1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Shield your PC against cyberattacks with FREE* Antivirus and Firewall Software

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by Arie, 2003/11/21.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/02/15
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

The red x on the AV icon usually means you don't have real-time protection enabled. Right click the icon, select 'eTrust EZ antivirus'. On options select real-time and make sure enable boxes are checked. If it's still x'd out after OKing out, right click icon and choose 'snooze real-time' and if wake is an option, select it. If it's not an option, snooze it for 1 minute then open snooze again and select wake.

Every KB article I found on the expired message says basically the same thing; update the license. Follow the steps to update (select licensing and registration from the EZ Armor start menu entry) even if it shows the right license key. Then reboot.

2. 2004/02/16
    Queuedecoton

Queuedecoton Well-Known Member

Shielding

Apparently eTrust is having a problem with the EZ Armor Security Suite. Their responses to my questions say that they hope to have the matter resolved within a few days. Meanwhile, if anyone else is thinking of installing this software, I would advise waiting a week or so. Other than this difficulty, it seems to be a very effective protector.

I have been given a temporary license number, and everything looks okay for the moment, but I don't know how long it's good for. We shall see . . .

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/03/02
    theoldfarter

theoldfarter Inactive

I installed this product four days ago, after reading about it in the newsletter this forum sends out. This morning, I was downloading with Kazzalite & came to check the progress when I saw the 'expire message'.
    I was very annoyed, to say the least! .. I mean .. Kazza & no protection!!

I have followed the advice posted here to get it going again, but no luck.

To be honest, I have not got the inclination to go through all the 'hassle' of time spent in contacting the makers & being put through what Queuedecoton is/did go through.

I know it is free, but if it performed flawlessly for the 'free' year, then I would have seriously considered purchasing a subscribtion.

I used to use their InnoculateIt, way back.

Quoting Queuedecoton:
    "Apparently eTrust is having a problem with the EZ Armor Security Suite. Their responses to my questions say that they hope to have the matter resolved within a few days."

That was 14 odd days ago, one would think that, knowin there is a problem,, they would not continue to let potential customers download a flawed product.

Anyone else having this trouble & what has been done about it?

NIS 2003 goes back on ... couple of hours getting the updates again ... sigh!

5. 2004/03/02
    maggie

maggie Inactive

6. 2004/03/02
    theoldfarter

theoldfarter Inactive

Thanks for your reply. I have emailed the support people outlining the problem & lets see what i get in reply.

One thing it may be is, the main site was down so I downloaded from the Australian mirror.
    If they were having problems with the product, as Queuedecoton
    was, maybe I got the 'buggy' one from the mirror ... who knows.

Maggie, how long did you use the product for & did you ever have 'expire' messages?

7. 2004/03/02
    maggie

maggie Inactive

I installed it in November have 261 days left. I saw they had free downloads with 30 day tryout, but that above link was through Microsoft and it was for a year.
    HEHE I tried to download it for the other computer and a message came up telling me I was only entitled to one per customer.

8. 2004/03/02
    theoldfarter

theoldfarter Inactive

Hi online fellow.

Wow ... talk about fast, I have recieved a reply from the support & they tell me the download I have is corrupt & have given links to download a fresh install.

I do that now and install it later today.

Cheers Maggie

9. 2004/03/04
    Queuedecoton

Shielding

Well, old farter, I wish you luck. That's what I did, and I just got into deeper and deeper trouble.

10. 2004/03/04
    theoldfarter

theoldfarter Inactive

Thanks for the luck wishes ...:)

I have downloaded it again & it's on the PC. I will see what happens. If it plays up again, then back to my NIS2003.

11. 2004/03/05
    montzman

montzman Inactive

EZ Antivirus

I've used CA EZ ARmor for 2 years now. The anti-virus program is terrific. It doesn't use scripting like norton and mcafee, so it doesn't get shut down like they once did. The new firewall is almost the same as Zone Alarm, but not the pro version. I'm not renewing, because they don't allow a swap from EZ armor to just the EZ anti-virus (You have to purchase EZ anti-virus initially and then after a year you can pay the renewal fee. Besides I already have Zone Alarm Pro, so why pay for the same thing again. But I got to say for 12 months free --- hey you can't beat that for a very good anti virus program.

12. 2004/03/06
    maggie

maggie Inactive

I've used eTrust since it came out. InoculateLE when it was a freebie. I also use Script Sentry. They work well together. I put EZArmor on my laptop. ZApro takes a little getting used to but I'm finally getting it. I use ZA free on the desktop and it works well. I still put Script Sentry on the laptop also.
    Lately there have been two updates a day usually it is one a day.

13. 2004/03/21
    writerguy

writerguy Inactive

OK, I downloaded and installed EZ Armour a week or two ago, after seeing the link to it in this thread.

It seemed great. I have a home network with a router, so I didn't install the firewall, but the AV portion seemed fine.

After a few days, I did a full scan of my hard drive. EZ armour's AV discovered 4 viruses in my Java files. But it gave me absolutely no way to isolate or delete the infected files?

Any ideas about why it won't delete the files if nothing else? I tried all the settings I could think of, and couldn't get the AV to let me do ANYTHING except show in the log that the files were infected.

It seems that the infections are within some sort of Zip or CAB files within my Java folder?? I truly hate to simply delete the entire archives, for fear it might affect the way my computer works.

So, I uninstalled EZ Armour until such time as I can figure out what to do, and went to avast! Home Edition. And, frankly, I'm not too convinced that avast! Home Edition is working well. It caught a couple of viruses trying to come in through email today, but it never did alert me to the viruses within Java that EZ had found.

