal users. That's the hope and crux of the "Threshold initiative ".

But clearly, and once again, Microsoft marketing weenies have too big a say in strategic decisions at MS. They don't listen to their current customers, they just plod ahead with blinders (blinkers for our UK readers) on and envision all these new customers they "assume" are coming, and just expect the 100s of millions of current customers to accept and follow.

Sadly, this is character trait of the breed of humans known as "marketing weenies" and many [often missing] public relations (PR) people. It is not just Microsoft marketing weenies - but with them being such a HUGE company, their impact is correspondingly HUGE. We saw it before with IBM, Norton and Intel, to name but three.

OT - I say "often missing" PR people because I just saw the Kanye West news report where now he claims when he performs on stage,
    Police officer? In a war zone? Yeah, right! :mad: What an idiot! Where were his PR people then? And note this was after he compared himself to Jesus, Michelangelo, da Vinci and more. :rolleyes:

My grandmother would say this is what happens when someone gets "too big for their britches! "

Bill,
  7. 2013/12/11
    SpywareDr

Can I get an Amen!? Sheesh.

8. 2013/12/11
    MitchellCooley Lifetime Subscription

MitchellCooley Inactive

I am not sure the "original" start menu should return..... I picked up an "app" called Pokki. It looks good and is a well organized "start menu ".

Mitch

9. 2013/12/11
    Bill

Bill,
  10. 2013/12/11
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Quotes from the comments section...

I have said it all along

The REAL reason Microsoft is resistant to providing a real Windows 7 and earlier style interface is that 30% of the sale price of Metro applications sold are through the Microsoft App Store.​

and...

Apology Not Needed

I have so many programs on my computer the Windows 7 Start Menu is useless. I have basically turned the desk top into my Start Menu. The old Start Menu had become obsolete and something needed to be done.

I use the Metro interface only as a Start Menu. I did not like it at first because it was different but now I like better than the Windows 7 version. It has let me organize the programs I use the most into a much better Start Menu than the desk top. It is not perfect and still needs some work but it is better than the classic start menu. I still find some of its snap rules annoying. Still it is an improvement.

Also, classic start menu drove me nuts when things were 3 and 4 and more levels down. I would miss one level and have to begin the process of going to it all over again. The only thing I ever use the Windows 7 start menu for is for programs I have not used for more than a year and sometimes have never used. When you go to this part of the Metro Start Menu I find it much easier to find those seldom used programs.

I think in the really long run Metro will be credited with starting to improve the Start Menu.

The last comment makes sense, but I don't know if it would work for me because too much of my desktop space is cluttered anyway. :eek: Maybe two desktops is the way to go. :D

11. 2013/12/12
    SpywareDr

The Jekyll-and-Hyde monstrosity that is Windows 8 appear not to be the way forward. With over a years worth of stats now, it still doesn't look like Windows is going anywhere. In fact for the most recent month, Windows 7’s growth outpaced that of Windows 8.x by four fold.

Microsoft wants Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 users to upgrade, not hold back or switch to a totally different platform because they are worried about Windows 8's learning curves and/or retraining costs. A number of third-party tools, including Stardock's Start8, Classic Shell and Pokki, have found success with Start Menu add-ons designed for Windows 8.x.

12. 2013/12/12
    Bill

Comments section? I would not take comments from the comments section as anything but opinions of people (certainly not experts or MS insiders) blowing off steam.

The comment about Metro apps sold through the apps store being the "primary" reason is ridiculous and simple MS bashing. Even if 30% is correct, so what? Microsoft is a software company. They are in business to sell software, and make a profit. It is called free enterprise and it is how capitalism, and "free societies" work.

NO ONE HAS TO BUY "Metro" apps! And you can easily buy all your apps (MS made or not) from Best Buy, Amazon, Symantec or anywhere else.

Where's the bashing of Apple for pushing Apple apps through the Apple store? Apple has consistently been overpriced, proprietary, more forceful than just about any company! Apple iPhone Division is bigger than ALL of Microsoft!!! and yet MS is the greedy one! ???

Contrary to popular belief (especially among uninformed Microsoft bashers) making a profit does NOT equal "corporate greed "! For example, most people don't know or choose to ignore the fact that Microsoft is also, consistently one of the most charitable companies too - more so than Apple - which makes a LOT MORE MONEY than Microsoft!

