1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Computer Hanging up when opening functions

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by blakston6286, 2015/07/27.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2015/08/26
    blakston6286 Lifetime Subscription

blakston6286 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I keep trying to save these functions to my desktop and I keep getting a prompt when I click on the downloaded file sectioin in my browser that says Windows cannot open these files and that is as far as it will let me get.

2. 2015/08/26

Also did I mention that all of a sudden when I run Disk Cleanup I have 2 new categories that get quite full.
    One is System Archived Windows Error Reporting....
    The other is System Queued Windows Error Reporting...

Never seen these before. And I have to say they are some times massive...The other day I had 2 Gigabytes in one. today after having my machine on only one hour I had 337 Megabytes...What is this that seems to be happening??

Last edited: 2015/08/26

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/08/26
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Try the solution outlined here to restore your bookmarks, Recover lost or missing Bookmarks.

Then download and install the latest version of Firefox from here, Mozilla Firefox.

Can you tell me the complete error message when you attempt to run the Autoruns and MiniToolBox programs?

That's normal because you have a lot of programs that keep crashing and Windows Vista saves those error reports which leads to a lot of used disk space being used by those error reports.

Regardless though we need to find the cause of your Steam games and your Carbonite program crashing so hopefully once you provide me the details from the programs that I asked for, we can proceed further.

5. 2015/08/29

OK I probably was not clear.

Firstly; I am NOT running Windows 7. I am running Vista Home Premium 64.

Secondly; My STEAM games do NOT crash...they Minimize to the lower toolbar when the Microsoft Windows window appears.
    This Microsoft Windows ..window takes over and minimizes my game like a bully. The game is still active but is reduced to the lower tool bar where I have to click on it and restore it. The game never stops working and I never get kicked off of STEAM I just get bullied by a program that feels it has precedence and decides what I am doing is inferior to what it has to say.

I have actually been typing a response to you here on BBS many times and I will look up and see that my message was cut off midstream and I am no longer typing like I thought I was. I will look in the lower toolbar and voila there is a minimized Microsoft Windows Notification. So I close the Microsoft notification and I have to click on what I was typing if I want to continue.

The problem is NOT my STEAM or the BBS page I am typing on....it is this Microsoft Window that keeps appearing randomly and forcing anything I am working on to halt or minimize.

NEVER, never, never had this problem till I went thru the cleaning process.

So what I need to know IS....what process during the extensive cleaning set in play this Microsoft Window that keeps popping up saying some engine has shut down for not working correctly.

I will tell you that this Microsoft Windows just randomly chooses what it is going to shut down It also keeps popping back up with the same identical info that last the window popped up with if I close it. So sometimes I just don't close it.

I am figuring Secunia PSI or Carbonite Or any of the other programs this Microsoft Windows decides to shut down or over power and then generate a message about it is doing so on its own.

I have gone to my Carbonite and checked to see if it was actually shut down and it has never been shut down.
    So this Microsoft Window thingee is just an invasive pest.
    But I need to find it and fry it because it is a bothersome pest.

Last edited: 2015/08/29
  6. 2015/08/29

Als.....the links you gave me won't open on my computer. They keep asking me where I want to go to find a process to open them.
    I'm thinking maybe you sent me to some Windows 7 processes cause you did mention you thought I was running Windows 7. But I am not.

7. 2015/08/29
    Evan Omo

The programs that I suggested will work on Vista systems as well so that's not the problem. Ty running this program first and then see if you can run the programs that I outlined earlier, FixExec Download.

What engine is it saying was shut down? This is a case of some other program on your system that is repeatedly crashing multiple times which is causing this annoyance. I need to know what the window says because in most cases it will say what file has crashed.

8. 2015/09/01

It says that the engine for Carbonite has been stopped for incorrectly running and then says that Microsoft will look into the problem and notify me if they find a solution.
    I have reinstalled Carbonite with the permission of Carbonite and everything was backed up fine. However when the A Microsoft notice appeared
    This was after I spent 6 hours going thru the reinstall and original Backup process..

So something is targeting my Carbonite. Because according to my Carbonite program I now do not have a single file backed up when 15 minutes ago I had close to 16,000 files backed up.

I dumped Secunia PSI because it was one of the other programs I was told to run when the cleaning was done. Secunia PSI kept telling me that I needed to update 9 programs. But those nine programs are not compatible with Windows Vista. So I got rid of that program

9. 2015/09/01

OK..... I was able to run FixExec.
    It ran for about 1 and a half seconds and then said my executable files were now fixed. So What do I look for or what do I do to see if that fixed something?

10. 2015/09/01

This is EXACTLY what the Microsoft pop up window says every time....

Where I have typed capital letters there are Capital letters...Where I have typed Lower case letters the are actually lower case letters.

Carbonite Secure Backup Engine stopped working and was closed in a larger light blue font...
    Ina smaller lower case black font is written...........A problem caused the application to stop working correctly. Windows will notify you if a solution is available.

11. 2015/09/01

Yeah OK.......now When I open My Carbonite this is what is there.

(There is a green circle with a white check mark in it in front of these words written in a large Purple font)Online Backup

15,586 files (15.3 GB)

(There is a constantly spinning cursor here in front of these words) Searching for files to backup

Your backup is up to date.

