1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Running extremely slow & audio/video out of sync

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Nuts4Mutts, 2014/02/06.

1. 2014/02/12
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

In Autoruns remove the following items:

rdpclip
    HWSetup
    IgfxTray
    Ltmoh
    All of the Trend Micro entries
    Persistence
    Toshiba Pinger
    SVPWUTIL
    NexDef Plug-in
    Windows Mail
    Windows Media Player Network Configuration
    Windows Defender

Once done go ahead and post a new screenshot of the Autoruns Logon tab in your next reply so I can see the changes that you made.

2. 2014/03/04
    Nuts4Mutts

Nuts4Mutts Inactive Thread Starter

Hi Evan!

Since I couldn't find most of the entries you have listed I'll send the Autoruns results so you can look over what's there & then tell me what else I should uncheck. I unchecked the highlighted ones, like you told me & I'm keeping the AV & Firewall like we discussed.

I put all the Autoruns screenshots in a folder on my desktop, as I thought I could just upload the whole folder; however, it wouldn't let me do it that way.
    I uploaded the first 5, (the limit), the next 6 will be next.

Thanks!

Nuts4Mutts :)

Attached Files:

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/03/04
    Nuts4Mutts

Part 2

Here's part 2

#6 only has 1 entry

I hope I did this right! :eek:

Attached Files:

5. 2014/03/04
    Nuts4Mutts

Hi Evan,

I was only able to find 3 entries from the list above, so if you don't mind looking over the results first, I'll appreciate it.

Thanks Evan!

6. 2014/03/04
    Nuts4Mutts

Part 3

Here's the last entry...Finally!

It only has 1 line.

Thanks much!

Attached Files:

7. 2014/03/04
    Evan Omo

Your autoruns entries look good. At the very bottom you can uncheck the yellow highlighted entry called WBsrv since it is missing. How is the computer running now?

8. 2014/03/04
    Nuts4Mutts

Hi,

It's still painfully slow. Awhile back you said something about Windows Media Center & Windows Media Player & not needing to have both of them running...I think. I know there are LOTS of things I never even heard of, much less used here. What else can I try to lessen the strain on my system?

Thanks!

9. 2014/03/04
    Evan Omo

Ok lets run a couple more tools.

Download the Adware Remover Tool and save it to your desktop. Run it by right clicking on it and selecting Run as administrator. When it opens hit the Scan and Repair button. Allow it to complete. Hit ok when done and make sure all the items are ticked if there are any. Hit the repair all button. Follow the prompt to reboot the machine by clicking ok.

Once that is done, please download Security Check and save it to your desktop.

Double click on SecurityCheck.exe to run the program. Follow the onscreen instructions. Post the results of the checkup text file in your next reply.

Also please run this tool and post the log of the system specs so I can see what hardware the machine is running.

10. 2014/03/04
    Nuts4Mutts

Hi Evan!

I ran Adware Remover tool. When I rebooted my screen resolution was changed; my wallpaper was gigantic & I had to change the DPI settings; it modified ALL my browser settings; changed my home page; it keeps resizing my browser window & opens Firefox to full-size even when I've minimized it to my taskbar!!! Being curious, I opened IE, (that I rarely use), & it was reset, too! SEE ATTACHMENT FOR MESSAGE BOX 'ERROR MESSAGE'. There are lots of odd changes to visual things, like when I drag & drop/move a window or message box on my desktop, everything quivers & the whole desktop gets covered in white. It's similar to the black screen that covers everything when the UAC comes on. I find new oddities every time I do something...it's spooky! If this isn't due to Adware Remover could it be due to the things I unchecked in Autoruns?

Are all these things normal???? If I need to adjust something to get things back to the way they were PLEASE let me know!

Here are the results from the other 2 programs in your last post:

