1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

XP Install Problems, BSOD'S, chkdsk hangs,files not copied, etc

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by bluepeter75, 2006/07/04.

1. 2006/07/12
    bluepeter75

bluepeter75 Inactive Thread Starter

The system was stable in this configuration. Legend has it that the problems started when my step-daughter was downloading Shockwave player and interrupted it halfway through. I'm pretty sure we can discount this.

I know it started as once in a while BSOD, and got slowly but steadily worse.

You're more than welcome to!

Now, down to business! When I got home from work, the memory diagnostics had run 15 passes, and generated 14 errors. I could only see the bottom 5, but each pass had the same error:

Test Cache Address Expected Actual
    MATS+ off 0e7cc01c ffffffff fffffeff

I hope that makes more sense to you than it does to me, but at least I know there is an error in that memory (don't I???)

So, I put the 2x256 back in, and while booting up Windows got a BSOD. It's doing full memory dumps now, and part of the debuglog is:

BugCheck A, {a04e37bc, 2, 0, 804eb436}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify checksum for libxml2.dll
    *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for libxml2.dll -
    Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( nt!MiDeleteVirtualAddresses+167 )

I'm losing faith in these as they almost all say different things. Again, I have the full log if anyone wants a look.

I have the offer (I think) of an XP CD with SP2 on it (thanks Colin!) which I will try rather than messing about with Nero, I think. I'm hoping I can try this tomorrow.

I'm off now to try the memory diagnostics on extended test with the 2 x 256Mb sticks in.

Wish me luck! :)

2. 2006/07/12
    bluepeter75

And I'm back!!

The 2x256Mb memory tested fine after 3 extended passes of the diagnostics. Fine, lets start Windows and see what happens - BSOD. This time IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, STOP 0x0000000A.

I restarted the computer, and walked away. When I came back (10 mins) it was BSOD again, same error msg. Oh well, I'll try the Win XP SP2 CD tomorrow. :rolleyes:

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/07/12
    kiwicolin

kiwicolin Inactive

Good luck with the disk mate!

5. 2006/07/12
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

I'd suggest at this point that you get some good memory. Corsair and OCZ are my preferences and with that board you can probably buy the inexpensive Corsair and do just fine. Purchase PC2700 or PC3200 and just get one stick of 512 for the time being. You also can't go wrong with Samsung and its excellent memory for the price.

;)

6. 2006/07/12
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Mattman et al

I certainly didn't intend to take this thread over and I'd be disappointed if everyone got gun shy re: resolving this problem. Its only through a combination of thoughts and experiences from a host of contributors that a solution is going to be flushed out. Maybe I've stepped over the line here and its me who needs to shut up for a while. Please accept my apologies if I've offended anyone.

Regards,
    ;)

7. 2006/07/13
    bluepeter75

So long as you don't all stop posting! Kiwicolin brought me the XP CD with SP2 last night. I ran sfc /scannow twice and it got about 20% through it then BSOD. We then ran chkdsk /r again. About 45 mins later when it finished (is this too long?) I ran sfc /scannow again. This time it got to around 80-85% then BSOD. I'm going to keep trying. Off to work now. :)

8. 2006/07/13
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

I'll have a turn of the speaking stick :) I'm not offended by anything. Pete did what I should have done and said to wait until the testing was completed before considering the BIOS upgrade. I should have said this myself, but wondered if you would like to comment. I think the BIOS upgrade would not be a bad thing. There are 12 upgrades listed with all sorts of fixes. I have had upgrades help me with things that were not listed in the descriptions and I think BIOSes can even be incorrectly installed originally. Bluepeter75, if the suggestions do not work, do the upgrade. Follow the instructions carefully. The "previso" about updating the BIOS at the website download page is about doing them when there is no need...you HAVE a need :)

Suggestion, do some more borrowing of RAM, just in case. Asrock are not in the premium end of the market. You may end up with good quality RAM, but need another motherboard to match it. Yes, no, maybe Rockster? I will go with any of Rockster's conclusions. My suggestions are just speculation because I have not seen these types of problems before (at least not all together like this).

