1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Restore fails to complete.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by BobbyScot, 2014/12/02.

1. 2014/12/09
    Rainey

Rainey Inactive

You continue to ask questions that make us think you don't know the difference between window Backup or Windows System restore.
    "does this entail removing all current installed backups "
    Backups are not installed. Old backups that are listed in the backup software (not the list of System Restore points) should not be deleted unless no longer needed. At this point you don't know if they are good and still needed.

I am talking about Windows Backup. No you do not need to delete the old backups if you have free HDD space for the new backup. Just create a new full backup to a different location. If it completes without error then you could try and restore it, and if that completes without errors then you know your old backups are corrupted. If you still get errors then something else is wrong and you need to look in the event log for errors.

If your Windows System Restore points are not working than you need to look into what is wrong with that, and you would need to post some errors that are logged when it fails. Check your event viewer, in most cases something will be logged.

EDIT:
    See here
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/back-up-files#1TC=windows-7

Last edited: 2014/12/09
  2. 2014/12/10
    BobbyScot

BobbyScot Geek Member Thread Starter

It appears that the VSS is the cause. Checking Services, it shows as started - Manual. I tried using another Backup software title and again it failed stating not find a file, which probably again is VSS being the main fault.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/12/11
    Rainey

Rainey Inactive

Not sure what "another Backup software title and again it failed stating not find a file" means. The backup software can not find files to backup ?

To backup open files you will require VSS. The service being set to Manual means it should start when needed.

It is hard to help with out details of the software used, steps you take and the errors you get.

5. 2014/12/12
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Try heading over to the Malware forum and let broni check your machine out. He uses special tools and to me broni is the best around. Just to rule out any viruses or malware being present. It cannot hurt at least that is ruled out and you know your computer is clean. After all in your other thread the USB and DVD drive do not stop being recognized then all of a sudden are magically being recognized again. Either that or try reinstalling the OS. Everything else seems to be hitting a dead end.

6. 2014/12/12
    BobbyScot

Software used to backup, was Backupper which returned the same error "could not find file" as did Windows 7 Backup/Restore. I am convinced that this error is caused directly to VSS. I have checked entries in Services,
    and all seems correct. Reading other Forums, this error apparently is most common, suggestions when tried all point to malfunction of VSS. Microsoft has been known to be approached, and show apparently no interest or any suggestions in solving this error. How do you contact broni in Malware forum?

7. 2014/12/12
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

8. 2014/12/12
    Rainey

Rainey Inactive

Try this run CCleaner and clean out the temp folder.

From an internet search for that error

Problem:
    During backup, the following error message is being generated: Could not find file
    "C:WINDOWSTEMPxxxxxx.dll&#39
    Cause:
    Most probable cause is that windows could not generate a unique file name.
    Resolution:
    This can occur if there are too many temporary files on the temp location of Windows, in this case:
    C:WINDOWSTEMP.
    To resolve this, remove any unnecessary files from the temp location.

9. 2014/12/12
    BobbyScot

CCleaner is used most days, clearing out all temp files.

10. 2014/12/12
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi BobbyScot,
    What was the "installed item "?
    Was this an update or a software program you were using?
    I see Steve asked this question and you gave the answer as VSS problem. Neil.

Last edited: 2014/12/12
  11. 2014/12/12
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

12. 2014/12/13
    BobbyScot

retiredlearner,
    Since error of "backup" failure, I have read and tried dozens of entries/answers, each time returns the same error VSC can not be read.
    VSC [Manages] [ ] [Automatic] Local System. [Blank as to Started]
    SPP Notification Service [Provides Software Licensing activation] [ ]
    [Automatic] Local System. Both are referred when trying a backup procedure.
    I checked reference on .bak file in HKey_Local_machine\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Profile List. no listings of .bak file references.
    Apparently, some readers report back of being successful to rectify error. I note, some replies date back a few years. No help from Microsoft, though I believe Windows 10 has solution, so there is hope.

13. 2014/12/13
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Bobby, lets just keep this to one thread at a time please. You already posted in the Malware and Virus Removal Forum so follow the instructions given by broni and then post back in the Windows Help & Support not responding thread after your computer is declared clean.