1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Java Plug-in Error when opening Firefox

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by JSS3rd, 2004/11/18.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/11/18
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member Thread Starter

When I first try to open Firefox 1.0 on my desktop computer, I get the error message seen in the thumbnail below. This began after I tried to use PrefBar's user agent to view an IE-specific website in Firefox, and was unable to do so. The next time I tried to open Firefox I got the error message.

Even though Firefox doesn't open, it appears in Task Manager's Processes list, CPU useage goes to 100%, and the computer slows to a crawl. With each additional attempt to open it, an additional entry appears in Task manager, but the error message appears only on the initial attempt. When all Firefox processes are ended in Task Manager CPU usage and the computer speed return to normal.

Ironically, IE works normally.

So far, I have:
    1) Uninstalled Firefox, stripped the Registry of all references to it, and reinstalled it.

2) Uninstalled Java RE 1.4.2.03, cleaned the Registry, and installed Java RE 1.4.2.06.

3) Done a Sytem Restoration to a point before any of this happened.​
    Nothing has helped and, short of reformatting the hard drive, I have run out of ideas. Anyone?

2. 2004/11/18
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

Jim,

Upgrade Java to Version 5.0

Uninstall all Versions of Java first, using Add/Remove
    Reboot the PC
    Install Java Plug-in 5.0

Next:
    In the Java Plug-in Control Panel:
    Start | Settings | Control Panel | Java

Click on the Advanced Button then expand the < Applet > tag support tab
    Enable both Internet Explorer and Netscape/Mozilla

BTW, if you are running Windows XP, you might want to take a look at this guideline to removing the MSJVM:
    http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/howto-21.html

HTH,

Ramona

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/11/19

Ramona ...

Despite your instructions, Java will not install the Mozilla/Netscape applet. Instead, I get the warning seen in the attachment below. If I try to start Firefox the window opens, but I get a "Java Plug-in Error" message, and the browser cannot be used.

I'm completely buffaloed at this point. Any other ideas?

Addendum ...

I've been using the standard installation of Java but found that if I used the custom installation, Mozilla/Netscape was already selected. After the installation was complete, however, I checked the Java Control Panel and found "Mozilla and Netscape" UNchecked. Checking it and clicking either "Apply" or "OK ", yielded the same result as before.

Something else puzzles me. I still have JavaRE 1.4.1.01 installed on my laptop. When I use the update feature on the Java Control Panel, it informs me that 1.4.1.07 is available ... no mention of 1.5 (Java 5.0).​

Last edited: 2004/11/19
  5. 2004/11/19
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

This is confusing, and I know that Ramona knows what she is talking about, but I had never heard of version 5.0, but it exists ok. You are, actually, not quoting her correctly. She did not say 1.5. At this point, I don't know the entire story was my latest version is 1.4.2_5, although I know that there is a -6.
    There is nothing ironic about the fact that IE works, and Firefox gives grief. You should be aware of the fact that many websites are built with Microsoft software, with no consideration of other browsers.
    The checking or unchecking in the control panel does not mean much. It is a choice of the version. What version Prefbar are you using? I found that the User Agent of the Prefbar does not do much, if anything. Which version are you using?There is a vastly better extention, the User Agent Switcher
    The entire thing is very confusing, what are you trying to do, in changing the User Agent? I have FF1.0 and Prefbar v2.3.1, and I have no problem.
    Any particular website?

Ok, I found out that there is a version 5 (1.5) . I installed it, and I am keeping my fingers crossed. It used a stub installer, and such things are are scary. The installation quit twice on me. Do use the offline installer

6. 2004/11/19

Westside ...

Yeah, I know it's confusing, but that's because Sun made it so (and I didn't quote Ramona, at all). The page that Ramona's Version 5.0 link takes you to calls it just that. It's also called that on the initial setup page during installation and, once installed, Add/Remove displays it as J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0.

However, the download file is jre-1_5_0-windows-i586.exe, and the "About" information in the Java Control Panel shows Version 1.5.0 (build 1.5.0-b64).

