1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Java Plug-in Error when opening Firefox

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by JSS3rd, 2004/11/18.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/01/27
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member Thread Starter

Hi Steve,

That's the official 1.0 release. You can always find the latest (almost daily) trunk version here, on Mozilla.org's website.

After an initial installation with the /installer.exe version, I find it easier to update with the .zip versions. I'd suggest renaming your current Firefox folder first, then just unzipping to the parent folder (a new FF folder is part of the .zip file, which is why you need to rename, or move, the original FF folder). When you're satisfied that the new version is behaving properly, you can delete the renamed folder. I just haven't bothered to update recently, although I used to do it almost daily.

For a daily list of the latest changes, see The Burning Edge.

2. 2005/01/27
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

Steve,

Did you add the Java files to your plugins folder, and if so, do you get the dancing Duke?

About:plugins looks good to me.

Ramona

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/01/27
    Dennis L Lifetime Subscription

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

Previously I had "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.4.2_06 installed, Duke danced.
    Today I went to the test page again and Firefox said I should install a plugin, so then JVM (Java Virtual Machine) version 1.5 / Java(TM) 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 is showing in Plugins. Duke continues to dance.
    What is the difference between JRE and JVM other than the pronunciation? :confused:

5. 2005/01/27
    Ramona

Dennis,

Java Virtual Machine (JVM) is a part of JRE, and is the part of the Java runtime environment (JRE) responsible for interpreting bytecodes. This is how Sun defines the JVM...

Ramona :D

6. 2005/01/27

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

Java Virtual Machine (JVM) is a part of JRE, and is the part of the Java runtime environment (JRE) responsible for interpreting bytecodes.

So JVM is a subset of the JRE routines? I read some of your link pages on your BOBBO reply ... it made my head hurt :p

7. 2005/01/28
    Ramona

Dennis,

It's much too late to absorb knowledge, especially after a hard day at the office! Kick back, relax, and enjoy!

Ramona :D

8. 2005/01/28

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

It's much too late to absorb knowledge ....

Yeh, my kids say the same thing about me. :rolleyes: They remind me daily !!!

9. 2005/01/28
    b6a4

b6a4 Inactive

Ramona,

I didn't understand your first post--thought if the "about: plugins" looked okay, then there was no need to copy. Did the copy as you suggested, and now Duke dances. I don't know why, but it worked.

Thanks, Steve.

JSS3rd, thanks for the link. Not so sure I want to be on the "burning edge ", though!

10. 2005/01/28
    Ramona

Steve,

Glad to hear that your Java is working now.

Happy browsing!

Ramona

11. 2005/02/06
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member Thread Starter

Hi Steve,

Even if you don't use the daily builds, The Burning Edge is a good way to keep up with the ongoing developments in Firefox (even if they DO make your head spin :)).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.