1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

"Found Hardware" Wizard

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by noclue, 2008/10/25.

1. 2008/11/04
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Yahoo!!! Looks like we have a success. :D

No you don't have to practice the ctrl+c cntrl+v copy method but you may want to keep it in the back of mind, though. CopyNpaste problems may rear it's ugly head again and, generally, if it doesn't work using one method, you have to try another. There is still a few situations where you have to experiment to find the method that will work.
    *A few occasions where running background applications will block it, *working within and back and forth between two or more applications,
    *and 3rd party apps of the security kind that can be set up with an option setting that could.
    *snafu with clipboard(s)
    *etc.

The list of possible fixes or work arounds can get quite lengthy so we'll just let this rest as your immediate problem seems to be solved by finding a method that worked for ya'.

The big question is can you use this same method to post that emagazine link to your other board? Keep in mind that some sites disallow or have blocked the copying of their content. And some boards do not allow the pasteing of links. :eek:
    ------------------------------------

You can go ahead and uninstall the "Toolbar Uninstaller" application you previously downloaded. It was a while since I used this and had forgotten that it could be a tad bit confusing for a beginner. Looks like you don't need it anyway so there's no need to keep it hanging around.
    -------------------------------------

Without going back through the previous post was it ever figured out exactly what you downloaded and ran that was not ATF Cleaner:
    which, by the way, looks like this:
    http://www.softpedia.com/screenshots/ATF-Cleaner_1.png

And did you ever manage to download the correct program?

2. 2008/11/04
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

"Sigh of relief." :D Well it looks like we got the copy and paste issue resolved. :)

When I Pm'ed you Judy I asked if you indeed did download the correct program that was ATF Cleaner. I wasn't sure if you did run the program or not. The post where you told me the results of the program you did run was not ATF Cleaner. If you haven't done so already then please re-read my post on where to download ATF Cleaner and how to run it. Its a very easy to use program and it will likely speed up your system. Knowing your situation you probably have never removed any junk/temporary files from your computer anyway, so by running this program it will free up space on your harddrive as well.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/11/05
    noclue

noclue Inactive Thread Starter

The acid test will be trying to post on my two message boards, neither of which "bans" posting links. I am still curious about why the "copy" & "paste" are grayed out in my menu. :confused: Don't seem natural! :D But, anyway, I now have something to try which actually works -- at least on this board. I will try another board and let y'all know.

I uninstalled the toolbar uninstaller. I checked out the ATF Cleaner site, but am not sure which box to check. Temporary files? What is the difference between doing the cleaner & deleting cookies/temporary files? I delete cookies every two weeks as part of my maintenance routine.

5. 2008/11/05
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hi noclue try this link:

This may be a less confusing site. Just click on the blue download button and select save.
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/atfcleaner.html

ATF is a speacialized tool that only does one thing Automatic Temporary File cleaner. Hence the name ATF. It's very small and very quick. An extremely handy tool to have and run. Faster than Windows built in "Cleanup" which does much more than just clean temps. Every once in a while you find a tool, application, or gadget that is frequently recommended as Keepers. This is one of those tools that is a "Keeper ". ;) You should keep using Windows Diskcleanup as part of your regular maintenance routine but when you need a quickie temp clean ATF is great.

As Evan mentioned, when first run, check to select all choices, with the exception of Prefetch files, (leave this unchecked). A complete prefetch empty is only needed or recommended under special circumstances.

Nothing on this tool is harmful, beyond the cookies that you may have to reset for favorite sites and dropdown histories that will have to collected again.

Later, when you use it you can pick and choose your temps. I always have "Windows Temp ", User temp" and Current User temp checked. All others unchecked. I use it on this setting regularly, such as after installs or uninstalls or when using apps that I know will store a lot of junk files in temp and not clean up after themselves. That's after a reboot of course just to make sure nothing that may have been put in the temp files is needed by these installs or uninstalls.

