1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Add Folders to right side of Start Menu

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kevinjustine, 2011/01/21.

1. 2011/01/28
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

My guess is that Arie is right. I had a look at the software on their site. It doesn't list all the tweaks available for System Tweaker but I see there's "restore to Windows default" button on the tweaks page of the program. I'd start by trying that. Then reboot and see if things are back to the way they should be.

If that doesn't do it, I see that Registry Booster has some sort of restore feature. I'd try using that to undo what the program did when you used it.

I don't think anybody is saying either of the programs is good or bad. It's just that sometimes these types of programs can cause problems like this if you aren't careful and just let the program do what it wants to do. This is especially true for any registry cleaner program. They can cause headaches if you aren't careful. ;)

2. 2011/01/29
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I will add Broni, our Malware Analyst's guidance on Registry Cleaners, with which I agree 100% .....

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/01/29
    kevinjustine

kevinjustine Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Pete, I appreciate the insight you and your references gave me! I wish I stated my intent in this forum before I purchased Uniblue. I have removed it from my system.

Again THANKS

KOD

5. 2011/01/30
    kevinjustine

Well Guys I have done the research, and learned more than I ever believe I would or could know. I tried the different options you suggested, and found out the numbers of typos you can make is limitless. I looked at the option of using a DVD to recreate the registry. It told how to do it from the D drive, but I don't feel safe doing it that way. Nobody I know is using Win 7. They are all using XP or Vista. How can I get a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit?

THANKS

KOD

6. 2011/01/30
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

What PC do you have? it may be possible to get restore discs from the manufacturer which will include all the drivers for your system. If not, you will have to buy a copy of your OS and download all the drivers for you PC, if you are going to do a re-installation.

7. 2011/01/30
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

If your computer is OEM (Dell, HP ... ) there may well be a Recovery Partition to restore the computer to the 'as delivered' state. Look in your manual.

If so back up all your data and use the Recovery facility.

8. 2011/02/02
    kevinjustine

I'm throwing in the towel and going to the vendor to get a copy of the operating system. I really would like to thank each and every one you who contributed, Arie, Markmadras, Pete, Steve, and Zander, to resolving my problem. I hope I didn't leave someone out. If I did I apologies. I have been involved with "computers" since 1960 and have never run across a group of people so willing to help.

I know I did something to ***** up the system. I've got to step back and re-build my system. I dread that.

I have a "couple" of questions before I close this thread. I know they don't fit under the original topic, but you will forgive me. I HOPE.
    1. Is there any way I can place desk top applications into a folder?
    2. Where/how can I get a Desktop Icon lock?
    3. Is this right forum to pursue Office 2007 questions? My Deleted folder
    says I have over 3000 deleted e-mails, but I can not locate them.

KOD

9. 2011/02/02
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

A folder on the Desktop? Yes - right click on a space on the Desktop > New > Folder and drag the desktop application icons you require into that folder.
    Do you mean a means of locking the desktop icons into place? Generally speaking the icons will stay where you put them unless you change the screen resolution. If you right click on the Desktop > View > Align icons to grid - this is the best choice and enables you to place the icons where you want them. Once rearranged I always click on right click on desktop > Refresh. This seems to do the trick.

As insurance I keep an up to date snip of the desktop to remind me where the icons should be:)
    No - for Outlook please use the Microsoft Mail forum.

10. 2011/02/02
    kevinjustine

Pete, thanks. I have learned an awful over the last week or so. I hope I remember it for when I need the information in the future. I appreciate the answers for my last three, questions. How should I show my issue as closed?

Kevin

11. 2011/02/02
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

Another happy ending:)

To mark the thread as resolved click on the Thread Tools tab in the top right hand corner of the first post and click on Resolved.

12. 2011/02/03
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

You're Welcome, Kevin :)