1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Goodbye Adobe Acrobat Reader

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by Rockit, 2005/02/27.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/02/27
    Rockit

Rockit Inactive Thread Starter

I've been waiting for this for awhile.

Acrobat Reader = 37.9 meg.

Foxit PDF Reader = 1 meg.

And it works for me !!

Foxit PDF Reader is small (the download size less than 1MB), so you can download it quickly. It doesn't need any lengthy installation, so you can start to run it as soon as you can download it.

And it starts up immediately, so you don't need to wait the annoying "Welcome" screen to disappear.

Foxit PDF Reader is extremely easy to use, just double click it to start and then click open button to open your PDF document. If you want to print, click on "Print" button. If you want to setup the page layout for printing, select "Print Setup" from "File" menu.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4510.html

Cheers
    Rockit

2. 2005/02/28
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/02/28
    Rockit

Hey Tony
    I'm not sure about the browser plugin. If the PDF is something I need to view bad enough, I usally download it for further reading anyway. The numbers I put up were directly from the uninstall of version 7.0. It's there latest one. I just downloaded and installed it two day's ago. And I selected minimal installation and opted out of the Photoshop Album 2.0 and other options.

Cheers
    Rockit

5. 2005/02/28
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

FWIW, my ver. 7 takes up 56.7 Megs. Just bare bones basic install. I shudder to think what size the full program must be. I don't mind that so much but I do wish it was somewhat faster in opening docs. I hate to see something in pdf format when searching the net. It really throws a pause into the pace.

I'll try the mini program and see if it can do the job. I get lots of tax forms in pdf so don't want to jepordize that.

6. 2005/02/28
    RichC

RichC Inactive

Rockit, thanks for the post, it's a fine little program. I especially like that there is no install needed, and I like how it loads in an instant compared to Acrobat. It does integrate with IE if you make it the default PDF reader, but currently not with Firefox although I read it will in a future update. My only complaints otherwise are 1) it doesn't support PDF fill-in type forms and 2) the advertisement in the main toolbar for the Foxit PDF Editor keeps appearing even when disabled.

7. 2005/02/28
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

I just tested it and I second the motion RichC - it takes right over if you let it become the default viewer. I opened my on-line bank statement in a flash. I don't use those fill-in forms anyway, they're too clumsy and you can't do a save and edit later.

I think this is a keeper, thanks for sharing Rockit

8. 2005/02/28
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

I agree Rockit. Kudos to you for finding that. I've set it as my default viewer and from the files I've used to check it out, it's worked perfectly. Good-bye Adobe. Thanks Rockit.

9. 2005/02/28
    Bmoore1129

Bmoore1129 Geek Member

Rockit

Excellent!! This booger works much faster and I don't have a 67 meg program just for reading pdf's. Thanks. :cool:

10. 2005/03/02
    bluzkat

bluzkat Inactive

Is bigger, better?

You guys got me poking around a little bit... acrobat reader has always been one of those *no brainer* downloads, you want to read a PDF file, you used the program. Acrobat's weighing in at 59.7 MBs in explorer (this includes 30 MBs of 'plugins'). :eek: In Add/Remove programs it shows up as 65+ MBs, talk about 'bloat'.

Another big "Thank You" to Rockit... Foxit PDF reader becomes a 'must have'.

B :cool:

11. 2005/03/02
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hey Rockit,

Never did like Acrobat - thanks :)

Regards - Charles

12. 2005/03/02
    Hugh Jarss

Hugh Jarss Inactive

nice one Rockit, will certainly be giving it a try...

best wishes, HJ.

13. 2005/03/02
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Very most wonderfully excellent. Very.

We have some reports on our intranet server that are now in .pdf and it was always a pain in the hindparts to click on the first of them when I came to work and have to wait for the sluggy 6.x version of Actobat that is inflicted on us to load and then to display the first of the reports.

This thing is instant loading and has lots more features. I love it already (after about 10 minutes). IE integration is seamless.

Great find Rockit.

14. 2005/03/02
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

I tried it.

I think I like it.

It took me longer to find a .PDF file ( that was buried knee deep in My Docs ) to doubleckick on than it did to download and unzip the thing.

Much faster.

BillyBob

15. 2005/03/02
    JoeHobart

JoeHobart Inactive Alumni

nice! I dont know how PDF ever caught on anyhow. its not an accurate reproduction of the original document anyways. PCL is such a better lightweight imaging format.

16. 2005/03/04
    OLDSALTY Lifetime Subscription

OLDSALTY Inactive

I use 7.0 and it is 54MB. So who cares with the new drives? I have 220GB of hard drive space.

PS: Kudos to Rockit

Last edited: 2005/03/04
  17. 2005/03/04
    Rockit

I'm in the process of building a new computer and what disturbs :( me is most manufactures don't include a manual anymore. They expect you to get the manual in PDF format and print it out. I don't think using up all my ink for a 150 page motherboard manual is really cost effective. And I still prefer a regular manual over a stack of papers.

Rockit

And Yes these components are Retail not OEM.

Last edited: 2005/03/04
  18. 2005/03/04
    refroy

refroy Inactive

Refroy

This is a great LITTLE program<
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Will still use Adobe to edit and change, but for all other work (just reading) this is a sure replacement.

19. 2005/03/04
    Snapshooter

Snapshooter Inactive

Foxit pdf reader

Just plain GREAT, and at high speed too. Haven't checked everything out yet, but what I have, is a definite time saver.

ROCKIT, as the Aussies say, Good on yuh mate.

20. 2005/03/05
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

Just for the record, a full installation of Adobe Acrobat 6, is 176 Mb, and there is ALWAYS a lag when using it, even from the BHO. Good find on the freebie, Rockit, but I can't do without my full version. I tried the alternatives, and they don't have the options. But next time someone needs just a plain reader, Foxit pdf will be my suggestion, not AA reader.

Thanks!
    Johanna

21. 2005/03/05
    bluzkat

bluzkat Inactive

Johanna,

There is a 'Pro' version of FoxIt, might be worth a look. Look HERE .

B :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.