1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Unknown caption shown at startup.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by BobbyScot, 2018/04/03.

1. 2018/04/11
    jholland1964

jholland1964 Well-Known Member

Don't know what browser you are using but usually when you cannot remain signed into a website like this one means that you are not keeping 1st party cookies in the browser but have the browser set to delete all 1st party cookies when it is closed. The correct setting is keep 1st party cookies and Block 3rd party cookies.
    The reset of the modem/router combo has been suggested many times, have you done this? The 192.168.0.1 you are seeing is very often the default IP address of routers and since yours is a modem/router combo this may be the reason you keep seeing this.The check you did earlier actually showed this is the case;
    "Checked 192.168.0.1 using ipconfig with Windows Powershell (Administrator).
    This showed: Wireless Lan Adapter wfi.
    Media state - media Disconnected"

Your continued turning off each night may have caused the error because doing that can cause the original settings to become corrupted. This message you receive on boot up appears to me anyway that the router is looking for the wireless item but cannot find it.
    Doing the reset as suggested may fix the problem.
    Since you said that you have no need for wi-fi this means you have a desktop computer not a laptop correct?

Last edited: 2018/04/11
  2. 2018/04/11
    alanrf

alanrf Well-Known Member

When you login in to this excellent resource, you should see an option to Save password, or Keep me signed in. Can't recall atm because I've never need to re-login after my first time on this computer - all taken care of automatically. This should let you auto login next time.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2018/04/11
    gus boy

gus boy Well-Known Member

Well Bobby, I just noticed that your first post on the subject was April 03, so there might be a lag in responses to your message. Be patient; if this is some form of attack, you'll be hearing from other victims in no time. I was going to comment on your sign-in problem possibly being a cookie situation, but I see that this has been covered. Just one other suggestion: I now recall having difficulty getting online after start-up, which appeared to be caused by my router not being completely online before the computer attempting to access the Web. This appeared to cause a hangup in the computer-router connection which frequently called for a reboot, or a recycling of the router power. Sometimes as well, the power handling setting of the computer will take a swipe at start-up and especially shut-down routines. I know that this may be of little immediate use to you, but hopefully an extra idea or two will point the way. BTW, I've also found that occasionally these hiccups disappear as quickly as they appeared. Good luck, and keep posting.
    gus boy

5. 2018/04/11
    BobbyScot

BobbyScot Geek Member Thread Starter

I keep clicking the stay on line with Windowsbbs, but still require to sign in at each start up. Only started up yesterday - been using this site since 2009. My computer is a HP Desktop. Patience is my only chance in solving this fault, with the help of you good people. Entering 192.168.0.1 at different points results with the same outcome of not being recognised. I have read that many other people with Virgin are experiencing the same trouble, and will remain so until Virgin changes it attitude -- we are right, you are all at fault. Thank you all in trying to solve this problem, appreciated. I will check settings on Cookies.

6. 2018/04/11
    jholland1964

What browser do you use Bobby?

7. 2018/04/11
    BobbyScot

Windows IE 11.

8. 2018/04/11
    jholland1964

Too bad, not a very secure browser. To check to be sure that you have the correct cookie setting go to Internet Options and on the General Tab be sure there is NO checkmark in Delete Browsing History on exit. Next go to the Privacy Tab, Advanced Setting. Put a dot in Always accept 1st Party Cookies and a dot in Always BLOCK 3rd Party Cookies.

9. 2018/04/11
    BobbyScot

jl, thanks for information, dealt with. Bobby.

jholland1964 likes this.
  10. 2018/04/11
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Bobby, you have the Remember me checked?
    Have you cleared all Temp Files?
    Have you run MBAM?

11. 2018/04/11
    gus boy

Bobby, here's a reference which just might have a bearing on your problem. It deals with a possible attempt at humor by an IT in an office somewhere, which obviously went cold with the office staff effected. I followed up the Regedit path as laid out in my machine, and can understand where a registry instruction, however introduced, could cause your problem. I'm certainly not advocating a wholesale leap into Registry manipulation, but if you're familiar with the Registry and Regedit functions, you might want to take a look. I would suggest that you wait awhile as other forum members will probably (and rightly so) warn you against going near the Registry, but if handled very carefully, and backed up before any manipulation (which I'm confident you're well versed in), registry adjustment can be very satisfying, when the desired fix is accomplished. So much for the disclaimer, now here's the URL:
    Disable that Annoying Windows Logon Warning Message
    Have fun.
    gus boy

12. 2018/04/11
    jholland1964

The message that Bobby is receiving is a legitimate message, not a joke and likely has to do with his new HUB.3 Modem/Router combo from Virgin. It is very unlikely that a registry edit is indicated here and unless a person is very knowledgeable about working in the registry and doing registry edits they are not recommended because an incorrect registry edit can toast the computer.

