Terms of Service and Rules
The providers ("WindowsBBS.com", "we", "us") of the service provided by this web site ("Service") are not responsible for any user-generated content and accounts ("Content"). Content submitted express the views of their author only.
You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws.
All Content you submit or upload may be reviewed by staff members. All Content you submit or upload may be sent to third-party verification services (including, but not limited to, spam prevention services). Do not submit any Content that you consider to be private or confidential.
We reserve the rights to remove or modify any Content submitted for any reason without explanation. Requests for Content to be removed or modified will be undertaken only at our discretion. We reserve the right to take action against any account with the Service at any time.
We reserve the right to close or delete any thread, post or account that we deem unacceptable for any reason, regardless of whether such thread, post or account violates a specific rule or rules. Keep in mind that our goal is to provide useful technical support in a friendly atmosphere. If you have any questions, contact us using the link at the bottom of this page.
You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content.
These terms may be changed at any time without notice.
If you do not agree with these terms, please do not register or use this Service. If you wish to close your account, please contact us.
NOTE: Use of this site and any information contained within it indicates your acceptance of our policies.
Forum Rules for WindowsBBS.com
The following are the rules and guidelines for using the WindowsBBS.com forum. This list was designed merely to give users an idea as to what is acceptable and what is not. This list is just a guideline; the Moderators & Administrator have the final word. This is not a public place, you asked us to join to be able to post your questions/opinion, and we just ask you to abide by our rules.
Why we have these rules
The posting rules are in place to improve our forum. By following the rules, you will make a good contribution to WindowsBBS. For example, when a post has a good subject that summarizes your problem with a few key words, chances are that you'll get a faster reply. Also, if someone later has a similar problem, and he uses a search engine (either on the Internet, or here on our own site), he can quickly see from the subject that the message you posted will probably be relevant to him. For search engines, the title is one of the most important parts of your posts. So before you post, think about a good title!
Being a member of WindowsBBS is not a right, it's a privilege and we expect you to follow our rules. The TOS/Guidelines of this website governs the behaviors and activities of the members. If you choose not to follow the guidelines agreed to during registration, the result is a disabling of your account.
General Posting Rules (Etiquette)
Keep your posts understandable - Please keep your posts readable. Use punctuation marks & paragraphs. Use a spell checker! Give as much information about error messages as possible: the devil is in the details! Respect copyrights and use capitalization correctly. Use punctuation and contractions correctly (no !!!!!!!! or Ill and Im). This is not Messenger nor chat, so don't post like you do when chatting with your friends!
Be courteous - Respect others. Argue with the post, not the poster. While we certainly don't discourage productive and useful debate relating to a particular topic at issue, posts that are made in a nonproductive or inflammatory manner are not permitted.
What to ask yourself before you hit the post button
- Have you reread your posts? Many times you will find small errors when you reread your posts. Some of these errors involve our rules.
- Are you contributing? If you are posting a question, did you provide information for us to help you? If you are posting a response, do you add something else to the discussion?
- If you are posting a question, has it already been answered? Try using the search feature to save everyone some time. Also try checking "sticky" topics, and our website.
- Will this post offend somebody? If it might, you should not post it. Offendable posts can be anything from insults and flaming to profanity and graphic or explicit posts.
- Is this in the correct forum? We have multiple forums for a reason - they organize the discussion.
- Is this in the correct topic? Is what you are posting in the current line of discussion?
- Does your post violate any of our other rules? If it does, do not post it.
- Have you posted this elsewhere today? "Post-whoring" is making an unneeded amount of posts at one time - do not post more than is necessary.
Specific Forum Rules
- Use the Search function - Before you ask a question use the search function of the forum to see if the question you want to ask has been addressed before - many have been! You find a link to the search function at the top.
- Posting in appropriate forum - We ask that you select the forum most appropriate for you post. For example, if your question is dealing with 3rd party software (MS Office, Lotus, Games, etc.) do not simply post it in a Windows forum just because your operating system is using that version of Windows. These questions belong in the "Other Software" forum. Only post the same topic in 1 forum only - Cross posting isn't allowed.