Security Check results:
    Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.79
    Windows Vista Service Pack 2 x86 (UAC is enabled)
    Internet Explorer 9
    Internet Explorer 8
    ``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
    Windows Firewall Enabled!
    Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security
    Antivirus up to date!
    `````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.75.0.1300
    CCleaner
    Java 7 Update 45
    Java version out of Date!
    Adobe Flash Player 12.0.0.70
    Adobe Reader 10.1.9 Adobe Reader out of Date!
    Mozilla Firefox (27.0.1)
    ````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
    Trend Micro AMSP coreServiceShell.exe
    Trend Micro UniClient UiFrmWrk uiWatchDog.exe
    Trend Micro AMSP coreFrameworkHost.exe
    Trend Micro RUBotted RUBotSrv.exe
    Trend Micro RUBotted RUBottedGUI.exe
    Trend Micro Titanium plugin TMAS\TMAS_OE\TMAS_OEMon.exe
    Trend Micro Titanium plugin TMAS\TMAS_WLM\TMAS_WLMMon.exe
    Trend Micro UniClient UiFrmWrk uiSeAgnt.exe
    Trend Micro SafeSync HrfsClient.exe
    Trend Micro SafeSync hrfscore.exe
    `````````````````System Health check`````````````````
    Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 1 %
    ````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````
    -----------------------------------------------------------

PCHF results:
    Default Monitor

Hope I did everything right!

Thanks much,

Last edited: 2014/03/04
  11. 2014/03/05
    Evan Omo

It has nothing to do with Autoruns. Adware Removal Tool simply checked your Internet browsers for any malicious add-ons and removed any other junk items on your machine.

Since your machine is still a bit slow lets install the latest video driver and see if that helps. Download and install this video driver from here, Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Windows Vista * 32 (exe).

Then install the latest version of Adobe Reader from here, Adobe Reader 11.0.06.

Do you use any websites that require the Java plugin? If not then click Start< Control Panel< Uninstall a program and remove all Java entries from your computer.

Reboot the machine when done.

12. 2014/03/05
    Nuts4Mutts

Hi Evan!

I tried to update Intel driver, but I get an error box:

"An unknown error has occurred.
    Setup will exit "
    Should I uninstall the old driver first, then try again?

I uninstalled the old Java & I'm installing the new version.

I'm also updating Adobe Reader. I usually use the reader that comes with Firefox, but it won't hurt to update Adobe.

Thanks much!

13. 2014/03/05
    Evan Omo

Try performing a clean boot in Windows Vista and see if the Intel driver installs, How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

Its possible that Trend Micro could be interfering with the installation.

14. 2014/03/06
    Nuts4Mutts

Hi Evan!

Everything's updated, including the Intel Driver! I checked "Device Manager" before I did anything else & all I had to do was reboot to get the driver to take effect. Trend Micro wasn't involved at all...the driver install just didn't tell me to reboot to complete the update.

My browser, etc. is still acting goofy, but I'm still ready to try other things to get my PC to speed-up. Do you have any other ideas for me?

Thanks much!

15. 2014/03/06
    Evan Omo

Well your laptop does not have the best specs. Please run the Crucial Memory Scanner and post the result in your next reply.

16. 2014/03/07
    Nuts4Mutts

Hi Evan!

Just as we thought...I need more RAM! Here's the scan results...I didn't know exactly what you wanted, so here's most of what was on the results page:

Crucial System Scanner results for your Toshiba Satellite A135-S4527 Laptop/Notebook.

device type: notebook
    Your Satellite A135-S4527 System Specs

Scan Id: 83F95D1831D926C3
    Memory:
    DDR2 PC2-5300

Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 (non-ECC)
    Maximum Memory: 2GB
    Currently Installed Memory: 2GB
    Total Memory Slots: 2
    Available Memory Slots: 0
    1GB
    DDR PC2-5200
    1GB

video - installing memory

Storage:
    SATA 1 - 1.5Gb/s
    57% Full (110 GB Total Storage)

