1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Java Plug-in Error when opening Firefox

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by JSS3rd, 2004/11/18.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/11/22
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

Hi Jim,

Yes, that option is for Internet Explorer, but the error also pertains to Internet Explorer, right? Oh well, if everything is running O.K., then no problemo!

Sun used to have desktop Forums, but their site has been updated, and I didn't find any end user Forums, which is a bummer.... They seem to have a pretty slim Help and FAQ page too.

Ramona

2. 2004/11/22
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member Thread Starter

Hi Ramona,

The error wouldn't seem to apply to IE, as the box for it is already checked. And, as I said, everything sooms OK (knock wood!)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/11/23
    mikewanca

mikewanca Banned

Jim,

On your original Java Plugin error, it had to do with the spoofed User Agent. You should always restore the original UA when closing Mozilla or Firefox since leaving it as IE will case the error you saw. See:

http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/java.html
    http://www.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla1.7/known-issues.html#general
    http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=83376
    Mike

Last edited: 2004/11/23
  5. 2004/11/23
    Ramona

Mike,

Thank you for the excellent information on this error. I only use a couple of extensions for Firefox, so I didn't even think of UA spoofing. Really appreciate your input!

Ramona

6. 2004/11/24

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the research on the error, but I'm still puzzled, because of this quote from PrefsBar Help:
    "The PrefBar automatically resets your user agent to the default (correct) value when you exit mozilla. This prevents you from running into bug 83376 (unless mozilla crashes), and makes sure you don't forgot (sic)that you changed the UA string and leave it spoofed for three weeks. "​
    I was trying to use PrefBar's User Agent to view a page on my Credit Union's website, which I know is written for IE. I can't give you the URL because it's a password protected page.

After selecting "IE 6.0 WinXP" in the User Agent, I reloaded the page and logged in again. The page still didn't display properly, so I probably gave up and closed Firefox at that time. It may be that the User Agent didn't reset as it's supposed to, as it was when I next tried to open Firefox that I got the Java error and subsequent Mozilla/Netscape browser warning.

7. 2004/11/24
    decoder

decoder Inactive

I thought I better post the solution I used to fix this problem since this topic is one of the first results returned in google.

Not having the liberty of being able to switch my firefox profile with my other machine I resorted to hunting around in the two files JSS3rd mentioned but couldn’t find anything to link directly to the useragent string. This is probably due to the fact that I wasn’t using prefbar, but User Agent Switcher. Giving up, I went to the UAS website for help and come across this topic in the forums http://www.chrispederick.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=162 in which this was linked to http://www.chrispederick.com/work/firefox/useragentswitcher/faq/index.php#issues2

As suggested I removed the line containing 'user_pref( "general.useragent.override ", "<user agent string>'');' started firefox and everything worked perfectly.

I wonder if this would fix errors caused by prefbar as well?

8. 2004/11/25

Decoder ...

Thanks for the info. That will go into my "System Fixes" file.

9. 2004/12/08

To bring this portion of the thread up to date, I found that neither PrefBar's User Agent nor UserAgent Switcher worked as advertised. Today, however, I discovered an extension which may interest you.

Launchy 3.6.0, which works with almost any Mozilla/Netscape program including Firefox and Thunderbird, allows you to open a page/table/link/image with any number of external applications, if they're installed on your computer.

So, I no longer have to try to spoof Firefox, or copy a URL and paste it into IE or SlimBrowser (IE shell, with far more features and capabilities than IE) ... I simply right-click on a page/link to open the context menu, select "Launchy ", which opens a sub-menu listing the programs that can be used to display the page, and select "Open in Internet Explorer" or "Open in SlimBrowser ". No reloading of the Firefox window is necessary, because the page/link actually opens in the selected browser.

10. 2004/12/10
    what_do_i_do

what_do_i_do Inactive

where to get JRE 1.4.2_07

We've been trying to find a copy of 1.4.2_07 to see if it fixes some other problems. Do you (or anyone reading this) have a copy you could send us? or suggest where to get it? we cant find it on the SUN web yet.

Dan

11. 2004/12/10

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the BBS.

I don't know that Sun ever released JRE 1.4.2.07, as their website shows 1.4.2.06 as the last version in the 1.4 series before the release of JRE 1.5 (which they also call 5.0).

12. 2004/12/10
    Ramona

Hi Dan,

Forgive my typo, as there is no 1.4.2_07, and 1.4.2_06 is the last version released in the 1.4.2 series. This is the link for 1.4.2_06:
    J2SE v 1.4.2_06 JRE

Ramona

13. 2004/12/10

Try this one first, as it's the actual download page. If you can't get to it (I can, but maybe it's because it's stored in my browser's history), you'll have to use Ramona's link.

14. 2004/12/30
    dovwas

dovwas Inactive

I had the same problem; solution worked great

I had the same exact problem that JSS3rd originally described over the past few days. I tried many things to fix the problem, none of which worked. Then I noticed this discussion thread. I followed Ramona's original suggestion, and it worked perfectly for me.

I uninstalled Firefox, then uninstalled all Java plug-ins, and also all Java JDKs and JREs and even Java webstart, just to be safe. I knew I could always download them again if I needed to (gotta love broadband). I then reinstalled just Firefox, and it worked! I navigated to a page that I knew had a Java applet, and I followed Firefox's instructions to download the plugin. It suggested J2SE5.0 (though the dot in 5.0 was missing in the plug-in name). That stands for Java 2 Standard Edition, version 5.0. Sun mixed up the version numbering with the versions after 1.4, calling it version 5 in marketing materials, and version 1.5 in technical areas. It is the same thing. And of course, all these versions are "Java 2 ". ;-)

I installed that Java plug-in, and had to restart the (FF) browser per the instructions. The applet now loaded perfectly. Thank you very much, Ramona!