Any suggestions about why EZ AV won't let me do anything at all with the infected files it found?

Thanks,

Gary Speer

14. 2004/03/21
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Open eTrust, click options>program>cleaning options tab. Infected files; clean.......Uncleanable files; delete......and scan that folder again. You could also scan those files with an online scanner or two.
    RAV

Housecall

Can you identify the Java files? I have some downloaded icon and cursor files that reside within the Java folder that some online scanners report as suspicious, possible viruses.

I would also install the firewall. Your router, even if it has SPI, will still allow access by programs you might not want to give access, since it monitors packets sent out and lets packets back in based on that. The software firewall will prompt you for any and all programs that try to access the net, and you can allow or deny.

15. 2004/03/22
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

writerguy,

Just re-read your post and noticed that the reported infected files are .zip and .cab Those contain the original files used to setup/install a program of some kind and can be deleted without any effect on your system or the way anything works. The only reason for keeping them would be if the extracted files, where-ever they may be on your drive, should need replaced. If there truly is a virus within them, it would have been extracted with the rest of the files when installed, if installed, and would reside elsewhere on the drive, and would/should be detected there.

Hope this helps!

16. 2004/03/22
    writerguy

writerguy Inactive

Thanks for your help, Dave,

I reinstalled EZ Armour, set the options in EZ Antivirus as you suggested. When I scanned the Java directory, it once again alerted me to the same infected files as I mentioned above. They were within a .Zip file.

But except for the log messaged naming the files as infected, it gave me no option to delete. And it didn't clean or delete the files for me. The specific files and messages were these:

ar3.jar-34e2b6fd-1af059cf.zip>Gummy.class (Java.ByteVerify.exploit trojan)

ar3.jar-34e2b6fd-1af059cf.zip>Counter.class (Java.ByteVerify.exploit trojan)

ar3.jar-34e2b6fd-1af059cf.zip>VerifierBug.class (Java.ByteVerify.exploit trojan)

ar3.jar-34e2b6fd-1af059cf.zip>Beyond.class (Java.Shinwow.N trojan)

Note: I left the complete path names for the files off in the above list.

EZ Antivirus gave me no information about why it didn't or couldn't delete the files. I finally went into Windows Explorer and manually deleted the zip file.

Have I got something set up wrong so that EZ Antivirus won't attempt to clean then delete files? I set the options as you suggested in your post above.

Is there something I'm not understanding here, perhaps?

ALSO: When I use avast! Home Edition it lets me set up to scan email, but apparently this EZ Armour version of EZ Antivirus won't set up to scan incoming or outgoing email?

Thanks for your help, everybody!

Gary Speer

17. 2004/03/22
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Glad to hear you reinstalled eTrust. It really is a good AV program.

I wish I had a good explanation for you as to why it would not clean those files. But I will speculate. Possibly, on the advanced cleaning options, was it set to delete trojans? I overlooked those settings in my previous post. I could understand it not deleting them, if it did not see them as uncleanable. Perhaps if the setting for infected files was set to delete, it would have. I will try to get a more definitive answer for you.

Email attachments......If Real-time Protection is enabled, all incoming attachments will be scanned upon trying to open, and based on your settings for real-time, will respond to infected files accordingly.
    Outgoing attachments can be scanned before attaching, some email providers use their own attachment scanners and some email programs can be configured to scan outgoing. Those settings are within the email options and must be set to use a particular AV to scan.

18. 2004/03/22
    maggie

maggie Inactive

Supposedly they are beta testing 6.2 and I heard it has the incoming email detection. This is just rumor but there was something about the contents of the Jar files that was setting off false warnings awhile back. I don't have anything in mine because I never used it.
    I put Sun Java on one of the computers grudgingly. I don't need it. I have the original SP1 but I realize it might be needed in the future.

Last edited: 2004/03/22
  19. 2004/03/22
    writerguy

writerguy Inactive

As a matter of fact, I just downloaded that beta of 6.2. It doesn't seem much different, to me, from a user standpoint than 6.1.

What I like best about EZ antivirus is the incredible SPEED with which it scans files. Wow.

As for the email scanning -- the 6.2 SAYS it has resident email protection working, but nothing shows up anywhere that I can find to verify it's scanning any email. I would suggest to the EZ folks that they should make the feature show up to us end-users, if nothing else just to satisfy us that it really is doing the scanning, i.e., as avast! and AVG both do. That is, they give you the option of putting a certification message in each email telling you it's been scanned.

Gary Speer

20. 2004/03/22
    maggie

maggie Inactive

I had Norton 2002 on the laptop for a year. I could have uninstalled and installed it on XP forever but I like eTrust better. It doesn't hog the resources. I guess I've gotten so used to not opening email randomly that Norton irked me.
    Also I have Outlook 2002 locked down in Security and run Script Sentry and having EZ firewall, it stops a bunch of stuff also. So if they don't put the incoming email scanner on there I will still be a happy camper.

21. 2004/03/23
    Queuedecoton

Shield your computer

All seems well finally. I suspect what happened was when after my first complaint to CA re EZ Armor I was told about the corrupted download problem & given a new License Key, the key proved to be good for only a 30-day trial, and that's why I kept having these threatening countdown messages.

Eventually Tech Support steered me back to the original key and everything appears to be in order.

But my Lord! the number of different recommendations I got from Tech Support! And the number of time they clearly hadn't read my information properly! And the number of times I was referred to the same (wrong) Knowledge Document! What a horrible hassle!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.