1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Shield your PC against cyberattacks with FREE* Antivirus and Firewall Software

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by Arie, 2003/11/21.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/11/21
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff Thread Starter

eTrust EZ Armor Security Suite from Computer Associates, combines award-winning Antivirus with industrial-strength Firewall protection. Built specifically for today's Internet-intensive computer user, eTrust EZ Armor leverages the core technology CA has developed for the world's most demanding users including over 99% of the Fortune 500.

Easy to install and a snap to use, eTrust EZ Armor provides automatic virus updates, advanced email attachment protection, EZ to use firewall settings, activity control to stop website monitoring, ad blocking and cookie control features for a more enjoyable Internet experience.

*Exclusive offer for Microsoft customers. Free 12-month software subscription to CA's eTrust EZ Armor Antivirus and Firewall security suite valid for new users only. Limit 1 per household. Not to be combined with any other offer. Customers may renew subscription after first year at current renewal rate. Free software offer expires 6/30/04.

Download Now

Arie,
  2. 2003/11/22
    miniB

miniB Inactive

I hope it's OK to relpy to this post but I was very interested as I thought this would be good for anyone who is not already using a Firewall and or AV or was looking for a new free version.

I told someone about it and they warned me about the site's pirvacy policy :confused: I assured them that the information came from a very well respected forum and from Arie himself.
    I would be grateful if this matter could be cleared up as it is more important that people know about the offer than risk their secruity because of a rumour about the privacy plus the fact they doubted the Microsoft references on the site. Thank you in advance.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/11/22
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

5. 2003/11/22
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

I saw this in the Windows-Help Net newsletter, and checked it out...but what is the catch? I couldn't seem to find one?? The product is SO good I will buy it next year? I should dump Norton for it? What is the catch, Arie? Did MS make the EZ Armor program? Would love more info, just naturally suspicious because it sounds too good to be true...

Johanna

6. 2003/11/22
    miniB

miniB Inactive

Many Thanks Arie - you have given me the backup info I need. I was so annoyed about the fact that anyone tried to dispute the info you had given that is why I decided to ask on the forum.

I fully trust BBS and your newsletter thus my reason for being very upset that I was putting anyone at risk by telling them about this offer.
    Thank you so much again as I feel it is very important that PC users have a good AV & Firewall and this offer looked really good to me until I was wrongly advised against it. I will sleep a lot better tonight ;)

7. 2003/11/22
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

The catch? Not one really. You are already told that you will need to pay the year after. Right now their subscription is $10 a year if I heard correctly.

The product is from Computer Associates. They are a BIG playing in the corporate world. They use this offer to improve their market share in the consumer market.

8. 2003/11/22
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

10 bucks a year? I looked to find out how much it would be, and price was never mentioned. Does this program have ads in it? Does it report back to home on the user's computer activity? Do YOU use it on your computer?

I have to say, if all the promotional info is correct, this is quite a program, and a great price. I have become cynical and jaded, and I didn't mean to sound like a smart alec- thank you for the explanation, and for reminding us that we have alternatives for computer security.

Johanna

9. 2003/11/22
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

A year subscription costs $24.95. The $10 a year thing is for those that used Innoulate It and upgraded to ETrust when Innoculate it was no longer available. Even at the higher price it's not really as bad as it sounds when you figure the cost involved with a program like Norton. You have to pay for yearly subscriptions and then it seems every 2-3 years you have to buy the program again because of changes in windows or the antivirus program itself. Plus, ETrust is easy on the system. Don't even know it's running. I've use it since Innoulate It was discontinued and have never had any problems with it. Works great. Kinda sounds like a commercial; doesn't it? :D

10. 2003/11/22
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

That did it, Zander. I'm dumping Norton and giving it a shot. $24.95 is not unreasonable (actually a bargain compared to Norton), but price isn't as much of an issue with me as quality and credibility are. I'll let you guys know how it goes. (Like I ever shut up anyway!)

Johanna

Uh, Zander, do you work in the computer business? Computer Associates, perhaps? ;) :D

11. 2003/11/22
    Zander

Oops! Maybe I mispoke here. I see what they're offering for free is eTrust EZ Armor Security Suite which includes the firewall as Arie said I just checked
    their website and it says it's $49.95 a year. That seems to be a bit steep. You could however try it and if you like it just purchace the AV after a year and go back to using ZA or some other free firewall. From what I understand the firewall part of it is just a rebranded version of Zone Alarm Pro.

