1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Xp is crashing! BSOD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tcm9669, 2007/07/15.

1. 2007/08/24
    mailman Lifetime Subscription

mailman Geek Member

For everyone's convenience, here's a link to Tcm9669's HJT log thread in the "Removing Spyware & Viruses" forum. ;)

2. 2007/08/24

mailman Geek Member

Post #131:
    From Tcm9669's first HJT log:
    • RapGet (GET files from RAPidshare) || Rapidshare Downloader:
    I suggest you uninstall your RapidShare Downloader application (whatever it may be) and any other associated software (such as FlashGet) to see if that might be the culprit. ;)

NOTE: If you make any changes to your computer (such as uninstalling applications), then I suggest you immediately post a follow-up message in your HJT log thread telling exactly what you did and then post a fresh HJT log.

EDIT: Wikipedia Information:

Last edited: 2007/08/24

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/08/24
    Dennis L Lifetime Subscription

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

Having formatted 6 times and have BSOD's during XP setup, I would start reviewing / checking Hardware - something is weak. Today I work, tomorrow I throw sporadic "almost work "... these can be a most difficult to track. This is a long thread, just browsed it, but if you can / want to systematically change memory, PSU, remove any non-essentials (including USB attached) devices may assist in narrowing down. I've previously had a MOBO and memory sticks which both worked, but over time their ability to function or fail was do to a continually shrinking temperature range requirement of the component.
    DRIVERS - Not much to say other than all current and properly loaded.
    XP setup from CD - Possible have a bad write somewhere on CD's. Possible to use/borrow a different set.

5. 2007/08/24
    segejames

segejames Inactive

Sounds like HW to me. Try the ram, then I would go cpu/mobo next.

6. 2007/08/24
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

I've posted to your HijackThis log topic.

I noticed that the webcam(?) drivers were still loading in the last few dumps. Did you ever remove it?

7. 2007/08/25
    Tcm9669

Tcm9669 Inactive Thread Starter

@ Arie
    Thanks for making that thread.

@ peterdiva
    As I have told million times, I had 2 RAM modules that were corrupted, thats why, but now I have one module, new and tested.

@ mailman
    Thanks for linking and RapGet had no installation, just extract and run and I didn't run it for a very long time now, and even FlashGet I didn't run it.

@ Dennis L
    I think it is hardware, We nearly did everything possible. And yes I did use another XP CD and the computer still crashed.

@ segejames
    Ram is good and new.

@ noahdfear no I didn't remove it because I started with removing the Printer, now that it crashed I will remove something else.

8. 2007/08/25
    peterdiva

peterdiva Inactive

Tested how? It's unlikely that two RAM modules would fail at the same time, unless something caused them to fail.

9. 2007/08/25
    Tcm9669

They didn't fail at the same time, one of them was corrupted and I told my dad, but he didn't want to change it! then the other one corrupted too!! And the technicians tested it and it should be fine as it's just a few weeks old! Let's leave the RAM out please! I even brought one module from another computer that was/is running fine and inserted it into mine and it sill crashed (I stated this in this thread a few posts back)

10. 2007/08/25
    rsjones

rsjones Inactive

Hi all

I am new on the BBS and at the risk of sounding like a smart a?? I must say!

6 format and re-installs

changed tested swapped ram

changed PSU

Dumps that point everywhere

Dumps are useless now.

This is clearly hardware.

cpc2004 seems to have been ignored.

Jakex referred to wall outlet power.

In these hot days with AC wide open and straining the electrical grid a brown out could do this and not be noticable. But in your home have you noticed blinks or dimming of the lights?

Bad grounds and ground faults not really apparent in other appliances will effect a computer when it will not seem to effect anything else.

An online "Line conditioning" UPS battery backup would eleminate the above.

Otherwise get some temp measurements over a day both while idleing and while processing with a load.

If heat is close to high range consider adding another "HIGH VELOCITY" fan for additional cooling. Next best if no fan slots available the replace one of the existing fans with a "HIGH VELOCITY" fan.