I will add one weird thing. I mentioned that I had uninstalled FF, electing to "Remove <default installation dir> completely ". When I finally got FF working again, all my Extensions and config settings were back as I had originally had them! I had resigned myself to they're being gone as the install directory was gone, yet lo and behold, there they were. Interestingly enough, my User Agent setting was set to "IE 6 ". I had User Agent Switcher installed for a while, and it's quite possible that the cause of my problem was the bug involving the IE UA setting on exit and/or crash. I don't recall a FF crash before it wet kablooey, though.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this thread as it helped me recover from a very annoying situation too.

Happy New Year all,

-Dov

15. 2004/12/30
    Ramona

Welcome to the Forum, dovwas!

Dov,

I'm so glad you found this thread, and were able to get your Firefox running again! Always a pleasure to receive positive feedback, and thank you!

Buy that thing some Depends! :D

During the uninstall, when you opted to "Remove completely, this refers to C:\Program Files\Firefox, and not your Profiles folder which is located in the ~\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox (see Profiles Folder Location). That's why your Profile remained intact, and aren't you glad? Ensure that you back up your Profile fairly frequently. See this guideline for Preventive Browser Maintenance.

Happy New Year to you!

Ramona

16. 2005/01/26
    b6a4

b6a4 Inactive

First off, thanks Ramona for your solution that helped me get FF back up and running. One question, when I select Netscape/Mozilla in the < Applet > tag and click ok as you suggest below, I get an warning message indicating that the browser setting could not be changed because mozilla or netscape is not properly installed. I have FF1.0 installed and running on my WIN ME computer. Is this a problem?

Thanks, Steve.

17. 2005/01/27
    Ramona

Steve,

Go to this site to see if your Java is running properly. If so, then the error isn't a problem. I doubt that it is a problem, but since I also have Mozilla and Netscape installed, I have no way to check it out.

http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

Scroll down the page just a little and you should see "Dancing Duke ".

Ramona

18. 2005/01/27
    b6a4

b6a4 Inactive

Ramona.

I get confirmation that version 5.0 is installed, but no dancing Duke through FF 1.0. I see dancing Duke when I open the page in IE. I guess I'm not surprised as there is no checkbox in teh console for FF. I have Java enable through the FF browser, but that doesn't seem to work either.

Should this test work with FF 1.0?

Thanks for your help. Steve.

19. 2005/01/27

Steve ...

Duke dances for me. FF 1.0+ (12-15-04).

20. 2005/01/27
    Ramona

Steve,

Yes, you should see the Duke "get down" in Firefox 1.0. Have you checked your about:plugins in Firefox? If not, clear the Location Bar, and type:
    about:plugins
    Is Java listed?

You might also do this:

Copy the following files from: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin

NPJava11.dll
    NPJava12.dll
    NPJava13.dll
    NPJava14.dll
    NPJava32.dll
    NPJPI150.dll
    NPOJI610.dll

and paste them into your Firefox plugins folder here:
    C:\Program Files\firefox\plugins

Let us know how it goes.

Ramona

21. 2005/01/27
    b6a4

b6a4 Inactive

Ramona,

regarding about:plugins, yes java is installed. here's the output:

Java(TM) 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 Update 1

File name: NPJava11.dll
    Java Plug-in 1.5.0_01 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
    application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.1 Java Applet Yes
    application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.1 JavaBeans Yes
    application/x-java-applet;version=1.1 Java Applet Yes
    application/x-java-bean;version=1.1 JavaBeans Yes
    application/x-java-applet Java Applet Yes
    application/x-java-bean JavaBeans Yes

File name: NPJava12.dll

application/x-java-applet;version=1.2 Java Applet Yes
    application/x-java-bean;version=1.2 JavaBeans Yes
    application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.3 Java Applet Yes
    application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.3 JavaBeans Yes
    application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.2 Java Applet Yes
    application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.2 JavaBeans Yes

File name: NPJava13.dll

application/x-java-applet;version=1.3.1 Java Applet Yes
    application/x-java-bean;version=1.3.1 JavaBeans Yes
    application/x-java-applet;version=1.4 Java Applet Yes
    application/x-java-bean;version=1.4 JavaBeans Yes
    application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.1 Java Applet Yes
    application/x-java-bean;version=1.4.1 JavaBeans Yes

File name: NPJava14.dll

application/x-java-applet;version=1.4.2 Java Applet Yes
    application/x-java-bean;version=1.4.2 JavaBeans Yes
    application/x-java-applet;version=1.5 Java Applet Yes
    application/x-java-bean;version=1.5 JavaBeans Yes

File name: NPJava32.dll

application/x-java-applet;version=1.3 Java Applet Yes
    application/x-java-bean;version=1.3 JavaBeans Yes
    application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.2 Java Applet Yes
    application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.2 JavaBeans Yes
    application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.1 Java Applet Yes
    application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.1 JavaBeans Yes

File name: NPJPI150_01.dll

application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.5.0_01 Java Applet Yes
    application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.5.0_01 JavaBeans Yes

File name: NPOJI610.dll

application/x-java-vm Java Yes

JSS3rd,

Firefox 1.0+? Got a link to this version? My version says: "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0 ". Just downloaded yesterday from "http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ ".

Steve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.