1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Care to share postive experiences ?

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by tigerbright, 2012/10/31.

1. 2012/11/02
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Thanks.

No, not in the desktop version of Windows 8. In Windows RT which is only available on tablet computers you won't be able to install 3rd party programs or use an alternative Internet browser. Windows Media Player is still present but the default Windows games are not installed on the desktop version of Windows 8. You will have to download them from the Windows Store if you want to play them.

The Metro Start Screen has much more limited functionality compared to the classic Start Menu. The search mechanic in Windows 7 is better than in Windows 8 and you have access to the Shutdown/Restart commands in two clicks versus having to click Settings< Power and then Shutdown/Restart in Windows 8.

Yes it will. As broni said, there are very minor differences in the kernel of Windows Vista/7/8. If your software worked on Windows 7 then it should work fine with Windows 8.

You should seriously think about it if its worth it to upgrade or not. Windows 7 still has mainstream support until 2015 so there isn't any rush and if your current Windows 7 system is running fine then I don't think upgrading is necessary unless you want to experiment with the new OS.

I think you should try using Windows 8 in a Virtual Machine (VM) first and see if you like it. Then you can take the plunge and upgrade to Windows 8 if you wish to do so.

Last edited: 2012/11/02
  2. 2012/11/02
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Thanks Evan. VM is something to think about.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2012/11/02
    tigerbright

tigerbright Inactive Thread Starter

to evan* , the taskbar runs along the bottom of the desktop - so not part of the "metro" menus - you can even drag upwards to double shortcut capacity
    You can cut shortcut icons originally placed by older programs in the desktop (workspace) onto the taskbar , so uncluttering the workspace
    Shortcut icons located in the "metro" menus can be pinned (copied) to the taskbar
    Default config is very tablet user orientated but happily the interface is highly customizable
    Keyboard short cuts are very useful as well

5. 2012/11/03
    tigerbright

tigerbright Inactive Thread Starter

I would definitely upgrade from Windows XP as a matter of priority - Windows 8 has much better security and better graphics quality and video frame rates when installed in supported XP era machines

6. 2012/11/03
    Evan Omo

No Problem. :)

I know that already. The taskbar and the desktop are the same as in Windows 7 but its the Start Menu that is missing and the Start Screen replacement provides limited functionality.

Last edited: 2012/11/03
  7. 2012/11/03
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

Had a nasty crash in Win8 this morning. Took me hours & hours to repair the damage.

I swap drives between Win7 & Win8. My data (including the \Users) is on my D drive.

Never had problems, but this morning Win8 gave me a BSOD and it scr3wed up the permissions on some files and corrupted some others.

Just finished analyzing the dump file... the crash was video related (nvidia).

I'll have to check for a driver update once I feel like I have the time I can deal with it again and give it another try. For now Win8 will be VM and laptop only.

8. 2012/11/03
    broni

broni Moderator Malware Analyst

Haha....I think it's a "Gremlin Day "!
    I got struck today as well...

Upon starting my computer this morning I was greeted with the following error message:

Secure boot violation.
    Invalid signature detected.
    Check secure boot policy in Setup.

What the heck?
    Yesterday everything was fine and didn't make any changes to my computer.
    After OKing the above message computer started just fine but when I rebooted the error was still there.

It was clearly BIOS message but since Windows sometimes gives you fake messages I wasn't sure how to approach it.
    I Googled it but there wasn't much there.
    All posts were suggesting disabling "secure boot policy" but it didn't feel right to me.

Before messing with BIOS I tried system restore and I even used Acronis to restore my computer to a state from 3 days ago.
    Nada. Same error.

Well, seeing no other options I booted to BIOS and I did reset it to defaults.
    Bingo!

I'm still puzzled though why it'd happen.
    Probably I'll never know but I hope it may help someone else in the future.

9. 2012/11/08
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Does that mean that if I change something in BIOS after installing Win 8, Win 8 wouldn't boot ? :confused:

10. 2012/11/09
    Evan Omo

No. You can change options in the BIOS with Windows 8 installed just like with any other Windows OS and it won't cause Windows 8 to fail to boot up.

The new secure boot feature included with UEFI systems that have Windows 8 installed will just make it harder for people to dual boot different OS's.

11. 2012/12/13
    Nick Wright

Nick Wright Inactive

Hi, - I really wish I could share some "positive experiences" regarding Windows 8 but I`m afraid my experience of it so far has been a catalogue of woe.
    Since I started using it I`ve been keeping a Log of the problems I`ve encountered and I`m currently on page 7 of a list of 37 separate Crashes, forced reboots, program malfunctions and BSOD`s.
    I only bought the computer a couple of weeks ago but have had to re-install the O/S from scratch twice already. -I did not buy a touch screen monitor with it and ordered one two days ago but have had such misery with it since then that I have now cancelled the order and am going to attempt to acquire windows 7 to replace it. -It really is that bad.