Matt

Last edited: 2006/07/13
  9. 2006/07/13
    bluepeter75

Ok, while I had the disk, I thought I would try a different tack. I installed XP SP2 on the 4Gb hard drive (the one I had problems installing my XP on). Obviously I can only use this as a diagnostic, as I have 30 days to activate it, so I hope I'm not breaking any laws here (I probably am, but only for 30 days and my intentions are good). :)

Anyway, it installed fine, and I installed AOL broadband Gold as well. Seemed to run ok but I didn't test it for very long, I thought I'd better install anti-virus again. I installed Panda (Platinum 2006) downloaded from their website. When it had finished installing, I rebooted and BSOD!

Is this a coincidence? I tend to think so, but I can uninstall Panda and use AVG free or something if you think it'll help. But I do think it must be a hardware issue. I am going to keep trying sfc /scannow to see if I can get a full run out of it, but I think this latest BSOD has kind of discounted that as the main problem anyway (clean install from different disk, clean HDD).

I'm putting the original hard drive in now and trying sfc.

Fingers crossed. :)

10. 2006/07/13
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I doubt that Panda is the source of your problems, but AVG Free is just that - recommended, so why not give that a whirl and eliminate Panda fronm the equation?

I admire your tenacity in trying to solve this, but if I was a betting man - which I am not :) I would put money on you replacing the motherboard sooner rather than later.

11. 2006/07/13
    bluepeter75

The reason I don't ditch Panda is that I pay for it 12 months in advance and I'm from Aberdeen ;) (Did you know copper wire was invented by two Aberdonians fighting over a 2 pence piece?)

Yeah, maybe. I don't know if its tenacity or stubborness, but each step I try I'm learning things, which may come in handy in the future. I suppose I'm getting some kind of enjoyment out of this, it's hard to tell as my scalp hurts from pulling my hair out!

Update: I've tried sfc /scannow again to no avail, it got to about 10% complete before BSOD. For want of any other positive action, I updated the BIOS. I can't tell you if its made any difference as I've just finished, but it seemed to work ok and the computer is working for the moment. I will keep trying sfc /scannow (because I'm stubborn).

Rockster2U, mattman, where do I go from here or is PeteC right and I should bite the bullet and get a new motherboard?

Rockster2U, do you still think I should buy more memory? I am leaning towards it being £40 wasted if thats not the problem. Having said that, I should really give my brother in law back his 2x256 so the only stick I own is testing bad anyway!

I'll hear from you when time zones allow, thanks guys. :)

Last edited: 2006/07/13
  12. 2006/07/13
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

No - and I spent 35 years working in the copper industry as a development metallurgist/engineer :D

Seriously dump Panda for a day or so and try AVG - that's free which should appeal to you :) At least get Panda out of the equation for a while - then return to it when you have sorted things out. I don't think it has any bearing on your problems, but 'grasping at straws' comes to mind.

13. 2006/07/13
    bluepeter75

I would love to - I just downloaded and installed AVG Free, updated and did a full scan (nothing to report). When I tried to uninstall Panda, it said "Found missing or corrupt files from a previous install" or something similar and told me to reboot. I did that, when I tried to uninstall, "setup.exe" was missing. It couldn't find it, so won't uninstall. I tried to remove it in Add/Remove programs but it's having none of it, it just flashes the add/remove window off and back on.

Good job we don't think it's Panda causing it!

14. 2006/07/13
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

You should reinstall Panda then immediately uninstall it. That should remove it all. What did you say, "fingers crossed" :)

15. 2006/07/14
    bluepeter75

Fingers crossed for luck, sfc never works.

I will try reinstalling then uninstalling Panda tonight.

In my opinion, we have then ruled out software and drivers (new install XP v old install with updated drivers).

So we are really left with:
    Memory (if both sets are faulty);
    Motherboard;
    modem (BT Voyager ADSL USB);
    keyboard or mouse (now THAT'S grasping at straws).

Is this right or am I overlooking something?

