1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Pictures [completely or partially greyed out in storage folder]

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Fredb38, 2010/09/29.

1. 2010/09/29
    Fredb38

Fredb38 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I take pictures with my digital camera, create a folder on my computer and drop the pictures into the folder. All works well for a day or two then some of the pictures will gray out. It could be the whole picture or just part of the picture but once the gray starts it no good after that. I have no idea what is causing this or what to fix.
    Not sure how to show you a picture but if their is a way let me know.

2. 2010/10/01
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Wow, have heard of & seen printed pictures turning grey, but this is a first one for me.

Just replying so that this thread is bumped up.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/10/01
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

When you say 'grey out' do you mean that the image area is literally grey or that the image appears veiled and indistinct?
    Post a screenshot on a photo hosting site and post the URL here, or ....

Become a Contributing Member which allows you to make attachments to posts.

5. 2010/10/10
    Fredb38

6. 2010/10/10
    braindead

braindead Inactive

those are corrupt pictures, i recommend you back up your hard disk, and check it for errors

only time i had any of those was when my external drive died and that was on XP home.

7. 2010/10/10
    Fredb38

All of this has been tried. Keep in mind all I have tried is with the same computer. I had Vista installed first and this happened. I then installed Windows 7 and still had this problem.
    I have reformated the HD and installed Windows 7 and still have this problem. I have pictures installed on my internal drive and also on my external drive both give me the same problem. Like I said before that I am not the only person with this problem.
    Don't know what is causing it but the only thing I haven't tried is a new computer.

8. 2010/10/10
    braindead

braindead Inactive

i don't know what have caused this, but to the best of my knowledge those files aren't recoverable.

have you noticed any problems with other type of files?

9. 2010/10/10
    Fredb38

You are right. Once they start to turn gray they are gone. You can not get them back.
    Pictures are the only thing on my computer that I am having a problem with.

10. 2010/10/10
    braindead

braindead Inactive

doesn't make any sense to me you say you checked them after transferring them from your camera and they were fine then corrupted over time? if you haven't maybe your memory card is the one with the problem, perhaps replacing it (they don't cost much), also think about backing up your Pictures on a CD or DVD till you find the cause and solution.

11. 2010/10/10
    Fredb38

If I receive an email with pictures the computer will ***** them up also.
    Can't use my computer to back up to a CD as it will mess them up before I can backup.
    Computer, Bios, video card something is causing the problem. The computer is an HP.

12. 2010/10/10
    braindead

braindead Inactive

i really have no idea but id love to know.

could it be some sort of malware?

13. 2010/10/10
    Fredb38

14. 2010/10/11
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

15. 2010/10/11
    Fredb38

Been their and done that. All checked out OK.

16. 2010/10/12
    Arie

What about A/V scanning?

You aren't going to tell me that putting pictures on a hard drive will corrupt over time with nothing accessing them. Something is doing this to your pictures, and it isn't Windows itself.

If it was Windows, everyone would have the same problem, so it must be some 3rd party software.

17. 2010/10/12
    Arie

This kind of corruption is also (often) caused by certain Malware and/or Viruses.

18. 2010/10/12
    Fredb38

I don't believe its Windows either. My thoughts is that it is something to do with the hardware in my computer.
    This problem started on this computer when Vista was the operating system.
    I then formatted the hard drive and installed Windows 7 but the problem was still their.
    The only thing that hasn't been replaced is the hard ware.
    Someone suggested updating the bios but now that I installed Windows 7 HP can no longer help me. If it was Vista then they have an update.

19. 2010/10/12
    braindead

braindead Inactive

is there an HP photo editor?
    or some other picture software that came with your laptop?
    could that program be affecting your pictures folders? are all the corrupte pictures in the my picture folder?

20. 2010/10/12
    Fredb38

No not that I know of. The picture problem shows up in my email, internal hard drive, external hard drive. Just about anywhere on my computer where a picture might be.
    If you were to send me an email with pictures attached some but not all would be grayed out or corrupt.
    I have taken pictures of my grand baby, created a folder and placed the pictures from my camera to the folder. I have seen that folder go a day or so without a problem. Then all of a sudden the next time I go to the folder 5 or 6 pictures will be grayed or corrupt.
    I have also taken pictures, plugged my camera into my computer and before I can download them some of them will be corrupt.
    Also tried to download straight from my camera to a disc but that doesn't work either.

21. 2010/10/12
    braindead

braindead Inactive

well, most of us are certain that its NOT an OS problem, you tested your Hard disk and it passed.
    Arie and myself think it could be malware but you are certain your computer is clean, IMHO only remaining possible cause would be legit software.

BTW BIOS isn't OS related its a motherboard thing, now im not pretending to know better than the HP ppl but i don't think there excuse is right.

Also can you give us your computer model?