- Meaningful Subject - Please use a subject of a few words describing your question/problem. "Need Help!!!!" is not meaningful, and a lot of people won't even read your post in the first place! Please do not add Please Help, URGENT, Help Needed etc. It's obvious; Windows BBS is a place to get help. If your problem is urgent, contact Microsoft support, or your favorite computer technician! We're all volunteers here, and do this in our spare time.
- Misuse of BB Code - Overuse or misuse of BB Codes may be held as an offense at the Moderators discretion. This would include particularly annoying, large, flashing, or otherwise unnecessary overuse of such special features.
- Missing or Invalid Passwords or Product Keys * - We follow Microsoft's Policy regarding missing or invalid passwords here; meaning that we can't help you, and don't want this information to be posted here. This also applies to Content Advisor Configuration Information and Product Keys.
- Crude or Rude Language - Uncivilized and offensive language (especially cursing of any sort), used anywhere on the board, including your user name, is completely unacceptable.
- Deception - You will post no messages, links, or other content which is knowingly false, misleading, discrediting or purposefully inaccurate.
- Spam/Advertising - There is a zero tolerance policy in regards to spam on WindowsBBS.com. This includes all commercial links placed anywhere during your access of our site. There are no exceptions to this policy.
- Multiple Accounts - The creation of multiple accounts by the same person is not permitted. Doing so will reult in all your accounts being closed.
- Irrelevant and/or Inflammatory Postings - While we certainly don't discourage productive and useful debate relating to a particular topic at issue, posts that are made in a nonproductive or inflammatory manner are not permitted.
- Other Illegal Activities * - As you might expect, we don't want anything illegal going on here. Users cannot post hacks, cracks, pirated software, registration keys, or anything of the like.
Help the community: By getting support for a problem, you're also helping other people with a similar problem. They can read your conversation and all replies. To help the community:
- If you find the solution yourself, please tell us what you did to solve the problem. Don't just say "I fixed it. Goodbye".
- Don't ask to get the solution sent to you privately (E-Mail or otherwise). All conversations are posted on the forums.
Generally an offense of rules 1-7 will result in a warning. If a user has been warned on more than 1 occasion, his/her posting rights could be revoked.
Offenses of rules 8-11 will in most cases lead to an immediate revocation of posting rights.
* We have no way to determine if you are the legal owner of a piece of software/hardware, so do not ask any questions about circumventing passwords/security that you might have lost/forgotten. And NO we can't take your word for it.
"Anonymous Information" means information that cannot be traced back to you as a specific individual. We record standard web log information: cookies, referrer IDs, IP addresses and system information. None of this information identifies you personally -- it is anonymous - and will never be combined or linked to any Personal Information.
Like many other Web sites, WindowsBBS.com makes use of log files. The information inside the log files includes internet protocol (IP) addresses, type of browser, Internet Service Provider (ISP), date/time stamp, referring/exit pages, and number of clicks to analyze trends, administer the site, track users movement around the site, and gather demographic information. IP addresses and other such information are not linked to any information that is personally identifiable.
Personally identifiable information
"Personally identifiable information" is non-anonymous information such as your name, phone number, credit card information, address or email address -anything that could identify you personally.
Visitors to our Web sites are not required to provide personally identifiable information to use our site or services.
There are only a few cases in which we receive names, email addresses, or other information that identifies you personally. They are:
- You have to provide your email address in order to be able to post messages to our Forum.
- Your name and email address and any additional information you volunteer when purchasing a subscription for our Forum, or when you contact us by email.
This information will not be shared, or resold, to any other company without your explicit consent.
Cookies and Web Beacons
WindowsBBS.com has no access to or control over these cookies that are used by third-party advertisers.
You can choose to disable or selectively turn off our cookies or third-party cookies in your browser settings, or by managing preferences in programs such as Norton Internet Security. However, this can affect how you are able to interact with our site as well as other websites. This could include the inability to login to services or programs, such as logging into our forums.
Deleting cookies does not mean you are permanently opted out of any advertising program. Unless you have settings that disallow cookies, the next time you visit a site running the advertisements, a new cookie will be added.