Backup is pending

1,472 files pending (81.3 MB)

12. 2015/09/01

The problem with that message is that 20 minutes ago I had all 15,586 files backed up with no files pending.
    So I am thinking there is some kind of program that is piggybacking on my Carbonite and searching and destroying it.....Maybe???

Last edited: 2015/09/01
  13. 2015/09/01

Still getting a .....what program do you want to use to open this.....message after downloading and trying to run Autoruns. link..It will download but will not open and run...says I have to go somewhere and search for the program that opens it.

14. 2015/09/01
    Evan Omo

Did you right click on FixExec and select Run as administrator? Did you reboot the computer after the FixExec program ran to see if you can now run Autoruns or MiniToolBox?

So Carbonite is the program that is crashing constantly. This could be a problem with Carbonite itself or some other 3rd party program that is interfering with Carbonite in some way.

15. 2015/09/06

To the question did I right click and Run as Administrator ....I was not given that option.

When I go to the site from the link you gave me I am given 3 choices ...one of them is 64 bit so I click on that button and I get a window prompt to Save...Then it saves to my browser..(which I really do not like) instead of giving me a choice where. I don't know when that started to happen because I have downloaded to my desktop till I finished the cleaning process then everything only downloads to the browser..

As far as Carbonite... I contacted Carbonite and they gave me permission to reinstall and they sent the hit to uninstall and reinstall Carbonite. But I am still getting that Microsoft Window that never appeared before all this.

16. 2015/09/06

As far as downloading and installing anything anymore you something during the cleaniong process wiped out what ever my computer was using to open files and installing them..like updates etc...so I am always getting the What do you want to use to open this file message. I am going to have to reinstall my OS to see if it reloads what was erased that I need to open files for upgrades and even the kinks you sent me to...

I went to try and download the same processes I was able to download and open before the cleaning and now they all ask me ..What do you want to use to open this program...really messed up.

17. 2015/09/06
    Evan Omo

That's why I am having you download the FixExec program to your machine. Then you need to right click on the file and select Run as administrator otherwise the fix that this program does will not work.

Since you are using Mozilla Firefox change where the files are being downloaded so they go to your desktop instead of somewhere else, Startup, home page, tabs, and download settings.

18. 2015/09/07

You are assuming I know what you are referring to when you say Startup, Home Page, tabs and download settings. I have not the faintest idea where these functions are or how to find them.

19. 2015/09/07

I have both Firefox and IE on my computer and I do not know how to tell which one is my default Browser. So say it is Firefox. When I open the Firefox browser there are no tabs, no anything but the blank opening page...It used to have a list of places on a task bar at the top but they have all been wiped clean by the processes. after I reinstalled Firefox and updated it. So I am kind of at ground zero as far as my understanding about this browser.

My Carbonite still does not work correctly even after a re installation I just keep finding the settings in my Carbonite account have actually reset them selves totally on their own. I will go t Carbonite settings and click on leave a green dot on all files downloaded. and the green dot does appear..then while I a using my computer I go back to the Carbonite settings because the green dots have disappeared and find something has gone into my settings and unchecked the box for showing the green dots and reset my settngs to show no green dots.....very aggravating....

20. 2015/09/12
    Evan Omo

Ok lets try this.

1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Then follow the instructions in my screenshots to save files on your desktop by looking at the following screenshots:

Options Window.

Download Location.

Download Folder.

2. Once you have configured Mozilla Firefox to download files to your desktop, download FixExec and now the file should save to your desktop.

Once you have the FixExec program saved to your desktop, right click on it and select Run as administrator as illustrated here, Right click menu.

3. After the FixExec program has finished running, reboot the computer and then go back to Post #15 and download both MiniToolBox and Autoruns and they should be saved to your desktop. Follow the instructions in post #15 to run those programs and post the information from those programs that I asked for in your next reply.

If you get stuck on a certain step, let me know and I can clarify it accordingly.

21. 2015/09/14

Thak you, Thank you, Thank you...I was very stuck. I had no idea where to go to do what you wanted me to do. I have changed the settings and I think I will have to constantly check that the settings are still where I put them because the download destination did change all by itself. It used to give me a choice and then when I updated Firefox it stopped giving me a choice where to send download and defaulted to firefoxes list. And I was suddenly stuck.

Now I will follow your previous instructions.

I would like to inform you of something I did recently to see if the result has any bearing on your plan for my computer.

I ran the AVG anti root kit scan and it did come up with what they call a medium threat (2 red dots) I was not allowed to clean this threat because it is in the anti root kit section and was stated that this threat was attached as part of the operating system so I thiought this information might be of some importance since I have been running AVG for ten years and this is the first time this particular threat has appeared.

Here is the exact message with Capital letters only where they appeared in the file........ to remotely access my computer.

Here is the exact message with Capital letters and spaces only where they appeared in the file........

Inline hook win32k.sys EngRestoreFloatingPointState+0x1BA0C->
    0xFFFFF960601929EB

I think this may be what is screwing up my Carbonite Engine by turning it off all the time..What do you think????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.