I will try to borrow more memory, if I get crashes with 3 different lots of memory, can I rule this out as a cause?

If so, I think PeteC's money is in the bank! :)

16. 2006/07/14
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

As long as each set of memory tested is compatible with the motherboard that would be a reasonable conclusion.

17. 2006/07/14
    bluepeter75

Sorry, I thought you said "Why did you say fingers crossed?" It was 6am here when I read your post! :eek:

How can I be sure I'm using compatible memory, I thought that was defined by speed, is there anything else I need to check? I have some sticks of 64Mb lying about at home, is it possible to run XP on so little memory? If so, that should help rule memory out. I'm not sure what speed the memory is though, I'll check at home (It's 9:20am now, I'll try it in about 7 hours and post back unless you tell me otherwise) :)

18. 2006/07/14
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

19. 2006/07/14
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Long story short :)

Run Everest with each of the modules loaded and check out motherboard > SPD where you should see details of the installed memory modules - note the details. You can print out, but I don't recall a printer being installed (Report > Custom and just select SPD)

Then go to www.crucial.com/uk and work through their memory selector to this page ....

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/lis...+&mfr=ASRock&tabid=AM&model=K7S41GX&submit=Go and compare specs. Actually I've done the search for you :)

20. 2006/07/14
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

bluepeter:

good morning - glad to learn you continue to look on the bright side despite your current system woes. Recapping a little recent activity (and please comment & correct if this is misrepresentative), it seems the 512 PC2700 has been determined to be problematic, the 2x256 Brother-in-Law PC2100 is a system mismatch, Panda is corrupted and parts of it still inhabit your system, AVG has been installed wit no apparent ill effects, SFC /scannow will not run without a freeze or BSOD, you have successful re-flashed your BIOS (brave soul), and you and Pete are looking for old stock certificates issued by Anaconda. As an aside, your clean install experiment gave you a little diversion but no lasting relief.

So - next steps? Good question. The decision to buy or not to buy any memory is not a clearcut choice. It might not resolve your problem - there are obviously some other issues with your machine that may or may not be a result of memory related problems. If you don't buy any new memory, we have to assume that blue is your favorite color and you won't grow tired of it anytime soon. If you do buy new memory, blue still might be your favorite color and you'll have a little less green in your pocket. Is it worth taking a chance - your call, but to do nothing - I don't think you stand much of a chance in getting that box to run regardless of what else you try.

A couple words of caution - not all memory is created equally and you can't just throw anything in there that fits the socket, so stop trying. Crucial is a good recommendation. If it doesn't work, you can always sell it on ebay and recoup some of your investment.

Now, a couple of sure things. You need to clean the rest of that Panda stuff out of your system (go back and look at one of the errors you posted a couple of pages ago). Assuming you followed Mattman's advice and were able to uninstall it, there are still a couple of things you should do. Get RegCleaner, install it and take out anything and everythin Panda related. Reboot and then go back in do a registry search for Panda using Reg Seeker. Remove anything it finds and then you can go into your system using Windows Explorer and delete any remaining Panda files and folders you find.

If and I know its a big [SIZE= "5"]IF[/SIZE], you get some decent memory, try SFC /scannow again and then if no soap, back up anything important and try a repair install. In the meantime, I think you will have fewer problems and it will make it easier for all of those trying to assist you if you leave your other hardware alone (ATI video card and old modem stay on the kitchen table for the time being).

Last question - can you borrow some decent memory from the guy who built your machine with the understanding that if it works you give him lots of copper and if it doesn't you give him your thanks and appreciation when you return it?

Good Luck - I'm also glad to see you have several very good minds working on your behalf, posting comments.

;)

21. 2006/07/14
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

What I was saying was to remove Panda completely. Reinstall it and uninstall it.

(Pete and) I cannot rule out that Panda is not the cause.

You said that the system was running well without Panda.

If you do not connect the 4Gb drive to the internet you don't really need an antivirus program (depending on what other drives are connected to the system that may contain viruses).

Post back if my shorthand has caused confusion :), again? :D

Matt