Note: Cookies are required to verify membership of the site (which enables you to access your account, post messages or reply to them). Our system places a cookie on your device so we know the user has logged into the site.
We use the AdWords and Remarketing features of Google Analytics for Display Advertisers. WindowsBBS.com and Google use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookie) and third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie) together to inform, optimize, and serve ads based on your past visits to WindowsBBS.com.
You may opt-out of Google Analytics for Display Advertisers including AdWords and opt-out of customized Google Display Network ads by visiting the Google Ads Preferences Manager. To provide web site visitors more choice on how their data is collected by Google Analytics, Google has developed an Opt-out Browser add-on, which is available by visiting Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on, to enable you to opt-out of Google's programs.
DoubleClick DART Cookies
We also may use DART cookies for ad serving through Google's DoubleClick, which places a cookie on your computer when you are browsing the web and visit a site using DoubleClick advertising (including some Google AdSense advertisements). This cookie is used to serve ads specific to you and your interests ("interest based targeting"). The ads served will be targeted based on your previous browsing history (For example, if you have been viewing sites about travel, you may see travel related advertisements when viewing a site not related to travel, such as on a news site). DART uses "non personally identifiable information". It does NOT track personal information about you, such as your name, email address, physical address, telephone number, social security numbers, bank account numbers or credit card numbers. You can opt-out of this ad serving on all sites using this advertising by visiting http://www.doubleclick.com/privacy/dart_adserving.aspx.
3rd Party Advertisers
We use third-party companies to serve ads and collect non-personally identifiable information (e.g., the pages you visit, and which links you click, which ads you see and click on, and the categories of search terms you enter) when you visit our web site. These companies may use the information outlined above (which does not include your name, address, email address or telephone number) about your visits to this and other web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. These companies often use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.
California Online Privacy Protection Act Compliance (COPPAC)
Because we value your privacy we have taken the necessary precautions to be in compliance with the California Online Privacy Protection Act. We therefore will not distribute your personal information to outside parties without your consent.
As part of the California Online Privacy Protection Act, all users of our site may make any changes to their information at any time by logging into their control panel and going to the 'Edit Profile' page.
Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act Compliance (COPPA)
We are in compliance with the requirements of COPPA (Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act), we do not collect any information from anyone under 13 years of age. Our website, products and services are all directed to people who are at least 13 years old or older.
Information We Collect and Use
When we (or our advertising partners) display online advertisements to you, one or more persistent cookies may be placed on your computer or device in order to recognize your computer or device each time an ad is displayed to you. The information collected includes, but may not be limited to, your computer's or device's IP address, the served cookie IDs, browser type and language, operating system, website URLs, the specific ad posted on the site, and the date and time of delivery. If you click on the advertisement, we (or our advertising partners) will also collect and store that action.
We (or our advertising partners) may also place web beacons (also called action tags or clear gifs) on our site and in the advertisements we deliver, We may also include Web beacons in promotional e-mail messages or newsletters in order to determine whether messages have been opened and acted upon. Our beacons allow us to place or read our cookies and gather information about your subsequent visit, purchase or other activity on our site and on the advertisers' Web sites. We and our advertising partners may use this information to determine the effectiveness of the advertisements and to show you ads based on your previous interactions with the site where the beacon is placed.
The information we collect when you register an account with us is used to improve the content of our Web site, used to notify you about updates to our forum, and solicit advertisers. E-mail addresses are not shared with other organizations for commercial purposes.
We will disclose your personal information, without notice, only if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to: (a) conform to the edicts of the law or comply with legal process served on us or the site; (b) protect and defend the rights or property of us and our Web site(s); and, (c) act under exigent circumstances to protect the personal safety of our users, our web sites, or the public.
Changes to our policies
If we decide to change these policies, we will update the modification date below.
This policy was last modified on:
If you do not agree with these terms, please do not register or use this Service. If you wish to close your account, please contact us.
Contacting this Web Site
Our postal address is:
FDMA Media LLC-RRD.PB
1250 Valley Brook Ave #102
Lyndhurst, NJ 07071
We can be reached via the "Contact Us" link below.