1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

PC Freezing, Possible HDD Failure?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ChewableChewy, 2016/08/16.

1. 2016/08/16
    ChewableChewy

ChewableChewy New Member Thread Starter

Hi guys i'll start with what i have done so far so my problem can be narrowed down. I have the Windows 10 OS on an SSD, and have a 2TB HDD for games and pictures etc...

I have reinstalled windows wiping both the SDD and HDD of any previous files in them so its as factory as it can get.

Now for the problem: My PC would freeze anytime i would try and transfer files onto my HDD or run games that are installed onto my HDD. I'm saying this because i only have the OS on my SSD. Now i have tested different RAM and issue still persists so i know it isn't my RAM. Could this be a sign that my HDD is dying? Or should i simply reinstall windows so that the OS is on the HDD instead? any help would be great. Thanks in advance guys, it really means a lot, i don't want to buy a new HDD or SSD if its not even the problem.

2. 2016/08/16
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi ChewableChewy, Welcome to WindowsBBS :). How did you wipe the drives? You re-installed W10 to both drives or just the SSD? Also, please take the time to enter your System Details as it helps us to help you.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/08/16
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi ChewableChewy, Welcome to Windowsbbs! :)

Download and run SeaTools for Windows and run the Long Generic test on the drive and see if it passes.

Also please enter your System Details. It helps us in answering your questions.

5. 2016/08/16
    ChewableChewy

HI guys sorry for the late reply but here are my specs.
    Processor: Intel i5-4690k @ 3.5 GHz
    Memory: 8GB
    Graphics Card: GTX 980
    MOBO: ASUS Z87-PRO
    HDD: 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
    SSD: 120GB Mushkin Chronos

I also wiped the drives with the W10 installer asking where i wanted to install the OS. i deleted any partitions that were in both drives (wiping them both) then installed the OS onto the SSD.
    Also i will try the seatools now evan and keep you posted.

(edit): I ran the seagate tests and both passed, although i ran the short drive self test and the SSD failed at 10% while the HDD passed. What could this mean?

Last edited: 2016/08/16
  6. 2016/08/16
    retiredlearner

I Googled and read some customer reviews. Failures of SSD Chronos had occurred from 3 months to end of warranty. If your "Freeze" is in the SSD and you have a Fail test at 10% - it may be time to contact Mushkin for RMA.

7. 2016/08/16
    ChewableChewy

I was afraid of that haha, but i had a thought it would be that. Thank you for your insight to narrowing it down! i shall be contacting them and seeing if i can get a replacement. You guys have been a great help and thanks again!

8. 2016/08/16
    Evan Omo

You should run the Long Generic test on the hard drive as well to make sure that the hard drive is in good health.

9. 2016/08/16
    ChewableChewy

you mean run it on both?

10. 2016/08/17
    Evan Omo

Yes you should run it on both devices.

11. 2016/08/17
    retiredlearner

Have you downloaded and installed Mushkin Firmware update?