1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Lost some of my audio, sound card is okay

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ranatlas, 2015/08/02.

1. 2015/08/27
    ranatlas

ranatlas Inactive Thread Starter

P.S. to my last message:

Oops, I'm a little embarrassed because I haven't actually run the diagnostic tool for my Samsung HDD yet. After I shut down my PC and rebooted, I forgot that the CD was still in my PC and the tool appeared on my monitor. I started to run it, and I realized that it was going to take a long time to finish. So I escaped out of it and came back here to let y'all know what's going on. I will start it again and post the result(s) at a later time. Thanks for being so patient with me!

Randy

2. 2015/08/27
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Last edited: 2015/08/27

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/08/28
    ranatlas

All tests passed - no errors on my HDD.

5. 2015/08/28
    ranatlas

6. 2015/09/01
    ranatlas

Sorry to say this didn't work for me. Thanks anyway, ELL JAY 50.

Today I noticed another problem with my PC and I think it doesn't have to do with my audio problem, because I'm pretty sure that it just started today. I will start another thread about it, so as not to get off-topic here. All I will say here for now is that it has to do with the contents of my Recycle Bin. I'm scanning my PC for viruses, malware, etc. because I suspect something very strange is going on.

Thanks everyone,
    Randy

7. 2015/09/01
    ranatlas

Recycle Bin has way too many files in it

Hello all,

My name is Randy and I am starting this thread about a problem that I believe just started happening today. As the title of this thread states, my Recycle Bin has way too many files in it. I know that I did not delete them. Most, or many of the files are System Application files or Extension files. The Original Location of ALL of these files is C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache.

For approx. the past month, I have been experiencing problems with the audio on my PC.
    In a nutshell, I lost all of my Windows sounds (such as startup, shut down, etc.) and I do not hear audio when I'm on the web and the audio is associated with a video (examples: YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook). My speakers work fine; I can play CDs using iTunes and various media players on my PC.

I started another thread in this Forum about the problem with my sound, but I thought I would start another thread about this Recycle Bin matter. Perhaps the two matters are related? I have no clue.

I have tried numerous possible fixes for the audio issues, many of which were suggested by moderators/members of this Forum, and I am very grateful for all their attempts to help me.

Currently I am scanning my computer for viruses, malware, etc. I suspect something serious is going on. It's very frustrating because up until now, I haven't had any issues with this PC -- with the exception of a HDD crash several years ago. (A new one was installed by a computer tech and all of my documents were recovered.)

I scanned my HDD using a Samsung utility, a few days ago, and no errors were found.

Previous virus/malware scans (over the past few weeks) showed no threats.

It may be time for a new computer... this one is almost 9 years old but I have been babying it for a long time. In the meantime.......

Can someone *please* help me??? :(

Thanks,
    Randy

8. 2015/09/01
    ranatlas

PS - Hmm, perhaps the two issues are related? I just noticed that *all* of the files in my Recycle Bin were originally in the location, C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache. Most of the files are System Application files or Extension files. There must be a couple hundred files in there.

I started another thread anyway.

Thanks,
    Randy

Last edited: 2015/09/01
  9. 2015/09/01
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Randy. If those files mysteriously ended up in the recycle bin and you do not delete them then why not restore those files?

I read through your other thread and you definitely have many issues that are associated with missing system files causing Windows Media Player and other system functions to not work properly.

I would advise before going any further with either of your threads that you do a full malware check of your system.

Please read this and post the requested logs in the Malware and Virus Removal Forum.

Once the computer is declared clean, post back in this thread with an update on the issue.

10. 2015/09/01
    ranatlas

Thanks for the reply, Evan Omo. Before I saw your post, I ran Spybot - Search & Destroy and it found over 50 threats, which I have removed. I will check out the links you've provided and will post back with an update.

Also - I was going to ask if it would be safe to restore the files that are in the Recycle Bin. So based on your reply I will try that too. And Windows Media Player works fine now. It's just the Windows sounds (which I can live without) that are missing, plus the audio portion of videos on websites. If I really want to watch & hear a YouTube video, I can download it and play it back (audio and video) with a variety of media players on my PC.

Thanks again,
    Randy

Last edited: 2015/09/01
  11. 2015/09/01
    Evan Omo

I'll address those issues with the sound once your computer is declared clean from broni and you post back in this thread. :)

12. 2015/09/02
    ranatlas

For everyone's info: After starting my 2nd thread, called "Recycle Bin has way too many files in it ", I was advised by Evan Omo to post in the Malware and Virus Removal area only. The thread is called "Audio issues" and the link to that thread is: http://www.windowsbbs.com/malware-virus-removal/109781-audio-issues.html

So, I won't be posting here anymore -- at least not until my audio problem has been resolved (keeping fingers crossed).

Thanks once more. I appreciate everyone's attempts to help me!

Randy

Last edited: 2015/09/02
  13. 2015/09/06
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

My advice: follow the above advice!

My 2 cents:
    You likely have a rootkit infection granting access from a a remote host (a criminal). When someone has remote access they would likely disable sounds so as to not alert you that they were doing something.

14. 2015/09/06
    ranatlas

Tony T: broni has declared my computer clean.

Which advice are you referring to? Restoring the files that are in the Recyle Bin? I have done that. Have also done a full malware check of my system.

I still have the same sound issues. What should I try next?
    Thanks!