It is so easy for bashers to totally ignore the fact you don't have to buy or run any Microsoft products on your computer to surf the Internet, create Word or Excel compatible documents and spreadsheets, listen to music or watch videos, or do their online banking.

Ford wants me to have all my service done at the Ford dealer and buy all my accessories, including clothing, through Ford parts. In fact, most car warranties will be voided if some 3rd party made accessories are added to the car. The taco recipe on my Old El Paso Taco shells says to use Old El Paso Taco Seasoning. I guess with your reasoning, my tacos will be ruined if I use McCormick Taco Seasoning. :(

The reason is clear - they want users comfortable with the metro style UI so users will go with a Windows phone. And from a marketing standpoint - when competing against Apple - that makes sense.

I am all for bashing Microsoft- when due! And certainly MS has done plenty to deserve bashing - including with the Metro UI. But let's at least base the bashing on facts, and not biases or unfounded rumors.

Well, sure! Nothing wrong with that. GM and Ford want car buyers to buy a new car every year too - or at least well before their old car becomes obsolete like XP has. But MS especially wants XP users to upgrade since they are the biggest threat to security and Microsoft always gets blamed for security even when it is not their fault.

Remember, unlike Norton/Symantec, McAfee, Avira, AVG, Kaspersky, Avast and the others, Microsoft has no financial incentive for malware to stick around.

Steve R Jones and virginia like this.
  13. 2013/12/14
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

What's the difference between have a start screen loaded with apps and a desktop with shortcuts to the same apps? I see no difference, myself, except that the apps on the start screen may be bigger.

User comments have always made a big difference to me, but you have weigh them out, and some have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Last edited: 2013/12/14
  14. 2013/12/15
    Bill

??? You don't "see" the difference??? Not sure how to answer that. The whole issue is about W8's Start Screen with tiles versus previous versions of Windows using the Desktop, Start Menu, and icons. It all about the "UI" or user interface. And that is all about what you "see" when Windows boots. If you don't "see" the difference between the metro style Start Screen with tiles and a Desktop with Icons and a Start menu, then I am at a loss for words. :confused:

The application, MS Word, for example, works the same once it is running, but that's not the controversy.

You should only give them consideration if MANY say the exact same thing. Other wise, it is likely just some one who does not know what they are talking about wanting to see their name in print - as evidenced by the "real reason" being the "Microsoft App Store" comment.

15. 2013/12/15
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

I was referring to function instead of looks. It seems to me that a desktop with app shortcuts would be the same thing as a start screen with app tiles.

16. 2013/12/15
    Bill

They are both UIs (user interfaces) - so in that respect, they are the same thing.

17. 2013/12/16
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

So does this mean that in order to have the full start menu in Windows 8 Pro it's going to cost $199.99. Who need the start menu. I pin to the taskbar and what I can't pin to the taskbar I create a shortcut.

18. 2013/12/16
    Bill

Huh? Where did you come up with that?

It costs nothing for Classic Shell and just $5 for Start8 to have a full start menu in W8.

19. 2013/12/16

Isn't it Microsoft's ultimate goal to get windows users to purchase from their Store. Sort of like Apple does. Unless I got it wrong.

20. 2013/12/17
    Bill

Of course Microsoft would prefer users buy their Microsoft products from the Microsoft Store - but their "ultimate goal "? No - not any more than Sprint, Verizon, or AT&T want you to buy from their stores. And Ford, GM, and BMW all want you to buy parts directly from the dealer's part's department. And for sure, Sears would like you to buy their Craftsman tools at a Sears store, but they are happy too if you buy your Craftsman tools at Ace Hardware.

Cutting out the middleman (the retail outlets) is always best for the manufacturers but they all have the same "ultimate goal" - "happy" customers for life - that is, "repeat" customers. So Sprint, Verizon, AT&T and Microsoft are all just as happy if you buy your products from Best Buy, Walmart or wherever.

My comment was in reference to a comment made in that ZDNet article (and quoted in this thread) about "the real reason" for the metro-style UI in W8. It is not to force users though the Microsoft Apps Store, but so users looking for a new smart phone will be able to pick up a Windows Phone and already know how to use it - and want it over an Apple or Android phone.

21. 2013/12/17

My wife retired from sears she used to work in tools. Never had a screwdriver in the house. Now we have every screwdriver imaginable. Associates discount is pretty nice.