1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

BSOD after system setting idle for 8 hours

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MitchellCooley, 2008/05/13.

1. 2008/05/26
    MitchellCooley Lifetime Subscription

MitchellCooley Inactive Thread Starter

Just got in from work and I see there aren't any new posts so I will assume uninstalling spybot is the best option. I really don't think Jim's neice would use spybot anyway - you know kids. She'll just be using it for myspace and the like so she should be pretty safe.

I'll put avast back on for antivirus. And maybe I will leave the rubotted program on Mike suggested I download.....?

I've heard spywareblaster is a "run in the background program" that may be suitable for someone who doesn't think about spyware, viruses, and adware. I want to leave this young lady with some protection against the malicious jerks out there.

I'll be on for a while, got a lot of reading to do.

Mitch

2. 2008/05/26
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Mitch

I'm full of admiration for both of you - you for your persistence and Mike for his persistence, knowledge and ingenuity :) What will you do now that troublesome kid has left town :D

My 2 pence (cents) worth.....

Dump Spybot.

I would be inclined to use Avira Antivirus Free rather than Avast - Avira came out top in a recent survey by Virus Test - and it is simpler to understand.

To keep the young lady out of trouble I would certainly install SpywareBlaster which gives some permanent protection- and pay the $5 or so for autoupdates, together with ....

IESpyads and a custom Hosts file

For a resident Antispyware program consider Windows Defender, not the best, but real time protection and updates - through Windows Update.

I would also consider theComodo firewall rather than the Windows firewall which is unidirectional.

I hesitate to suggest Ad-Aware 2008 as an alternative to Spybot for the reason noted above, but Windows Defender is better than nothing.

Of course they may not play nice with that box, but if you still have the time give the young lady all the protection she can get :)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/05/26

Pete, thanks for the info. I will check those out this morning. Jim is not picking up the computer until about 6:00p.m. tonight so I have lots of time. I thought Defender was part of SP3 but cant find it anywhere - I am sure I am not looking in the right place.....

Mitch

5. 2008/05/26
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Defender is included in Vista, but not in XP SP3.

6. 2008/05/26
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Hi Mitch

I agree!

Yeah we have to stop somewhere.

Since Spybot is its only issue then we already have Adaware 2008 and MalwareBytes Anti malware plus the Hostman blocks.

I think we do have a conflict with some system file that effects SpyBot or the switch of motherboards from Intel to AMD is the issue.

Get Spyware blaster and get it back to them. You will want to clean up all the tools we used on the desktop use Erunt registry optimizer, and defrag the disk also.

Good luck!

Mike

7. 2008/05/26

Computer is gone

The computer is on its way to its new owner with the following

Avira
    Espyads
    Spywareblaster - Jim will pay for the updates
    MVPS Hosts - already on system. Minor problem with Hostman - it blocks Myspace.com and its associated pages. I found this out yesterday when my daughter wanted to get on the computer for a while and couldn't get on myspace. I checked the host file and sure enough myspace.com was listed as a redirect. Not quite ideal for someone who is going to be spending lots of time on myspace.

I'll let Jim decide on the firewall. Comodo might be too complicated for her to manage so gave him Comodo and Sygate (i know it is old and no longer supported but i use it on mine and it does its job. I check it at grc.com now and again just to ensure still working right.

Thanks again for all your help.

Jim extends his thanks.

Wish we had more time with it. I am sure you folks would have licked this thing.

Mitch