Last edited: 2008/11/05
  6. 2008/11/05
    noclue

The entire AFT operation took less than five minutes! Is this right? I checked everything but "prefetch..." I got a little window saying everything was cleaned. I didn't see anything that said "save," however.

I am now having to sign back into everything, as if I had deleted cookies. Does this take the place of deleting cookies? Should I download it and create an icon? I delete my cookies every two weeks, and I do the diskclean & defrag every month.

7. 2008/11/05
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

noclue,

I'm a bit confused when you first report:
    and then ask

How could you run it without downloading and saving it, first?

I hope, when you click on a link, from the internet, that is for an application that you want to download, in this case ATF Cleaner, that IF you get a popup that asks whether you want to "run or save" that you are selecting save.

------------------------
    To answer your question, "Should it takes five minutes "?
    Yes it can, depending on the amount of accumulated temp files it has to empty (delete) and the number of locations you have asked ATF to clean. Five minutes would not be unusual. Amount of time taken would be based on how many choices you made for the areas of ATF to clean and the amount of temp files in those locations.

The fact that you only do this every two weeks using "windows cleanup" could be another factor. Two weeks can be a long time depending on your computer habits, or what you've done in that two weeks.
    ----------------------------------------------

If you did check all options except prefetch, you did clean cookies, with ATF. Cookies are an ATF option. That's why your having to reset these for your favorite frequently visited sites. Cookies are what these sites use to store that information in. I did mention this previously in thread #64.

When you run ATF cleaner next time, unless your having computer problems, you can leave all options unchecked except:
    *Windows Temp
    *Current user temp
    *All user temp

This is a minimal temp clean but is usually all one needs under normal circumstances.

Should you create a shortcut to it? A shortcut would be handy but the choice is yours. At least a shortcut would remind you that you have this tool. I have one located on my desktop as we speak.

8. 2008/11/06
    noclue

I know it must be confusing to translate what I write; I do not know the proper terms for many of the functions/activities. I was just wondering where "save" was and why I missed it. I just clicked on "run. "

By "download it," I meant should I keep it to use on a regular basis. You answered that in your last paragraph. I will likewise create an icon for my desktop. I wrote down the items I should leave unchecked the next time I run AFT. Thanks for teaching me about this handy tool.

I suppose I should be be cleaning things up a bit more often. I do visit several different Internet sites, and I also shop online. Mostly ,however, I read/send email and post on one (sometimes two) message board(s).
    Make that three in the last couple of weeks since I've been here a lot! :)

9. 2008/11/06
    Evan Omo

Alright success! :D Its great that you were able to run ATF Cleaner without a problem. So now Judy, are there any more issues you are having or can we call this thread resolved?

10. 2008/11/06
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Great! we're making progress. "ATF Cleaner" is now a done and tucked away issue. I just want to clarify once again that the first three items in ATF should be checked (or enabled). These would be the temp files for windows, user and current user. All other checks should be cleared (not chosen). Don't get confused and do it the other way. :eek:

Now back to the question......

What did you download from the net when you thought you were downloading and running ATF celaner? Here is your quote from that previous thread:
    As you now know this was not ATF but something else.

We need to make sure it is not something that is potentially harmful. By "harmful ", I mean that it can cause "more harm then good" if used by a beginner incorrectly or if it is not clearly understood what is being done and the risks in doing so. I just want to make double sure it is not one of the registry cleaners or something equally risky that many of the links lead to on the majorgeek.com site.

To Evan,
    How ya' doing? I haven't hijacked this post, really I haven't.....;)

Last edited: 2008/11/06
  11. 2008/11/06
    Evan Omo

LOL. :) You haven't Ann. You have been a great help to Judy. I was actually wondering the same thing. The program that you downloaded Judy was NOT ATF Cleaner. Ann an I want to make sure that the program you downloaded wasn't a harmful program such as a rogue antispyware program or a registry cleaner. Could you tell us the name of the program? Thanks.