There is a version 1.4.1.07, as well, but the download manager sees a truncated filename, and I got a 0KB download.

I'm fully aware of the problems with non- "IE standard" websites (which are, themselves, non-standard), as I've been using Netscape 3.x/Communicator 4.x/Netscape 6.x/Mozilla/Phoenix/Firebird/Firefox ever since I got my first PC in the summer of 1997.

I've got PrefBar 2.3.1, and I agree that the User Agent doesn't seem to do much of anything, except that it definitely was linked to my initial problem. The main reason I've kept the PrefBar around is because of its ability to get rid of the nasty backgrounds that make some webpages difficult to read.

I always install offline, if at all possible. I've been down the frequently problematical online installation road too many times! :)

7. 2004/11/19
    Bmoore1129

Bmoore1129 Geek Member

I got the new version called 5.0 but really 1.5.0.

Uninstalled old version 1.4.1.06 and rebooted.

Installed the new version with no problems at all.

Has a new GUI in Control Panel>Java. I used the custom install and then got a screen that had IE and NS/Moz already checked. IE Options>Advanced had the new Sun Java checked.

I think uninstalling old versions first is essential on this and any software for that matter. Much smoother going than over the top "upgrades ".

8. 2004/11/19
    Ramona

Jim,

The error you are receiving looks like an XP permissions thing. You shouldn't be having any problems if you uninstalled all versions of Java before installing 5.0. Let me check around and see if I can find anything on the type of error you are receiving.

You might uninstall 5.0, and try Version 1.4.2_07.

Ramona

9. 2004/11/19

Hi Ramona,

I just realized that what I thought was an error message about the Java Plug-in in the titlebar of the Firefox window (when it opens) is actually the topic I gave this thread when I started it.

What I infer from that is that Firefox is trying to open a window at this thread, but is unable to get all the way here, for whatever reason.

The interesting thing is that a couple of things work on the page, but not most. The Min/Max/Close gadgets in the titlebar work, as does the update button (looks like a white pine tree in a green circle) in the menubar. None of the menus can be accessed, nor do the buttons in the toolbar work, except that I get tooltips when I hover the mousepointer over them, and if I click on the Reload and New Tab buttons I get a momentary busy pointer.

I've already tried uninstalling 1.5 (5.0) and installing 1.46, but the situation remains the same. I couldn't get a successful download of 1.4.7 ... see my last message.

10. 2004/11/19
    Bmoore1129

Bmoore1129 Geek Member

Jim

I think the problem you are having has to do with Javascripts.

Tools>Options/Web Features.

11. 2004/11/19

Hey Bill,

I probably posted my last message while were composing yours, so you didn't see my remark about not being able to access the menus.

I have the feeling that there's something in a file in my profile that's causing this, but I haven't been able to isolate it.

Addendum ...

I was correct in my guess that there was a glitch in my profile, and I don't know why the solution didn't occur to me earlier. I just moved the desktop computer's profile folder to a temporary location and copied the profile folder over from my laptop, as the profile names and directory structures are identical. Firefox opened perfectly on the first try, and I'm using it now. :D :D :D Needless to say, I'll dump the original profile before it does any more damage.

I realize that my solution won't help anyone else caught in the same bind so, on second thought, I'll save the original profile so I can do a comparison between it and the good one. That way, perhaps, I can come up with an answer that will work for others.

Thanks to all of you for your support and your suggestions. That's what makes this BBS work when others don't.​

12. 2004/11/19
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

Jim,
    glad that you got things under control. As for removing the profile files, I would say take your time.

Buckeye at heart,eh! Go Blue!
    I could not help it.

13. 2004/11/20

I didn't go to OSU, but my father did, and I certainly didn't go to UM! To paraphrase an old aphorism, you can take the boy out of Ohio, but you can't take Ohio out of the boy.

Go Bucks! Boo Blue!

