1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Sky Drive

Discussion in 'Web Applications & Cloud' started by rondom, 2011/09/10.

1. 2011/09/10
    rondom

rondom Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I want to remove sky drive from windows 7. I don't know how it got there but my photo's are there. I can't find it under programs.

2. 2011/09/10
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Sky drive is cloudware, before you proceed do you have a local backup of your photographs?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/09/11
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

The internet = the cloud

Microsoft's Windows Live SkyDrive is an online file hosting service. It allows you to store your files on a Microsoft computer (file server) that is always connected to the internet. Your files are now 'in the cloud' and can be accessed from a web broswer, (like Internet Explorer).

Wikipedia: Windows Live SkyDrive
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Live_SkyDrive

5. 2011/09/11
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

6. 2011/09/11
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

7. 2011/09/11
    rondom

The pictures are in photo galley. Should I do something different? Only the very recent pictures went to sky drive, I think. No Problem if I loose them. Next?

8. 2011/09/11
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Follow TonyT's instructions in post #4

9. 2011/09/12
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Yes, I did read it ... and I quote:

Windows BBS > General Discussions > What exactly is Cloud Computing ?
    http://www.windowsbbs.com/general-discussions/94745-what-exactly-cloud-computing.html
    And hence my "The internet = the cloud ". If that simple statement has a different meaning from what has already been said, I humbly apologize for the confusion.

Last edited: 2011/09/12
  10. 2011/09/12
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

My full quote was:

Arie,
  11. 2011/09/12
    rondom

Tony, I haven't actually uninstalled yet but went through the steps just to where I have to select uninstall, PHOTO GALLERY AND MOVIE MAKER. After I uninstall, I assume I have no way to handle pictures until I install some program to replace Photo Gallery, correct? So if I insert the SD card, I cannot do anything with the pictures? If that's the case, can you suggest a program I can get for that? I have used Picasa in the past but found it too busy after changes they made. I'd like a fairly easy program to do simple editing, like lighten etc and to email pictures.

12. 2011/09/12
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Wrong ;)

Windows comes with photo managing software and others (eg) GIMP are said by some to be superior.

Be clear sky drive is not software to manipulate your pictures, it's an extra storage medium which is only connected to your system via the internet.

My advice is not to use such a service but others will disagree, it's your decision whether you want to place family/private photos on the cloud or keep them local.

13. 2011/09/12
    rondom

Yes, but by removing Photo Gallery, I cannot use it without the sky drive feature, correct? If I could use photo gallery without sky drive, that would be preferable. I thought windows 7 photo managing software was Photo Galley> Call me confused.

14. 2011/09/14
    Arie

No, you can use Photo Gallery without using Sky Drive.

Yes & No. It is not included by default (but if you have an OEM computer it may have been installed by your system builder), but is a seperate download/install from Windows Live Essentials.

15. 2011/09/14
    rondom

Arie, I think that's why I was confused. When I tred to email a picture or pictures it was in a group of pictures like I had wanted to create a small collage, which I didn't. that's what started this thing with sky drive. How do I avoid sky drive and not uninstall anything? Yes, I bought my computer with photo gallery on it but as far as I know sky drive was not on it. Might it have been added in a update download?

16. 2011/09/14
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Again...Sky Drive is a part of Windows Essentials, as is Photo Gallery & Movies Maker among others.

To get rid of Sky Drive, go to add-remove program and select Windows Essentials & uncheck Sky Drive. It will NOT remove Photo Gallery.

Photo Gallery is akin to Media Center in Windows XP Media Center edition. The default picture viewer is still Windows Photo Viewer.

Your email program can embed an image into the message body or it can send the image as an attachment.

To bypass Sky Drive, go to Orb > All Programs > Default Programs and select something other than Sky Drive.

17. 2011/09/14
    Arie

Wait a minute Tony...

Eh... I don't think so: http://explore.live.com/windows-live-essentials

What is Windows Live SkyDrive?

You don't need Windows Live Photo Gallery (WLPG) to use SkyDrive, but you can use it to share photos (as you can Facebook) right from within WLPG.

There won't be anything to uninstall regarding SkyDrive, it's a cloud service.

18. 2011/09/14
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

No need for an apology.

I posted what I posted in an effort to clarify your statement, that's all. Else some readers may walk around with the idea that the Internet is the same thing as Cloud. Just as the majority of computer users think that the Internet and the WWW are the same thing. We know different, but most do not.

19. 2011/09/14
    Arie

You avoid it by not using it! Don't upload files to SkyDrive. That's all there is to it.

No. It's not software, it is a cloud service, a Website you connect to.

20. 2011/09/15
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Ok, I stand corrected. After some reading, I see that Sky Drive INTEGRATES with certain Microsoft products, e.g. Bing, Photo Gallery, Office applications, Windows Live Mail, etc.

rondom:

If you want to add a picture to an email message just attach the image or insert the image into the message.