1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Lost some of my audio, sound card is okay

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ranatlas, 2015/08/02.

1. 2015/08/07
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Another thought - have you run sfc /scannow? Start > Run > Type sfc /scannow > enter and wait till it completes. Neil.

2. 2015/08/21
    ranatlas

ranatlas Inactive Thread Starter

Sorry, been away for awhile.

Neil - Thanks for the suggestion; I hadn't tried that. I'm trying it now and I'm getting a Windows File Protection message: "Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache. Insert your Windows XP Professional CD-ROM now. "
    I don't have a Windows XP Pro CD-ROM... it didn't come with my PC. I've made a couple of Win boot CDs over the years (one has a "mini XP" feature) but I don't think they would help in this situation?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/08/21
    ranatlas

P.S. - This could be a real long shot, but earlier today I created and burned a DVD... and right after the DVD was burned (using ImgBurn), Windows Media Player popped up (probably by default) and it had a message indicating that the disc won't play in WMP because I'm missing the proper codec. Neil - you had asked me approx. 2 weeks ago if I have the latest codecs. How would I know if I have them? As I mentioned earlier, I downloaded the latest version of K-Lite Codec Pack but that didn't help me. Also, do you happen to know what codec I need in order for a DVD to be played using WMP?

I guess I'm wondering if there could be some correlation here, between the missing codec for WMP and my audio problem? (no audio when associated with video) Remember, I can play audio using WMP. Just not video, so it seems.

Thanks,
    Randy

5. 2015/08/22
    retiredlearner

Hi Randy, Sorry to hear you're still trying to fix your XP. I had to search to find this link on how to use sfc /scannow when XP tells you put your disc in.
    "How to use the Scannow SFC tool in Windows XP" This was prepared by Marc Liron and I used this procedure very successfully many times. Neil.
    http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Last edited: 2015/08/22
  6. 2015/08/22
    ranatlas

Thanks, Neil. I will give this a try next.

I just noticed that you are located in New Zealand. I hope you're having a good afternoon!

Randy

7. 2015/08/24
    ranatlas

Neil,

I tried everything on that webpage about how to use sfc /scannow when XP tells you put your disc in, but unfortunately to no avail. Before I totally give up, I will ask (and modify) a few questions that I posted in message #23, regarding Codecs:

You had asked me approx. 2 weeks ago if I have the latest Codecs. How would I know if I have them? As I mentioned earlier, I downloaded the latest version of K-Lite Codec Pack but that didn't help me. Also, do you happen to know what Codec I need in order for a DVD to be played using Windows Media Player?

I guess I'm wondering if there could be some correlation between the missing Codec for Windows Media Player and my audio problem (no audio when associated with video)? I can play audio using WMP, but I can't play video.

Thanks very much for your time and your attempts to help me.

Randy

Last edited: 2015/08/24
  8. 2015/08/24
    retiredlearner

Hi Randy, Thanks for your thoughts on a good day. I can't understand why Marc Liron's comprehensive instructions didn't work for you as it covers ALL possibilities and has worked for me many times during the days of XP.
    Have a look at this link to FileHippo web site. This should show the large list of Codecs available and although I haven't used it - there is one specifically for use with WMP. This may be worth trying, failing that have you tried VLC which is also available to download from this link:
    http://filehippo.com/search?q=codecs Neil.

9. 2015/08/25
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

How To Disable Windows MediaPlayer

1.Click the "Start" button, then click "Control Panel. "

2.Click the "Add/Remove Programs" icon on the "Control Panel" page. Click the "Add/Remove Windows Components" icon in the shaded column on the left of the "Add/Remove Programs" page.

3.Use the scroll bar inside the box to find the Windows MediaPlayer listing. Click the check box next to the listing to remove the check mark inside it. Click the "Next" button to initialize deactivation/activation. A progress bar will show the process, and the dialog box will change appearance when it's completed. Click the "Finish" button to finalize the action. Restart Your computer. Then Enable WMP just follow the preceding procedure and put the check mark back in the box. No sound in YouTube check to see if there's an X next to the Volume Speaker Icon if so click on the Volume Speaker Icon to remove the X.

Last edited: 2015/08/25
  10. 2015/08/25
    mmullen2

mmullen2 Well-Known Member

I attached msacm32 but had to change the extension to txt. When you get it change back to drv. Hope it works for you.

Attached Files:

11. 2015/08/25

Read this article but do not download anything from the website just read. : What is msacm32.drv

12. 2015/08/25

13. 2015/08/25
    ranatlas

To ELL JAY 50 -- I followed your instructions and they worked, enabling me to play video along with audio, using Windows Media Player. Many thanks!!

To Neil -- I think I must have all the Codecs in the world by now (I tried a few downloads from the link you provided), but maybe I've missed something. I will go back there and see.
    I do have VLC on my PC and can play audio/video with that program.

To ELL JAY 50 (again) -- I haven't run into the "X next to the Volume Speaker Icon" issue on YouTube. Thanks anyway.

To mmullen2 -- Thanks for the file. I'm having some trouble with attempting to change the extension from .txt to .drv . Will keep trying it...

I hope I didn't fail to acknowledge any more of your suggestions, folks. I really appreciate your efforts to help me!

