1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Add Folders to right side of Start Menu

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kevinjustine, 2011/01/21.

1. 2011/01/21
    kevinjustine

kevinjustine Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit system. I have no idea what I did, but I lost folders from the right hand side of the Start Menu. I have been researching solutions for this problem, but all the solutions I have found are well beyond my level of PC understanding. Would somebody give me a simple (?) and detailed set of directions to fix my problem de jour.

KOD

P.S. I was a having problem with play DVDs and other "motion" type functions. Another miracle has occurred and that problem is fixed. . .

2. 2011/01/21
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Right click on the Taskbar->Properties->Startmenu tab->CUSTOMIZE

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/01/21
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

Right click on the task bar and select properties. In the window that opens click the start menu tab and then click customize. Look in the list for the folders that are missing and if there isn't a check in the box next to them, put check is the boxes of the ones you want. When you're done, click OK and then click apply.

5. 2011/01/22
    kevinjustine

When I said Folders I mis-spoke. I should have said Short Cuts. Both, Control Panel and Devices and Printers went away. I want to put both back in the right side of the Start Menu. I have some other short cuts I would like to add

KOD.

6. 2011/01/22
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

The guidance Zander gave you is spot on - follow it to the letter and see screenshot below ....

Attached Files:

7. 2011/01/23
    kevinjustine

Pete, thanks for the thumbnail. I compared that to my Customize Start Menu. I found three items missing from mine: Control Panel, Devices and Printers, and Default Programs. Now I know why I couldn't understand it. Zander, your answer just became a whole lot clearer. What can I do to recover the three missing functions?

Thanks guys!

KOD
    :

8. 2011/01/23
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I suspect your registry is missing certain entries.

With the level of Computer experience that you post I am very reluctant to post a possible soultion as this requires editing the Registry which should only be done by experienced users.

At the same time I am not at all sure that adding the 'missing' registry entries to show those items would solve the problem as the items are not listed in the Customize window.

Let's see if some one else comes up with a safer method :)

9. 2011/01/23
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

Just an idea, try creating a new user account and see if the items return to the list.

Control Panel > User Accounts > Manage Another Account > Create New Account > Select Administrator > Enter a name in the box and click on Create Account.

Reboot and sign in under the new name.

10. 2011/01/24
    kevinjustine

Markmadras, I created a new user and I'm sorry to say it didn't work. The Customize list is missing the same items. I don't know if this is significant, but all my applications appeared on the new user desktop.

KOD

11. 2011/01/24
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

If they were installed for 'All Users' that is to be expected.

12. 2011/01/24
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

OK, lets think of something else, may be system restore will do it, have you a restore point that might take you back before the items went missing.

If that doesn't work or you don't have the restore points a repair install might do it, if that doesn't work then you may need to go as far as a clean install to get the menu back to normal.

I have not come across any conclusive information relating to items missing in the Customize list so it is obviously a rare problem. Have you any idea how these items may have been deleted from the registry. Malware, incompatible software, a bad registry cleaner or a defective hard drive could have caused the problem (to name but a few), can you relate anything to the time when you first noticed that the items were missing from the menu. Have you used any kind of tweaking software?

Did you try the "Use Default Settings" at the bottom of the "Customize" pane?

13. 2011/01/26
    kevinjustine

Markmadras, I have had this problem for more than a month. Because of other issues I didn't pursue this problem. I did Use Default Settings, and nothing changed. My Restore Points don't go back far enough. I don't know what a "repair install" is. How do I run a "repair install? "I have no idea how they were lost. I've been running Uniblue SystemTweeker since I noticed the loss from the Start Menu.

KOD

14. 2011/01/27
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

This link will show you how to run a Repair Install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

This should hopefully replace the missing registry entries and put the folders back in place. If it doesn't work the next best option is a clean install but that will clean everything else off your hard drive.

Last edited: 2011/01/27
  15. 2011/01/27
    kevinjustine

I've been running Uniblue RegistryBooster with SystemTweeker for about six weeks. I did go to the link you suggested, downloaded and ran Uniblue RegistryBooster. There were no change to the Start Menu. I had another update fail. The 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 2 (SP 2) failed and doesn't appear to have been re-tried. If I really need to do a System Restore I only have one question, I think. How do I save ALL my e-mail? In the past I lost my Deleted mail and some other mail.

Markmadras, Pete, and Zander I really appreciate your attempts to save my butt.

THANKS

KOD

16. 2011/01/27
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

So did you just download and run the Registry Booster (not recommended) or did you go through the instructions to do A Repair Install of windows 7.

17. 2011/01/27
    kevinjustine

As usual I didn't read past the first download. . . . I have a problem I do not have a Windows 7 DVD. Reading further I didn't see an option for running off the D drive.

18. 2011/01/27
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

You can run the repair install on any drive.

As you have no disc then I assume the pc was purchased with windows 7 preinstalled.

Do you have recovery discs or a recovery partition?

If you have neither you have little choice other than borrowing a disc or buying one. If you do have one or the other you will be able to do a recovery installation but that will clear everything off your hard drive returning the pc to the state it was in when new.

A borrowed disc must match the version of your installed OS and be the same or higher Service Pack level. If all you can get is the same version but lower Service Pack level you can make you own copy with the Service Pack added to it. I'll supply instruction if required.

Have a look at this guide for fixing the missing menu items, it is fairly advanced and if you are going to take it on make sure you back up your registry before hand so if it goes wrong you can recover from any mistakes.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/265-start-menu-customize.html

This will show you how to back up the registry.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/4230-registry-backup-restore.html

It's your call:)

Last edited: 2011/01/27
  19. 2011/01/28
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Well, that's where your problem lies. You'll have (inadvertently) disabled the items from your start menu, so I suggest you reset them using the program.

20. 2011/01/28
    kevinjustine

[FONT= "Verdana"][/FONT]Arie:
    1. Why is running Uniblue RegistryBooster with SystemTweeker a problem?
    2. Should I not use Unible and Tweeker?
    3. Should I not use one of them? If so which one?
    4. Or should I note use either of them?

You also suggest I "reset them using the program." What program is it I should run? Is it the program that Markmadras suggests, http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/265-start-menu-customize.html?

KOD

21. 2011/01/28
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

I have never used SystemTweaker but I think what Arie is suggesting is that you deleted the menu items by mistake. Both this program and Uniblue RegistryBooster can cause problems if you are not carefull with how you use them. Arie is suggesting that you use the Tweaker to reset the menu.

The link I gave to fix your problems describes an in depth registry edit that should bring back the menu entries that you have lost. It is not a program, it uses facilities that are built into windows. I should have added in that post that the credit goes to PeteC for finding this guide.

Last edited: 2011/01/28