1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved I need advice about whether I need to format new hard drives

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by bellisimo, 2014/07/13.

1. 2014/08/05
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

If me, I would start Word, then under Word Options > Resources, select "run Microsoft Office Diagnostics ".

2. 2014/08/05
    bellisimo Lifetime Subscription

bellisimo Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks Bill,

I ran Microsoft Office Diagnostics and found nothing unusual. Can you think of anything else I might try short of reformatting C Drive and reinstalling everything?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/08/05
    Bill

That is ALWAYS a last resort option as it can set you months or even years behind in security. Also, you lose all your data files, downloaded programs, settings. You don't learn anything to prevent recurrence of the problem, and, it often does not fix the problem.

In Control Panel, find Office then click on Change. You should get an option to do a repair install. I would try that.

If you need more, please state your specs, including version of Windows, and/or fill out your system specs in your forum profile and point us to that.

5. 2014/08/05

i'm not sure what you mean is always a last resort. Did you mean reformatting and reinstalling everything on my SSD hard drive and, if so, why would it set me back years in security.

When you format and reinstall Windows on these hard drives, are you not then starting out with a freshly reformatted hard drive that has nothing on it?

I'll post my computer specs when i get home as I don't have them on this laptop.

Thanks again.

6. 2014/08/05
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Please enter your System Details. It helps us in answering your questions!

No idea which OS you are using, but if 7 - and 8 no doubt similar ....

Right clicking on a Word file, apart from giving MS Word as an option, should show 'Choose default program' - check that MS word is the default.

7. 2014/08/05
    Bill

When you format a drive, it essentially ends up with nothing on it. That is, all the space is marked as available and free - until you install Windows again. But note ONLY Windows will be on the drive - all your other programs, data files and any updates since the installation will be lost.

No big deal if you just installed Windows. But when the drive has been in use for bit,

8. 2014/08/05
    Bill

Yeah, Pete's suggestion is actually the first thing to try. When you right click on the Word doc, click on Open with, then you should be able to tell it to always use Word for that file type.

9. 2014/08/05

Here are my system specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.4 GHz
    Installed Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
    System Type: 64-bit Operating System
    C: Drive Kingston Solid State 256 G

Thanks. I'll go ahead now and try your suggestion.

10. 2014/08/05

Thank you Pete and Bill,

Choosing Default program solved the problem. What a relief:)

One last question:

I also installed a 1 TB Seagate Hard Drive for all my storage. I've connected it to my computer and the computer isn't recognizing it. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks again.

11. 2014/08/05
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Please follow the instructions in the link I posted.

When you have done that your system specs will be listed under My System in the name panel to the left of each post and will be visible in any post you make - in any thread.

Check out My System under my name.

12. 2014/08/05

Thanks Peter,

I've updated my system specs.

13. 2014/08/05

With respect to my 1 TB SATA hard drive, it shows up in Device Manager, but when I click on Computer the only Hard Drive that shows is my SSD drive. I don't understand why it will show in one place and not the other.

Until I can figure this out, I can't store any files on it. Has anyone had this experience? Could it be that the hard drive needs to be formatted before the computer will recognize it?

Thanks.

14. 2014/08/05
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

Hi Bill,
    In regards to formatting the SSD, I should have mentioned that while installing Win 8.1 I did not even have the option for a full format ony "Quick Format" Recomended.
    Here is a Link:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ng-a-ssd/8ddfdca6-6cc7-4abc-bc50-f2d9658b5ed4

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-S...ow-to-initialize-your-SSD-Windows/ta-p/111492

In regards to the ports SATA II or SATA 3 you can read tons of material some say the difference is not all that great and barely noticable in everyday computing others speak of big differences.
    Here is a comparison of read write speeds.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8142/~/difference-between-sata-i,-sata-ii-and-sata-iii

hawk22

15. 2014/08/06
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Thank you :)

16. 2014/08/06
    Bill

It definitely depends on what you are doing, the device, and the interface whether or not you will see any difference with SATA III speeds. If you are streaming video the SATA interface, you want the most bandwidth you can get.

But if you are just using the device as a drive, you may not notice the advantages as so much is happening in RAM, drives today come with larger buffers, and because Windows throws such tasks into the background where you don't see them.

The bottom line remains the same. You need to buy the latest technologies if you want your purchases to support you further into the future. That is, if buying new today, don't buy obsolete/legacy versions.

17. 2014/08/06

Thank you Bill.