1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved ActiveX Not Working - Tried Everything

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by Angstromm, 2010/09/18.

1. 2010/09/18
    Angstromm

Angstromm Inactive Thread Starter

OK, fixed the sucker! Found a fix on a DEP msdn forum. Here's the link.

And here's the fix:

The solution to the problem is to uncheck the security feature "Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks" and then no problems occur.

Local Administrators can control DEP/NX by running Internet Explorer as an Administrator and unchecking the Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Security (scroll toward the bottom) and uncheck "Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks" option. "
    For details see http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/04/08/ie8-security-part-I_3A00_-dep-nx-memory-protection.aspx

So, there you have it! Again, thanks for such speedy responses!

ActiveX isn’t working on my system, period (see specs below)—I’ve gone to the PC Pitstop site and run their test and IE freezes—no, I can’t access the Info Bar and install control. I get an error message (see at bottom) and I have to kill IE via Win Task Manager. Even when I logon to Windows Update site and attempt to run the Upgrade to Microsoft Update (where all MS products, like Office, get updated at once), I get a "This tab has been recovered" message followed by "We were unable to return you to microsoft.com" error. No further info is provided.

In Firefox, simply get "ActiveX is not supported" on the PC Pitstop test page.

I’ve tried everything I can think of:
    • disabling firewall and antivirus software
    • going back as far as I can via Win. Restore
    • un-/re-installing IE & Firefox
    • reading a ton of stuff in forums, on MS Support, etc.
    • went to Microsoft Internet Explorer - windows IE activex and tried all that business
    • under C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files there aren’t any objects listed (empty)
    • checked my IE settings against this page: http://www.pcpitstop.com/faq/security.asp
    • and checked IE settings against those displayed in a post on this site
    • witt’s end!
    All ideas/notions/permutations welcome! I’m to the point where I’m considering a fresh install (I just finished, supposedly, doing that). Sheesh!!!

IE Error Message:
    iexplore.exe "“ Application Error
    The instruction at "0x08470068" referenced memory at "0x08470068â€. The memory could not be "writtenâ€.

Config:
    IE 8 (latest updates)
    Firefox 3.6.10 (latest updates)
    Windows XP Pro, SP 3 (everything up-to-date)
    Acer Ferrari 4005 (all the latest drives)

Last edited: 2010/09/19
  2. 2010/09/19
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/09/19
    Angstromm

Wow, thanks for the speedy reply. I've done that using two different malware scanners; and my antivirus has malware scanning built in and I've done a full-system scan.

5. 2010/09/19
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

Well, I can do the same & have hardly any idea what I'm looking at, so I suggest having the experts take a look.

My only suggestion else would be a format & reinstall so....

6. 2010/09/19
    Angstromm

Thanks for the speedy reply! I did as you instructed and posted the results of DDS in the Malware section. I should say, though, that I've run scans already (w/ Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Ad-Aware as well as a full-system scan w/ AVG) and the system came up clean--no infections found by any of these apps (all full-system scans, btw).

7. 2010/09/19
    Angstromm

Sorry for the double post--the first one didn't appear after Ctrl/F5 so I figured I messed up and reposted.

Yeah, I'm moving in that direction (format/reinstall). Very custom installation and DAYS worth of work. Ouch!!! And I was just going to do a disk clone when this problem arose. Sheesh... :(

8. 2010/09/19
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Please do not edit your initial post with the solution those following the thread tend to look only at posts made since their last visit - make a new post

9. 2010/09/19
    Angstromm

Oh, sorry, that makes sense...corrected.

10. 2010/09/19
    Angstromm

OK, fixed the sucker! Found a fix on a DEP msdn forum. Here's the link.

And here's the fix:

The solution to the problem is to uncheck the security feature "Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks" and then no problems occur.

Local Administrators can control DEP/NX by running Internet Explorer as an Administrator and unchecking the Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Security (scroll toward the bottom) and uncheck “Enable memory protection to help mitigate online attacks” option. "
    For details see http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...rotection.aspx

So, there you have it! Again, thanks for such speedy responses!

Last edited: 2010/09/19