Has the processor been tweaked? Even if you did not do it. Some sellers do it. If the processor voltage can be lowered on this machine take it back one notch. Will slow it down but will pinpoint the problem.

rs

EDIT: Bad power, brownouts, bad grounds and ground faults will contribute to PSU failure. Ring a Bell?

11. 2007/08/25
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

After reading your response to peterdiva's question, about the only conclusion one can draw is that there is little if any chance this will ever be resolved. Hopefully, blue is one of your favorite colors.
    :rolleyes:

Last edited: 2007/08/25
  12. 2007/08/25
    Tcm9669

Well since I have been having BSODs, blue is not my top favorite colors, but now I'm getting used to these! Hope times goes by so I can buy a new PC!

13. 2007/08/25

mailman Geek Member

I think this might be my last gasp.

And, yes, I will mention RAM because I still think your RAM may be faulty, incompatible with your motherboard, or RAM adjustments need to be made. (Supporting details are below.)

Post #78:
    (I bolded/underlined items above for the focus of this message. Experts do not typically use the word "always" when diagnosing problems.)

MSI Computer Corp. - Product: PX8 Neo-V (MSI Part No: MS-7043)
    • (I am still ASSUMING this is Tcm9669's motherboard because Everest is apparently not always accurate and I do not think we have confirmed this is the motherboard model information printed on Tcm9669's motherboard.)
    From Tcm9669's First Everest Report:
    Samsung is not listed in MSI's "Supported Memory" list. Therefore, it might not be compatible with Tcm9669's motherboard. Also, the RAM voltage, speed, and/or timings set in the BIOS may need to be adjusted.

:eek: I typed that "dirty" acronym! :eek:

Last edited: 2007/08/26
  14. 2007/08/26
    Tcm9669

Well it is not a Samsung, it's an Elixir. As far as I can see I have this one:
    http://www.platechnology.com/catalog/images/MEMELI1GBDDR400.gif or something similar. BUT if it is not compatibly, why didn't my PC crash from the first day I bought it? It started crashing some months ago! (perhaps even more than a year)

15. 2007/08/26

mailman Geek Member

FWIW, I used to have two 512MB elixir sticks in my computer (years ago) and one of them was faulty. In fact, I still have the faulty stick wrapped in an information sheet I probably downloaded from the Internet that lists the specs. I wrote on the sheet, "BAD MODULE (ERROR ON BOOT MEMORY TEST) ".
    • My Faulty Module:
      • Brand: elixir
      • M2U51264DS8HA0G-75B
      • 512MB DDR-266MHz-CL2.5
      • PC2100U-25330
      • 0202.E9101-0078M
    This is the information printed on an elixir sticker stuck to the module.

I probably will never buy an elixir stick again and I probably will never recommend the brand to others. ;)

16. 2007/08/26
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

That statement suggests that you still have one of the original RAM modules installed. I was under the impression, based on your comments in this post, that the RAM was defective and had been replaced. :confused: Please clear up my confusion on this matter. Did you purchase a new module of the same brand?

When I suggested unhooking unnecessary periphrels, I meant all of them, not just one. Disconnect them all. If the BSODs stop, reconnect and run for a time to see if it's the culprit before attaching another.

17. 2007/08/27
    Tcm9669

Yes of the same brand, but instead of 2 modules of 512Mb, it's just ONE module of 1Gb! But of the same brand.

18. 2007/08/27

mailman Geek Member

Tcm9669,

Post #131:
    From Post#146:
    From Post #142:
    It appears you are indeed running Flashget every time you boot your computer.

You have posted five times in this thread since noahdfear gave you recommendations in your HJT log thread but you have not posted even one reply in that thread.

Have you chosen to ignore noahdfear's recommendations? :confused:

Would be nice if we could get some of these possible culprits out of the equation.

19. 2007/08/28
    Tcm9669

Well for sure FlashGet is not on my system, because the temp files are deleted frequently. And I tried browsing there but the file was not found, so it can't be running.

20. 2007/08/28

mailman Geek Member

Good! :)

I suggest following up in your HJT thread to let noahdfear know what advice you followed and post a fresh HJT log. ;)

noahdfear is a wizard with such things and I'm pretty sure he'll help you along the way if you cooperate. :)