15. 2015/09/06
    Evan Omo

Lets try this method to repair your system:

1. Download the portable version of Windows Repair (All In One) from here, Windows Repair (All In One). (Make sure you have your computer running in a clean boot state BEFORE running repairs. If you need assistance with performing a clean boot then follow the instructions here, How to perform a clean boot in Windows)

2. Download the portable zipped folder to your desktop.

3. Extract the contents of the zipped folder, and then double click on the Repair_Windows.exe file to run the program.

4. After the program opens, click on the Step 3 tab and click the Do It button to have the program run Check Disk on the file system. Screenshot.

5. After the computer finishes running Check Disk, start the program again and proceed to Step 4.

6. Click on the Step 4 tab and click on the Do It button to allow the program to run the System File Checker to find and fix any corrupt Windows files. Screenshot.

7. After SFC finishes, proceed to the Step 5 tab.

8. On the Step 5 tab go ahead and create a new system restore point before starting the repair by clicking on the Create button under the System Restore area. Screenshot.

9. Once that is done click on the Start Repairs tab.

10. On the Start Repairs tab click on the Start button and select Run when prompted. Screenshot.

11. The Windows Repairs window will open. Now ensure that ONLY the checkboxes in the program are checked as indicated below:

Reset Registry Permissions
    Reset File Permissions
    Reset Service Permissions
    Register System Files
    Repair WMI
    Repair Windows Firewall
    Repair Internet Explorer
    Repair MDAV/MS Jet
    Repair Hosts Files
    Remove Policies Set By Infections
    Repair Start Menu Icons Removed by Infections
    Repair Icons
    Repair Winsock & DNS Cache
    Remove Temp Files
    Repair Proxy Settings
    Repair Windows Updates
    Set Windows Services to Default Startup
    Restore Important Windows Services
    Repair MSI (Windows Installer)

12. Then when those checkboxes are selected, click on the checkbox that says Restart System when Finished.

13. Now click on the Start button to start the repair process.

14. The process could take some time so please be patient.

15. After the repair process finishes, the computer will be rebooted.

16. See if there is any difference after performing the above steps.

16. 2015/09/07
    ranatlas

Re: Recycle Bin has way too many files in it

Dear Evan,

I followed your instructions to a T, but I still have the same audio issues.

A couple of notes:

1) When I got to Step 11 and was unchecking the boxes, there was no box to check for "Repair Winsock and DNS Cache ". I proceeded with the rest of the steps anyway.

2) During Repairs 7 and 17, I noticed the following error several times:
    "The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value ".

I'm not sure what to do from here. The title of this thread doesn't apply to my audio issues - because, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I did restore the files that were in the Recycle Bin. Should we consider this thread to be closed, and I will go back to the first thread that I started? (Lost some of my audio, sound card is okay)

By the way, broni was very helpful with his instructions which enabled my PC to become clean. He inspired me to make a donation to WindowsBBS.com ! I am grateful for everyone's attempts to help me. I realize this is quite a challenging problem!

Thanks,
    Randy

Last edited: 2015/09/07
  17. 2015/09/08
    Evan Omo

Alright I merged both of your threads as they were quite similar regarding the audio issues.

At this point, does your audio work if you watch videos on the Internet? If you click Start< Computer and navigate to C:\Windows\Media, are your Windows XP sounds located there?

18. 2015/09/08
    ranatlas

Evan,

My audio still does not work if I watch videos on the Internet. Windows XP sounds are still located in C:\Windows\Media.

My audio does work when I play CDs, play songs using iTunes, and when I use various media players to also play videos that I have downloaded from YouTube.

While trying to troubleshoot this problem (I don't remember at which points), I have encountered error messages that indicate that my computer doesn't "think" that I'm logged in as an Administrator, when indeed I am. I hope this helps in some way?

Thanks,
    Randy

19. 2015/09/09
    Evan Omo

Click Start< Right click My Computer and click on Properties. When the System Properties window opens click on the Hardware Tab and open Device Manager. Expand the audio devices category and double click on your audio device in Device Manager. Does the status show that it is working ok?

Verify that your default audio device is set to the correct device by following the instructions in this link, How to Change the Default Audio Device in Windows XP.

When finished use this link to restore the default Windows sounds scheme, How to restore default system sounds.

Also if you haven't yet, download the latest version of Adobe Flash Player from here, Adobe Flash Player. Make sure to uncheck any extra items as they are not needed before downloading the flash player installer.

20. 2015/09/09
    ranatlas

Hi Evan,

I have tried all of these possible solutions several times before, and I tried them again after reading your post -- but I am still without Windows sounds. My audio device (Realtech HD Audio) works fine, as I've mentioned before. My audio does work when I play CDs, when I play songs using iTunes, etc., and when I use various media players to also play videos that I have downloaded from YouTube.

Re: Adobe Flash Player -- I've installed and deleted and re-installed this several times and the problem with video (no audio associated with video) is always still there.

I don't mean to sound rude here, really -- I'm just frustrated and puzzled about all of this. And I do appreciate that you are trying to help me. :) I hope I haven't come across in a negative way here. Communication over the Internet can sometimes be misinterpreted, as I'm sure you know. It's just that I've searched high and low for solutions, but have gotten nowhere.

At least this is a relatively minor type of issue. Things could be a lot worse <knocking on wood> and I consider myself fortunate for this.

Thanks again and take care,
    Randy

21. 2015/09/09
    Evan Omo

I assume you have installed the latest Reatlek HD Audio driver correct?

In the Windows sounds tab on your audio device, if you click on the small play button in the window for some of the sounds do they play at all?

Have you tried creating a new administrator user account to see if the audio works under a different user account?