1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Solved Annoying pop ups

Discussion in 'Malware and Virus Removal Archive' started by jamon08, 2007/09/08.

1. 2007/09/30
    jamon08

jamon08 Inactive Thread Starter

Cannot see the datuser.file from admin or fulas account in safe mode :confused:

Jae

2. 2007/09/30
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

You have to set Windows to show hidden files. While on the Admin account, open any Explorer window, click Tools on the menu, then Folder Options. Select the View tab, then select the entry to show hidden files and folders. OK out.

ntuser.dat is the file you want.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/09/30
    jamon08

Still will not show hidden files, go back to see if "show hidden files and folders" is still checked and it has been unchecked, so checked it again, hit apply, hit ok, go back out of window, then come back in and still no ntuser.dat file. "show hidden files and folders" is unchecked again

Jae

5. 2007/09/30
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Highlight and copy the contents of the quote box below to a blank notepad. Save it to Local Disk C: as;

Filename: gather.bat
    Save as type: All Files (*.*)

Logon to the Admin account in safe mode, open C: and double click gather.bat to run it. It will run quickly and close. It will also make the folder C:\ntdad and place a copy of ntuser.dat in the folder. Verify that has happened and boot back to normal mode. Attach C:\ntdad\ntuser.dat to an email to me.

6. 2007/09/30
    jamon08

Hi

ntdad folder is empty

Jae

7. 2007/09/30
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

That's odd :confused:

Do you still have the Tamariki account? And does it work properly? We can use the ntuser.dat file from there too. Heck, we could even use the one from Admin folder. :cool:

8. 2007/09/30
    jamon08

Nah sori, I deleted that long time ago, thats how this all come about, it was that account that was playing up after Geri killed my malware. I deleted it and then tried to create others, but all had the same issues. The only account that is working ok is DAD.

Jae

9. 2007/09/30
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

OK, we'll go at this from another direction ....... right through the front door! Open the registry editor and click the HKEY_CURRENT_USER heading once to select it. Now right click it and select Export. Save it as HKCU.hiv in Local Disk C: and change the Save As Type to Registry Hive Files (*.*) It's going to put a bit of a load on the system when you click Save, so just be patient and wait for it to finish.

Now go to Local Disk C: and right click the HKCU.hiv file then Send To>Compressed (zipped) Folder. Send me the HKCU.zip it creates.

10. 2007/09/30
    jamon08

You cracked it dude !!
    Huuraahhh !! :D
    Meanest skillzz !! :cool:
    Thanx Man !!
    Anything else to do ?
    Jae

11. 2007/09/30
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

I take it the file I sent works? Programs? Internet? Everything?

12. 2007/10/01
    jamon08

Yup,

Internet
    Wmp
    Word

All sweet ! :)

One more question ...

This error was present before I hooked up with BBS, When I leave my account by switching user and I'm am on the internet and connected, everytime I come back in, my page won't refresh and email comes up with a connection error, so I have to dissconnect and reconnect to get going again.
    Any idea what's doing this ?
    Jae

13. 2007/10/01
    jamon08

Hi Dave,
    After logging out of the account and logging back in, I noticed it did not save some of the settings.The internet is bung yet it worked sweet when I checked it after the fix. It still has desktop picture, but it wont let me remove item from start menu and a couple of other random things too.
    Jae

14. 2007/10/01
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Hi Jae,

I think you should run a disk check. Open a command prompt, then type chkdsk /r and hit enter. You should get a message that the volume is in use and chkdsk cannot run, would you like to schedule it to run on the next startup. Answer Yes and restart the computer.

Pay attention to and note any information regarding errors when it runs and let me know.

15. 2007/10/01
    jamon08

It came up "No errors found" mind you it didn't give me much of a chance to read further, but I caught that bit.
    Jae

16. 2007/10/01
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Highlight and copy the contents of the quote box below to a blank notepad. Save it to the desktop as;

Filename: directs.bat
    Save as type: All Files (*.*)

Double click directs.bat to run it. It will create directs.txt on the desktop. Attach directs.txt to an email to me.

Grab a copy of the current c:\documents and settings\fulas\ntuser.dat file and send it to me also. I want to compare it with the one I sent you.

Now, replace the current fulas ntuser.dat file with the one I sent and see if everything works again when you logon to that account.

17. 2007/10/02
    jamon08

Hi Dave,
    I saved the ntuser.dat file. Internet seems to be working again, still switches back to classic from Xp views after logging out then back in, still shows commands on start menu after checking them not too. Thats just what I noticed.
    I must mention that I changed the user name on the fulas account, the first time I saved your ntuser.dat file, I don't know if that caused any problems, re internet to fail ?
    Cheers
    Jae

18. 2007/10/02
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Change the name? How? When ......... after booting up with the dat file I sent? It could well have been that, if registry changes are not being properly applied, which it sounds as though they aren't. We may need to do some checks on the permisssions.

So, the dat file I sent loads in the Windows Classic theme? And despite changing it to XP theme while logged on, it reverts to Classic after log off?

I'm going to be looking over the files you sent last night shortly. ;)

19. 2007/10/02
    jamon08

After saving the file you sent me the first time and testing it to be Ok, I logged off and changed the name in control panel /user accounts, whilst I was logged into my account. When you say booting, all I did was save the file to documents and Setting/fulas and logged straight on to test.

Yup

Cheers

Jae

20. 2007/10/02
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Thanks.

Can I assume you have changed it back to Fulas and left it now?

21. 2007/10/02
    jamon08

Yup, it's back to fulas.
    I didn't think it would do any harm till it started playing up, then I thought I better mention the name change just incase they were linked.
    Sori
    Jae