12. 2008/11/07
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Judy, I've been following this thread with interest as the learning curve goes on forever. Here's a link which I found very helpful as it's basic "monkey see - monkey do ". www.open.ac.uk/pc4study/writing/demo-how-to-copy-and-paste.php There is a lot of info available on this subject and as the computer world started for me at age 51, I am still increasing my knowledge and having built and repaired/serviced 5 Desktops and 1 Notebook I spend quite a fair bit of my time picking up info wherever I can and playing around with that new info. At my current age 72 I like to try and share with others so please don't think I'm butting in on the wonderful job Ann and Evan are doing. I do "Google around a lot ". Neil.

13. 2008/11/08
    noclue

goddez1

Hello, goddez1,
    I am a good friend of noclue, who asked me to message you to let you know she has had a terrible accident, spilling a whole glass of water into her laptop!::mad:

She said to tell you she didn't know how long she would be without another; hopefully, not too long as she goes through "withdrawal" without it, LOL.

She'll be thinking of you, and hopes to be in touch ASAP.

I'm known as
    kat

14. 2008/11/08
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hello Kat,

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that. Tell noclue my heart goes out to her and that I sure hopes she can find another computer replacement soon. I know what computer withdrawal feels like and don't wish this on anybody.I've enjoyed helping her and will look forward to helping her in the future.

Thanks for letting us know why this post may be left unresponded to. I'd hate to be left, guessing what may have happened to noclue.

Best of luck,
    Ann

15. 2008/11/08
    Evan Omo

Hi kat. I am also sorry that Judy spilled water on her labtop. :( Hopefully she will be able to get a good replacement. Tell her that I wish the best of luck to her. :)

16. 2008/11/09
    geochem

geochem Inactive

Hi,
    This all sounds very similar to the "virus/worm/trojan/malware" I have been struggling with since August (at least) It has changed in various versions as I have infected different computers (about a dozen now) but the found new hardware wizard,especially related to the audio/video controller is troublesome. In this version of whatever it is, I also had mouse driver issues, page sizing things, and the fact that the thing hangs on the windows installer. It wants you to get all these "normal" windows things-- be suspicious of having to click on alerts, balloon whatever. The mouse\page size thing is related to having to click and thus power (?) the malware.

I have been working on this since August-- The most recent version is now attached somehow to my gmail page with some brower redirector/botnet.

I am sad to say I do not have a solution to this thing. I hope you find one. The malware I had also wrote to commercial CDs, so be careful with that. It moved freely across all wireless networks. I am working with sophos techs and their computer tech somewhat locally. I (or the tech) have reformatted, reinstalled, reset BIOS\CMOS etc. all to no avail. AV only finds the trash it leave behind, not the real infection. I have used nearly every brand, now trying sophos, since they at least are working on it.

I hope this is not your issue. I think mine originated as a Chinese or Russian rootkit, with the addition of whatever other malware it could find.

Best of luck
    Patty

17. 2008/11/09
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Patty

Suggest you try this and start your own thread if you want to clean this up on your machine.

NoClue

If you don't try to use the keyboard you may have a fighting chance. Remove the battery and all power. Open up the laptop and let it sit in an upside-down V for 4-5 days. This should provide sufficient time to dry it out. As long as you don't try to use it until its completely dry you have a much better than 50-50 chance of rescue.

;)

Sorry - Not my intent to Hijack the thread

Last edited: 2008/11/09
  18. 2008/11/12
    noclue

EvanOmo and goddez1, thanks for the sweet replies; judy will appreciate them! BTW, does this message bd allow me to send this thread to my email, where I can connect to you more easily, and read this thread to her?
    Oh, she wants to know if she can order a Dell XP without Vista...she just learned a bit about XP, and doesn't want another "learning curve ", LOL!
    Thanks, you guys...er, guy and gal...
    kat

19. 2008/11/13
    Evan Omo

No Problem. I guess we can call this thread resolved. Hopefully Judy will be able to get that dell XP CD. I am glad Ann an I could help Judy with her issues. :)