Last edited: 2003/11/22
  12. 2003/11/22
    DugE

DugE Well-Known Member

Well I downloaded it and installed it today. You get the anit-virus and the firewall.

Zander is right. The only difference in the firewall and Zone Alarm Pro is the color. This one is blue instead of orange.

It has real time virus coverage, boot and files. The face is similiar to Windows Explorer so you can easily choose which files to scan or the entire computer. Download updates is simple. You can have the av to automatically check updates or do it manually. Doing it manually is simple enough. I connected and downloaded the updates in a matter of minutes. It was an easy connection and downloading was about 4.6kb's/sec. which is very good for this computer running a 56k modem.

It has a good feel to it. It don't restrict anything that I can tell. My pages seem to open slightly faster than before. It also takes care of pop ups and web bugs and such. I haven't had a pop up since I installed it.

But this is day one. I'm gonna keep it and I feel sure its going to be a keeper. But to be a freeby for a year, no complaints here. If it does what it is intended for I see no reason to look for another. Not for my personal use anyway.

But you will need to uninstall any version of a virus scanner and also Zone Alarm if you have it before this one will install.

13. 2003/11/22
    Zander

Nope. I don't work for CA. Just a happy customer. On the web you always seem to hear just the bad things about a product. Just thought I'd change that and give this product credit where I thought credit was due. :)

14. 2003/11/22
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

The price is certainly right. From what I've been reading, the firewall is ZA Pro pre 4x version (w/o rulemaking).

Zander, can you confirm this?

Regards - Charles

15. 2003/11/22
    Zander

charlesvar
    Can't really help you on the version thing. I only have the AV and haven't seen anything regarding this. I probably won't get it as I've got until next May on my current sub and have a firewall in place. Besides, with what I'm using now, it's only costing me 10 bucks a year and don't know if that would carry over so..... Perhaps dopey can help you out.

Last edited: 2003/11/22
  16. 2003/11/22
    DugE

DugE Well-Known Member

The firewall and true vector security versions are 3.7.179. The driver version is 3.7.211.

17. 2003/11/23
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

John,

Thankyou for the confirmation on the ZA versions.

Regards - Charles

18. 2003/11/23
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

I too will give praise for CA's antivirus program. I installed it just before my 'first year free' Norton, that came installed on my system, expired. I updated Norton and scanned......nothing found. Downloaded EZ, installed, updated and ran..........3 viruses found!.......2 trojans and 1 worm. That was good enough for me.........out came all Norton, never to be installed again. EZ never let another virus in, and if I wasn't so cheap, I would have paid to keep it instead of going for the free AVG, even though it's doing a good job also.

19. 2004/02/05
    Queuedecoton

Queuedecoton Well-Known Member

Shield your PC

So, XP Home has a modest firewall, and MSN does screen email. In that case do I need any other protection? I have Norton, but can't really make out if it covers MSN or any other Web-based email. I tried AVG, but found out that it definitely does not. I have emailed Symantec, but if anyone here has any answer (or suggestion), please let me hear it!

I would happily take Arie's word for the quality of any program he recommends, but I do want to know whether I actually need something. I don't see any point to installing eTrust (or any other) software if I don't really need it.

I have always been a big fan of making sure my computer is protected, but now I begin to feel it may be more protected than I thought, and wonder about the wisdom of adding programs that may not be, after all, useful in my case. Th price, whether zilch, $10 or $49.95 isn't a big issue, if I get something worthwhile...

BTW - I use my computer strictly for personal purposes, and I'm not part of any network.

I thank Offline for sending me to this thread.

20. 2004/02/05
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

YES
    You need a good internet security program- one with a two way firewall and AV to screen incoming and outgoing mail. Ideally, it should automatically update itself, and also give you the option of screening individual files and IM programs. I have heard nothing but good about the one Arie suggested, and I use NIS 2003 without any complaints. Others here prefer Kerio, Zone Alarm, Panda- there are lots of choices. Read up on the options to decide which one suits you best. But you

need one, without a doubt.

Johanna

21. 2004/02/05
    Queuedecoton

Queuedecoton Well-Known Member

Shielding

Well, MSN seems to do a good job of screening email. The problem is that MSN email isn't covered by AVG, etc. I don't know about Kerio, but ZoneAlarm was far to complicated for me.

So would eTrust cover MSN email?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.