SATA Version -- SATA 1 - 1.5Gb/s

Solid State Drives are non-moving memory, so access speed is instant.
    Guaranteed-compatible upgrades for your Satellite A135-S4527
    Computer Memory
    part image
    2GB kit (1GBx2)
    DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64 • • Part #: CT908756
    Got it? Rate it.
    (76 Ratings)
    $39.99
    Qty:
    part image
    1GB kit (512MBx2)
    DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 64Meg x 64 • • Part #: CT944433
    Got it? Rate it.
    (0 Ratings)
    $29.99
    Qty:
    part image
    1GB
    DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64 • • Part #: CT908527
    Got it? Rate it.
    (32 Ratings)
    $19.99
    Qty:
    part image
    512MB
    DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 64Meg x 64 • • Part #: CT943580
    Got it? Rate it.
    (0 Ratings)
    $14.99
    Qty:
    Solid State Drives
    part image
    Crucial M500 120GB 2.5-inch Internal SSD
    Crucial M500 120GB SATA 6Gbps 2.5" Internal SSD • 500 MBps Read / 130 MBps Write • Part #: CT3772555
    Got it? Rate it.
    (0 Ratings)
    $79.99
    sale tag
    $74.99
    Qty:
    part image
    Crucial M500 240GB 2.5-inch Internal SSD
    Crucial M500 240GB SATA 6Gbps 2.5" Internal SSD • 500 MBps Read / 250 MBps Write • Part #: CT3773312
    Got it? Rate it.
    (0 Ratings)
    $129.99
    Qty:
    part image
    Crucial M500 480GB 2.5-inch Internal SSD
    Crucial M500 480GB SATA 6Gbps 2.5" Internal SSD • 500 MBps Read / 400 MBps Write • Part #: CT3840891
    Got it? Rate it.
    (0 Ratings)
    $259.99
    sale tag
    $249.99
    Qty:
    part image
    Crucial M500 960GB 2.5-inch Internal SSD
    Crucial M500 960GB SATA 6Gbps 2.5" Internal SSD • 500 MBps Read / 400 MBps Write • Part #: CT3842635
    Got it? Rate it.
    (0 Ratings)
    $518.99
    sale tag
    $457.99
    Qty:
    Internal Hard Drives
    Recommended Hard Drive Upgrade
    part image
    WD Blue HDD 1 TB SATA-600
    2.5" x 1/8H • Serial ATA-600 • 5400 rpm • 600 MBps • Part #: WD10JPVX
    Got it? Rate it.
    (1 Ratings)
    $86.99
    Qty:

Thanks much!

17. 2014/03/07
    Evan Omo

It looks like your laptop is maxed out on RAM so you can't upgrade it unfortunately.

Your laptops CPU is also on the low side so there isn't anything else that I can do software wise to help speed up your machine. Your laptop just is not running the best hardware and you may consider getting a newer, faster laptop down the road.

I know that probably isn't what you wanted to hear. As a last resort you can read this and post a new thread in the Malware and Virus Removal Forum. This way, broni can do a double check of your system to make sure you have no malware infections present on your system causing it to slow down.

That's what I would do in your situation.

Last edited: 2014/03/07
  18. 2014/03/07
    Nuts4Mutts

Hi Evan,

Unfortunately, I guessed it was time to phase this laptop out. I was trying to get it in optimal shape so I could use it for storing photos, games & other non-essential stuff. I just hate to let it go, as I detest Windows 8! I've been putting-off using my new laptop, as there are a few issues I don't like in the Windows 8 License Agreement. I posted my concerns in another part of this forum, but instead of getting answers I got a headache, as some posters wanted to debate my concerns rather than tell me how to get around the issues that bothered me. I've just been putting-off the inevitable.

I sincerely thank you for EVERYTHING you've done to help me, though! I truly appreciate your vast knowledge; the time you gave to help me; but most of all, I am grateful for your endless patience!!! You're AWESOME!!! Thank you for your great kindness.

Gratefully,

19. 2014/03/07
    Evan Omo

You are very welcome. Are you considering creating a new thread in the Malware and Virus Removal Forum or are you going to move on and not worry about your system?

20. 2014/03/07
    Nuts4Mutts

Hi!

I ran MalwareBytes just a few days ago, (I do it about 2X/month as maintenance), so I don't think there's anything malware-related going on...unless you think it's a possibility, that is.

If you think I should re-check it I will. Let me know.

As far as the License Agreement questions...is that something you'd be willing to tackle?
    The thread is in the "Security & Privacy" forum. I started it about the same time as this one. If you want to read my initial post, (and avoid all the posts that got a bit off-topic), you'll get an idea what adjustments I want to make before/after I accept the License Agreement. Your input would be gratefully appreciated!

Thanks Much!

21. 2014/03/07
    Evan Omo

I would still do a double check for malware just to be on the safe side but the choice is up to you. If you have had enough with dealing with this system then I understand and you can move on and use your Windows 8 system instead.

I did take a glance at that thread and it is quite lengthy. Perhaps you should close that thread and create a new thread concerning making Windows 8 function and behave just like Windows 7. IMO most of the so called privacy issues with Windows 8 come with using the Microsoft Account and using the Metro apps. If you don't do any of that then your system would behave like Windows 7 and you wouldn't need to be concerned with companies spying on your browsing habits and tracking what applications you use.

I have a guide that I can provide on how to transform Windows 8 into Windows 7 but I'd rather not get involved in the License Agreement thread since its too much of a mess.