1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Restore fails to complete.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by BobbyScot, 2014/12/02.

1. 2014/12/02
    BobbyScot

BobbyScot Geek Member Thread Starter

Windows 7 Home Premium Backup software completes without any errors reported. Using the Restore facility for the Backup saved, informs that several files were not changed making the Restore incomplete. This error on Restore has once again started, using later dated restores, displays the same result of several files not being changed. Thanks Bobby.

2. 2014/12/02
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Is there any particular reason why you are performing a system restore?

lj50,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/12/02
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

I think he's trying to restore from backup which is different than a system restore.

5. 2014/12/02

Thanks Steve. Maybe I misunderstood the original post. I read earlier dates and thought is was associated with a system restore.

Last edited: 2014/12/02
    lj50,
  6. 2014/12/02
    BobbyScot

I carry out each month a backup of my C drive using Windows 7 installed Backup/Restore facility. From time to time, I require to restore a saved backup to correct a malfunction of my computer. Last two Restore have failed to complete, stating some backup files were not found and system was not changed. I am puzzled as the Backups were completed satisfactory, what caused several files to be ignored? Thanks Bobby.

7. 2014/12/03
    Steve R Jones

Bobby, a regular "System Restore" might be quicker and easier. Did you try that?

8. 2014/12/03
    BobbyScot

Steve, thanks for suggestion. In Windows 7, clicking the Restore icon, is this different from System Restore? Sorry, my own memory is beginning to fail me, curse of old age.

9. 2014/12/03
    Steve R Jones

"Ever wish you could turn back the clock after a bad crash? With Windows, you can. "

System Restore

10. 2014/12/03
    BobbyScot

Steve, that is exactly what procedure I carry out when I restore computer to an earlier time, usually a date that I know no problems were experienced. I carried out the Restore in question displayed error.Thanks Bobby.

11. 2014/12/03
    Steve R Jones

Are you sure?
    Two times above you mention -> "I carry out each month a backup of my C drive using Windows 7 installed Backup/Restore facility. "

That is different from the System Restore I mentioned. Windows automatically makes restore points when you install new software etc....

12. 2014/12/03

Steve earlier dates is what prompted me to think it was a system restore. Backups is what got me confused.

13. 2014/12/04
    BobbyScot

Steve, in Windows 7 there are two options 1. Backup 2. Restore. I refer to the Backup that I presume backs up all software installed in the C drive and is added to the list of previous Backups. When required to have a restore, I then select one from the dates shown, which I think corresponds to an earlier date when computer was working satisfactory. As said previously, select(ed) restore fails to complete and computer remains unchanged. Error occurs no matter which backup date is selected. Thanks Bobby.

14. 2014/12/04
    Steve R Jones

Actually there is a Third option called "System Restore. "

Example: When you install Windows Updates, Windows will automatically create a restore point....which will allow you to roll back the pc to where it was before you installed them.

The link I posted above walks you through doing a system restore.

15. 2014/12/04

Are you creating another backup or trying to restore back to an earlier date? If you are trying restore back to an earlier date. What problem are you experiencing that you need to either restore or backup to an earlier point in time?

16. 2014/12/04
    BobbyScot

Computer was showing that an installed item was no longer functioning properly. I carried out the same steps as given earlier in this thread. I selected a backup from the listed available Backups under Restore, clicking Restore, it started to restore but did not complete as it could not trace certain files in the selected Backup. All tries to use another Restore date equally failed.Thanks Bobby.

17. 2014/12/04
    Steve R Jones

Details please.... Which installed item? And do you agree with the computer that the item wasn't functioning properly? Or is the MSE situation?

18. 2014/12/04

Is this in reference to Microsoft Security Essentials. Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the program? I believe it is now called Windows Defender. I have a disk with win 10 Tech Preview which I use Windows Defender and Windows Firewall this setup works well. You backups may have somehow gotten corrupted. After all it's technology, any thing is liable to happen at any given time. Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator. Type in sfc /scannow then hit enter and give it some time to complete.

Last edited: 2014/12/04
  19. 2014/12/05
    BobbyScot

I am experiencing both troubles, though Backup/Restore has been experienced longer.

20. 2014/12/08
    Rainey

Rainey Inactive

In windows 7 the default backup software is a cheap version of acronis TI. It is OK to backup a workstation as long as you do not have server software and open databases. These open files many times may fail to be backed up in the free version of windows 7 backup software. If you were to use many other 3rd party backup software or even Acronis TI home it can backup these open database files correctly.

Also the other issue with the windows 7 backup software is by default it is set to backup incrementally for every. That means the first backup is a full backup and all the rest are added to it (this is bad) as it could have been over a year ago since the last full backup. At any point one bad backup happens and the backups are bad for ever until a fresh full backup is made. This sounds like what has happened to you, you may have deleted some older backup files to free up space but never made a new fresh backup to start over again.

Try and do a new backup from scratch. It wont help you restore to an older time but will tell if it works correctly.

Last edited: 2014/12/08
  21. 2014/12/08
    BobbyScot

Thank you for suggestions. I bought Acronis sometime back, and this software did not work well for me, to such an extent that I was forced to uninstall, as many other files installed became malfunction. You mention a new backup from scratch, does this entail removing all current installed backups and carrying out another new backup, after removing all backups listed? Thanks Bobby.