So, just to recap where I'm at... I can play video along with audio using several players that I have on my PC: Windows Media Player, VLC, QuickTime, and Media Player Classic. I guess I can "work around" my YouTube dilemma (still no audio w/the videos), if there's something I really, really want to watch & hear, by downloading the video w/YouTube Downloader and playing it back with one of the aforementioned media players. Also, I've downloaded & installed & removed & re-downloaded Adobe Flash Player many times but this hasn't helped.

I can live without the Windows sounds. (They're still greyed out when I go to Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds tab, etc.)

So I guess the only issue that I really care about now is that I can't play songs on SoundCloud. I have a few musician friends who have uploaded a bunch of songs there, and if I want to hear their songs I have to bug my friends to send their audio files to me some other way. I'm wondering if the volume bars that move up and down while a song plays on SoundCloud are somehow related to video on YouTube?

<sigh>

Okay, that's all for now. Again, I thank all of you who have replied and tried to help me. At least we made some progress here and there!

Take care,
    Randy

14. 2015/08/25
    ranatlas

I realize that I mentioned this earlier in this thread, but here goes again, in different words and with another link that I believe confirms this:

It seems that the key to my problem (and it is a key problem, literally!) lies in my registry, because the driver file msacm32.drv driver file does not exist in C:\Windows\System32 , nor in the registry. For more info, follow the link below.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/adobe-flash-no-sound-wavemapper-trick/

To mmullen2 (again) -- When I right-click on the text file, click rename, and hit enter, the file remains a text file. It seems that my computer "wants" msacm32 to be a text file and not a driver file. Am I doing something wrong?

15. 2015/08/25
    ranatlas

My last post of the night:

I don't know what I did, but the msacm32.drv file *does* exist in C:\Windows\System32. But I don't see it in the Registry.

16. 2015/08/26
    retiredlearner

Hi Randy, just a further thought. Go to > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Windows programs (left side) > are all the windows features you need enabled? Neil.

17. 2015/08/26

It's listed in my registry in the right pane as wavemapper REG_SZ msacm32.drv That key is very easy to create. First create a Restore Point then just follow the instructions shown in the link in your Post #33 or for that same link click Here

Last edited: 2015/08/26
  18. 2015/08/26
    ranatlas

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your reply. This was a good idea and I thought I had tried it, but upon trying it again (?) just now, I ran into a bit of a snag. I checked a box to try to add Accessories and Utilities (didn't realize it was missing, also didn't know whether I need it) but an error window popped up, called Files Needed. The message said: The file "freecell.chm" on Windows XP Professional CD-Rom is needed. Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK. Copy files from: (and then I'm supposed to browse for the path) I tried several paths where I thought this file would be, but I didn't get anywhere with this. Then I did a search for freecell.chm and nothing came up. I recognize "Freecell" as a game, so I went to Start > All Programs > Games but the only thing to the right of the arrow there was the word (Empty). I never play games on this computer so I never knew that Games was Empty.

After this sound problem started (originally) I scanned my computer with Spybot Search & Destroy, Malwarebyes Anti-Malware, and my anti-virus program which is Avast. I'm wondering if I should do that again, and/or scan with another program or utility? Does it sound like my registry could have been altered?

Thanks again,
    Randy

Last edited: 2015/08/26
  19. 2015/08/26
    ranatlas

Hi ELL JAY 50,

This sounded good too, but once again I ran into a snag. The Registry Editor isn't allowing me to create a new key or string value. When I try to create the new key you mentioned, I get this message which is titled Error Creating Key: Cannot Create Key: Error while opening the key Drivers32. When I try to create a new String value, I get a message called Error Creating Value: Cannot create value. Error writing to the registry.

I appreciate your trying to help me once again, and I hope I'm not wasting your time with this.

I'm going to start scanning my PC for malware, etc. If nothing serious is found, I think I'll just take a break from all of this.

Thanks again,

Randy

20. 2015/08/26
    retiredlearner

Randy, have you run Error Checking recently? Double click My Computer > Right click Local disc (C:) > click Properties > Tools > Error Checking.
    You will be asked to shut down as checkdisc will start from your next Bootup.
    I would also run the HDD manufacturers Diagnostic tools to confirm the integrity of the Drive.
    As you haven't been able to run sfc /scannow properly and thoroughly, you don't know whether ALL files are correct and in place.
    I'm wondering if you have bad sectors in the drive which are adding to your problems. Neil.

21. 2015/08/27
    ranatlas

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your post with these two ideas.

I ran Chkdsk and it showed no errors on the disk.

Regarding your second idea, I found a diagnostic tool for my Samsung HDD. I had to download an .iso file which I extracted and then burned to a CD using ImgBurn. Anyway, the file I needed was called run.bat - but whenever I clicked on its icon, it brought up a Command Prompt window that displayed several lines of text for a split second, and then the window would disappear. I tried to get a screenshot of it, to see what it said, but to no avail. The window appeared and disappeared so fast. I even shot a video of it with my digital camera and tried to capture the text using VLC, but that didn't work either.

Hopefully this means that I don't have bad sectors in the drive?

Also, as I mentioned in a previous post, once again I scanned my computer with Spybot Search & Destroy, Malwarebyes Anti-Malware, and my anti-virus program which is Avast. No threats were found.

I think I will go back to taking a break from all of this. Thanks, guys, I appreciate all of your ideas and all the time you've spent on this rather bizzare issue. :- )

Thanks,

Randy

Last edited: 2015/08/27