13. 2018/04/12
    gus boy

Bobby, I found a thread in a Virginmedia forum, detailing a problem just marginally similar to you, which led me to thinking about problems I've encountered in 25+ year of sparring with these infernal machines. Remember DOS?
    Anyway, I'll include a roadsign at the end of this, but first, here's a suggestion so simple that I've often come back to find it the root of an elusive fault on more than one occasion. As you've indicated that you don't have a wireless router in your system, it follows that computer and modem are connected with an Ethernet cable. I don't remember seeing any mention in your thread of giving the Ethernet cable any attention in your troubleshooting routine. How about disconnecting both ends of the cable, giving the plugs and the corresponding sockets on computer and modem for any disfigurement, etc, and then re-attaching the connection. Further, you might consider acquiring a substitute cable, just in case. I know that this sounds like a long shot, but there's always the possibility that an intermittent short in the cable or at an attachment point can temporarily prevent faultless operation. This applies to virtually any collection of devices that need electrical connectivity to function properly, and is sometimes the most elusive and most difficult intermittent fault to troubleshoot.
    BTW, I wholeheartedly agree with the comment of my esteemed fellow member, jholland , regarding messing around with the Registry. As I said in my post, there be dragons, and one can truly brick his machine unless he is well-versed in the correct techniques in this area. Here's the thread I mentioned earlier:

Solved: Superhub 3 Wifi Issues - Virgin Media Community.

I hope that posting this reference doesn't put me in violation of this forum's code of conduct. I'll be reviewing the rulebook as soon as this is complete.

gus boy

14. 2018/04/12
    BobbyScot

gus boy thanks for the detailed information, and entering the Registry. With care, I have for years ventured into the Dark Registry but with the upmost care. Carried out the Registry entries, and found Legal Notice Text and Legal Notice Caption are both shown but value blank for both. I really hoped this exercise would prove successful but not so. What ever is cause of this error, must be embedded deep in the Registry. Thanks, appreciated.

15. 2018/04/13
    BobbyScot

Snipping Modem error 5.4.18..PNG Snipping Modem error 5.4.18..PNG Snipping Modem error 5.4.18..PNG
    I hope attached error window, will open.

16. 2018/04/13
    jholland1964

This still refers back to your original message and still says to me, at least, that your computer is trying to connect to the router and of course since you aren't using router part of the HUB 3 modem/router combo.

Try this;
    Open Settings, and click/tap on the Network & Internet icon.
    Turn OFF the Wi-Fi by clicking on the Wi-Fi Icon at the top. It will be Blue with the button to the Right if it is turned on and will be Black with button to the Left when turned off.

17. 2018/04/13
    BobbyScot

Wi-Fi is turned ON but now turned Off* -- black button to the left.. Network 2 Connected. Properties. Intel Corporation. Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168. 9.51.9.1. 8A-DC-8F-80-A7-20.
    Manage Network - Ethernet cable connected to Modem-Computer. Ethernet Network2 Realtek PCle GBE Family. Trouble shoot - could not identify the problem. Error still persists, trust information is of interest to you. *After change carried out, error persists.

Last edited: 2018/04/13
  18. 2018/04/13
    jholland1964

Have you ever done the factory reset of the modem (Resetting (paper clip into the small hole)??? If not why not. You said you have never had to do that with your old modem. That is immaterial. Resetting the modem very often will correct everything because it resets it back to factory. You asked if the reset was done with the modem off or on and of course you were told it must be on but you never said whether you actually did it or not. It is not a giant production or anything super easy, I've done it a number of times with every modem I have ever had. If you find you have to sign in the default name and password should be on a label on the modem/router. I strongly suggest that you do this.

19. 2018/04/14
    BobbyScot

jl sorry, I thought that I had posted, that a factory reset of the modem had been made, when told correct procedure by yourself (page 2). In fact, a further twice this has been done.

20. 2018/04/14
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Just to clarify, Virgin supplied and installed the new Modem.
    Did they leave the old unit or take it away?
    I ask because I have changed between 4 Telcos over the years and they have never requested the Modem/Router be returned or came and collected them.
    I have in fact 5 Modem/Routers hanging around. One is the move from ADSL1 to ADSL2 with the same provider!

21. 2018/04/15
    BobbyScot

rl, Virgin engineer installed 1. HUB 3.0. 1. TV box. Both older items were taken away by the Engineer. Certainly if the old Modem had been left, I could certainly have reinstalled the older modem, allowing me check if the error window was still showing. Certainly, over the years with Virgin, they have fitted three modems and two TV boxes, this time the boxes taken away. Strange