1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Death of the mouse! 6 new ways to control your PC

Discussion in 'News @ WindowsBBS' started by Arie, 2013/01/31.

1. 2013/01/31
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff Thread Starter

Call it a "disappearing user interface," or "perceptual computing." Whichever clunky name you use, you'll soon be controlling your PC with gestures, voice commands and eye movements. See ya, mouse!

Leap Motion is more than gesture control: It tracks even the eeniest wiggle of a digit.

The company's highly sophisticated system can track the movements of all 10 fingers on your hand. The tiniest twitch is picked up, down to 1/100th of a millimeter (smaller than the tip of a pin) with movements tracked at 290 frames per second.

Read CNN Article

Arie,
  2. 2013/02/01
    savagcl Lifetime Subscription

savagcl Geek Member

two items:

Palsy
    Nervous

Of course, these can apply to a mouse also.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/02/23
    AlexH

AlexH Just an Old Timer getting help ...

Pretty neat; I followed the link but there wasn't too much more than what you wrote. Nothing of substance yet.

Certainly very interesting to look forward to this thing.

BTW, Arie, do you know if the MS fingerprint reader will work with Win 8? They stopped putting out drivers for Vista/7 and I've not heard anything about for Win 8. If you know where to find a driver for this gizmo, please point me toward it.

-a.

5. 2013/02/23
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

There is 6 pages!

AlexH likes this.
  6. 2013/02/25
    AlexH

AlexH Just an Old Timer getting help ...

My bad, Arie!

When I saw the Red "Back" and "Next" buttons, I didn't realize they were for the same article.

Nice! Great things to look forward to having to play with.

Which brings up a question about good old Windows. For a few versions now, Windows has had some voice command capabilities, like talk-to-text in Word, for one example. I have always been surprised that nobody really takes advantage of it - including myself.

Have you any experience with Microsoft's voice control or talk-to-text? If so, how does it stack up to Dragon Dictate? I was a desktop support engineer at a law firm for a few years, and always wondered why they would pay so much for Dragon's Legal version, and not develop Windows' capabilities.

What's your take on it? Anybody have an opinion on this topic? (Should this go in a diferent forum?)

Thanks, all.

-a.

7. 2013/02/26
    MitchellCooley Lifetime Subscription

MitchellCooley Inactive

I'll stick with my tablet and pen.

Not to make light of people's ailments but, be a heck of a thing for someone with Parkinson's

AlexH likes this.