1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Why deleted E-mails remain shown in Start [in Windows Live Mail]

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by BobbyScot, 2013/03/15.

1. 2013/03/15
    BobbyScot

BobbyScot Geek Member Thread Starter

Checked Live Mail by Start>type live mail, displays that 73 entries remain on computer. I thought that by delete-ting entries in Windows Live Mail where executed then. What is required to delete unwanted mail permanently and not as at present..

2. 2013/03/15
    MitchellCooley Lifetime Subscription

MitchellCooley Inactive

Are you using POP3 or IMAP? I realize you likely already did this but: you can click on the "x" next to the "deleted items" folder to permanently delete deleted messages.

There are also other options under File>Options>Mail>Advanced tab> Maintenance

Mitch

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/03/15
    BobbyScot

Virgin Media use the POP3 mode. I am not clear on File>Options>Mail>Advanced>Maintenence, where do you go for this step? Thank you mitch.

5. 2013/03/15

MitchellCooley Inactive

There are some changes between Windows 7 and Windows 8 (which I have) live mail so I will have to research the proper menu items. OR someone with the right answer now can hop in and answer.

One other question though would be do you have your live mail "removing the messages from the server" after retrieving?

Mitch

6. 2013/03/15
    BobbyScot

Windows 7 Live Mail, after reading content of mail, using the "Delete ", right click on message then clicking delete removes message to "Delete item ". Clicking "Delete Item" displays message again, clicking delete displays "Do you want to delete item/folder permanently ". I was under the impression that clicking OK did just that, apparently not so, as it appears as a heading in "Search program and files ".

7. 2013/03/15

MitchellCooley Inactive

There should be a small "x" to the right of the Deleted Items folder name. if you click the "x" the system should ask if you want to empty the deleted items folder. click yes.

Mitch

8. 2013/03/15
    BobbyScot

Mitch, thinking back on this, I always click the "Yes" and hold the up arrow key at the same time (read years ago of this tip). Not all mail shows up in the Start> Search Programs and Files - main files in question refer to Maplins and other various traders.

9. 2013/03/16

MitchellCooley Inactive

Now we're getting to the crux of the problem,,, it is just certain emails that are not getting removed?

NOTE: Try one thing at a time, close windows live mail, open it, delete the email, close it, reopen, see if they are gone. If you try them all at once, we'll never know what fixed it -if it fixes it....

You can try deleting those emails directly from C:\Users\ [your account name] \AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

Or:

There should be a little menu icon in the upper left corner of the live mail window. Click that then select options > mail and in the advanced tab there will be a maintenance button. Under maintenance check the box to empty deleted emails folder upon exit. OK your way out and see if that helps.

Try the above first

Another option is to reset live mail [this is generally used when live mail is freezing but may help]: Click the Start button> navigate to Computer > C:\> Program Files (x86)> Windows Live> Installer> wlarp.exe.

Double-click the wlarp.exe file and the Windows Live screen opens up. Click the Repair button and then click Continue. Wait while the file is being repaired. When done, reboot your computer and open up Windows Live Mail.
    And see if the deleted emails stay deleted.

We're getting close to the end of my "expertise ". If either of these don't work we'll have to call on the real experts.......

Mitch

10. 2013/03/16
    BobbyScot

Hello Mitch, suggestions are most appreciated, thank you. I checked and set the pages as appropriate. In Start, under documents, remains 73 files and I presume some can refer to E-mails. A few refer to WindowsBBS forum, opening one refers to a large script on BBS being run by volunteers etc.

11. 2013/03/16

MitchellCooley Inactive

So these aren't showing up in Windows Live Mail Deleted Items folder? They are files in your Documents folder?

12. 2013/03/16
    BobbyScot

Files were originally sent by WLM from senders and after reading same files were deleted through WLM by myself. Why they still show in Start is a mystery to me.

13. 2013/03/17
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

It may be due to indexing.

Improve Windows searches using the index: frequently asked questions

BobbyScot likes this.
  14. 2013/03/17
    BobbyScot

Running the Indexing without any changes made. Results shows that I have 2,790 files.

15. 2013/03/17
    SpywareDr

16. 2013/03/17
    BobbyScot

Do you leave boxes ticked as default or which additonal boxes do you now tick? or untick?

17. 2013/03/17
    SpywareDr

18. 2013/03/17
    BobbyScot

Can you help please, where do I check WLM setup to store files. I am not at all used with working Indexing Options.

19. 2013/03/18
    SpywareDr

Where do you have WLM setup to store your mail?

The default for Windows 7 is:
    Code:
    C:\Users\[color=silver][i]{username}[/i][/color]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail
    (where {username} is the name you use to log onto Windows).

And in Windows XP:
    Code:
    C:\Documents and Settings\[color=silver][i]{username}[/i][/color]\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

20. 2013/03/18
    BobbyScot

WLM is stored on the "C" drive. All E-mails in general are erased after reading them, a few stored in Drafts until fully attended to. Any mail referring to offers etc are deleted after reading or deleted without opening.

21. 2013/03/18
    SpywareDr