14. 2004/11/20
    Ramona

Jim,

Let us know what you find when you compare files with the corrupt Profile, and the existing Profile. I will be interested in your findings.

Ramona

15. 2004/11/20
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

I was in the UM faculty for ten years, so I have some claim to Blue.
    These things can be some inflammatory! One big rivalry is between UM and Michigan State. I was almost attacked in Ann Arbor, when I wore the Eastern Michigan sweatshirt at game day. The colors are the same!
    You take care.

16. 2004/11/20

Ramona ...

I'll be sure to post back, though it may be awhile, what with the holidays coming, and all. I just hope it's in a text file, rather than in a binary! :confused:

Westside ...

I graduated from Oberlin, many years ago, and we had no such rivalries, though I had a personal one with Heidelberg, which was in my home town.

I've been to Omaha many times. There used to be a good steak and rib place downtown, in what looked like an old industrial building of some kind, but the name has long since escaped me.

17. 2004/11/22

The job was actually pretty easy, once I gave it some thought, and I did it yesterday afternoon, while watching football. First, I made a copy of the good profile folder. Then, I copied each file from the bad profile folder, one at a time, to the good folder, starting Firefox after each file was copied.

After discovering that none of the files outside the \Cache, \Chrome, and \Extensions folders was at fault, I started by copying each of those folders, in turn. Firefox started OK after copying the \Cache and \Extensions folders, but not with the copied \Chrome folder, so I knew that's where the bad file was. I had to kill Firefox in Task Manager because, even though it hadn't opened, it was an active process.

To make a long story short, there were two files in the \Chrome folder that prevented Firefox from opening, \Chrome\chrome.rdf and \Chrome\Overlayinfo\Browser\Content\overlays.rdf. Both have to do with extensions and, as the problem began with PrefsBar, something was undoubtedly written to those two files that prevented Firefox from opening properly. The chrome.rdf file, BTW, was considerably different in size from the same file in the good profile. If you're interested in pursuing the matter further, I'll be happy to email you copies of the bad files and their good equivalents.

Last edited: 2004/11/22
  18. 2004/11/22
    Ramona

Jim,

Thanks loads for the feedback. Well, that is quite logical, since the last thing you did was to add the prefbar extension. No need to send the file. BTW, did you reinstall the prefbar, and if so is it working O.K.?

I assume that you are using the older version of the Java Plug-in now? You might want to think about upgrading Java, as there is a security vulnerability in all versions older than 1.4.2_05. See this thread: Sun Java Security Hole

Ramona :)

19. 2004/11/22

Hi Ramona,

I didn't need to reinstall PrefsBar, as the good *.rdf files already contained the information necessary for it to work.

Once I realized that the problem lay with neither Firefox, itself, NOR with the JavaRE, I left Java 1.5 (or 5, since it seems to go by both numbers) installed, and have had no problems.

There's one curious thing, though. If I open <APPLET> tag support on Java Control Panel's Advanced tab, the "Mozilla and Netscape" box is still unchecked and, if I check it and try to OK out, I get the warning message mentioned in my first message in the thread. Yet, Firefox seems to be using Java and Javascripts normally. Go figure!

20. 2004/11/22
    Ramona

Jim,

I'm not sure how to get there in Windows XP, but:
    Open the Control Panel | Internet Options
    Click on the Advanced Tab
    Scroll down to Java (Sun)
    Insert a tick beside "User JRE 1.5.0 for < applet > (requires restart)

Now see if you can enable the Netscape/Moz settings in the Java | Advanced window. Maybe this will stop the error.

Have you disabled the MS JVM yet?

Ramona

21. 2004/11/22

Ramona ...

Unless I'm mistaken, The Internet Options sheet governs only Internet Explorer settings.

In any event, I had already done that, and it has no effect on the appearance of the warning message. As I said, though, Firefox seems to be using Java and Javascript quite nicely. That's governed, in Firefox, on the Options > Web Features sheet.

MS JVM has always been disabled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.