1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Desktop icons failure.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by BobbyScot, 2017/12/31.

1. 2018/01/10
    tquinn Contributing Member

tquinn Well-Known Member

Was the lack of success that you did not download the software, or that you did download it successfully, but it did not work when you installed it? I just did a trial download and that worked. But that particular site has lots of buttons that lead to other things. If you have trouble getting it down, let me know and I'll add walk-through instructions.

2. 2018/01/10
    BobbyScot

BobbyScot Geek Member Thread Starter

I agree that buttons that I clicked did not show the correct button for me to download the required software. As you say very confusing, especially at my time of life, this is so. Thanks.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2018/01/10
    tquinn Contributing Member

tquinn Well-Known Member

Try this:

Click this link: DesktopOK 4.93 Save and restore the desktop icon positions.

Near the top of the page, there are a list of links that look like this: "# About # History # Eula # Help file # Screenshots # Faq # Download (155 KB) # [​IMG] DE [​IMG] EN

Click on the one that says "Download (155 KB)

On the next page, there are three links near the upper left. Click the first one that says "DesktopOK.zip"

Watch the bottom of the screen, wait a few seconds, and a message should appear that says "Do you want to open or save DesktopOK.zip (155 KB) from softwareok.com?" Click on "Save"

Now that same bar at the bottom has three buttons, Open, Open Folder and View Downloads. Click on "Open Folder" Or it might says something different, but do what it takes to save it and get to the Downloads folder.

Put the cursor on DesktopOK.zip if it isn't already there.

Now right click on the Desktop.zip, and click on the line that says "Open With " and choose Windows Explorer or File Explorer, and click on it.

You should see four files.

Double click on DesktopOK.exe

This will give a small window asking if you want to extract the files from the .zip. Click on Extract All

A window will open asking you where you want to put the program files. Chose or create a folder where you want to put the program files, then select that folder, and then click on extract all.

That should take you to the folder you just browsed to. Double Click DesktopOK.exe, and it should open the program.

Click on Save, and it will save the location of all of your icons on your desktop.

Close the program, and go back to Desktop.exe. Right click on that, and click Create Shortcut.

Now make a copy of that shortcut, and go to your desktop, and paste the copy there. The icon looks like a square filled with many little icons. It stands out, so it will be easy to find if your screen icons get messed up.

You can save icons again if you make changes to your desktop.

At any time you need to, you can start this program, select a saved view of the desktop, and click Restore.

That is the basic function. You can automate saves if you want to after you get used to it.

Good luck,

Terry