12. 2012/12/14
    Evan Omo

Hi Nick Wright. Since you did a clean install with Windows 8 and you are still having problems then you should return the computer and get a refund especially if you are getting BSOD's and program crashes.

But if you know that the hardware is stable and its an issue with Windows 8, then when you install Windows 7 make sure that there are Windows 7 drivers available for your Lenovo system.

Last edited: 2012/12/14
    Nick Wright likes this.
  13. 2012/12/14
    Nick Wright

Nick Wright Inactive

The same machine was being sold before W8 release with windows 7 so the drivers should be available but if I return the whole thing I`m still limited to systems of the specs I want that have win 8 pre-installed (pc-world).and really -I don`t think its the hardware judging from the nature of the problems.

Example :-latest problem is inability to run two browsers i.e Internet Explorer (Metro) and Waterfox (desktop) - whichever I make default works O.K. but the other stops working, -When I.E. default ,Waterfox will not load or re-install. If I make Waterfox default then I lose web connectivity on I.E.

Edit :-and I`d probably have to raise hell to get a refund - it aint that easy...
    ( Waterfox is basically 64 bit Firefox and 32 bit Firefox behaves the same.)

Another :-When there are more than one metro app updates the O/S try`s to select all the updates and download them - if I let it, it hangs. - if I tick one update at a time (de-selecting the rest each time) they update correctly.

Another: anytime I reboot , the system hangs on the "restarting" blue screen, - I have to physically hold the power button down to break the cycle (and I`m very patient - I waited 1 hour last time to make sure it really had hanged.

Last edited: 2012/12/14
  14. 2012/12/14
    Evan Omo

Well it sounds like you should install Windows 7 then and hope that the machine is stable and that everything works properly.

Nick Wright likes this.
  15. 2012/12/15
    Nick Wright

Nick Wright Inactive

I`ve heard you can "downgrade" to win 7 if you have a machine bought with Windows 8 Pro pre-installed, - would this hold true for a machine that has been upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro? (was bought two weeks ago with Windows 8 pre-installed).

16. 2012/12/15
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Check out Understanding downgrade rights. You'll have to ask the OEM. I doubt if you can use downgrade rights in your scenario.

Downgrade rights are largely designed for businesses that may have Windows 7 installation discs on hand or have volume licensing agreements that provide access to older versions of Windows. You will find it very hard to find an OEM willing to supply you with a Windows 7 disk for your downgrade. You'd also need a product key for the downgrade OS to get past the product key requirement during install.

Nick Wright likes this.
  17. 2012/12/15
    Nick Wright

Nick Wright Inactive

That's not good news for me, means I've got to raise a stink at PCworld now.
    Excuse me if I don't sound happy but the pc has just failed again and corrupted my file structure and folders.I've lost 1.5 terabytes of data and have got to install windows AGAIN.
    I,m posting this from my Android btw (at least that is still working...).

Edit:- I`m back on my laptop now (never thought I`d be so pleased to be on a computer running vista)-
    I am trying to run system restore and despite uninstalling norton 360 I am getting the message that restore cannot complete and is being blocked by my Antivirus product. -is there anything I can do to make restore run? - (I am so close to smashing this thing).

Last edited: 2012/12/15
  18. 2012/12/19
    MitchellCooley Lifetime Subscription

MitchellCooley Inactive

I upgraded last night over 64bit Windows 7. I was impressed with the upgrade.

It will take a little getting used to but I think I am going to like it. Win 8 is quicker than 7 and I think the start screen is an interesting feature. Now I just need to figure out how to organize it. I learn by doing.

The only thing that disappoints me is my DigiPro T-8000U graphics tablet isn't working right [can't tap the pen to open (I get the "right click" menu instead).

Will have fun over the next few weeks.

Mitch

19. 2012/12/19
    Arie

Haha... luckily my system loads some stuff so after the first 5 seconds both my monitors drop to the "Classic" desktop and I never see that cr@ppy "Start panel "...

Attached Files:

20. 2012/12/20
    Arie

OK, so my experiment lasted all of about 30 hours.

There's nothing in Windows 8 that makes me want it.

Then I ran into a networking issue with my WHS, whereby I could only access shares via IP address, not server name.

I did all the troubleshooting I could in 2 hours and got nowhere.

So I'm happy to be back in Windows 7

21. 2012/12/20
    Nick Wright

Nick Wright Inactive

"So I'm happy to be back in Windows 7 "

I wish I had that option... Couldn`t source a 7 disk.

BTW Norton got trashed, just running on defender & windows Firewall now and my problems have HALVED.

I too have bought "Start8" - cracking little program. :)

Last edited: 2012/12/20