1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Goodbye Adobe Acrobat Reader

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by Rockit, 2005/02/27.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/03/05
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

Mr. B.,
    The price for the Foxit Editor is sure nice, but it lacks some of the features I need. It might be great for someone else, and at a sixth of the price of AA6, certainly is worth a look to anyone who only needs AA casually.

Johanna

2. 2005/03/05
    bluzkat

bluzkat Inactive

Johanna,

The PDF reader got my curiosity up, so I went and checked out their website. I don't use Acrobat so I couldn't compare features. I thought that it may be lacking a few bell and whistles. Still your right, it may be perfect for someone who just needs to publish a simple PDF document. ;)

B :cool:

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/03/05
    xpslayer

xpslayer Inactive

Hmmmm....... that is strange about AAR opening so slow I have 7.0 and it is
    instant when clicking on a PDF document. I see no welcome screen at all it
    just pops right up ready to read. I know the older 6.0 was as slow as molasses
    in the middle of December about opening up when clicking on a PDF document
    but AAR 7.0 is extremely fast for me. :confused:

5. 2005/03/08
    dan239

dan239 Inactive

Thanks Rockit

I love this reader, I have uninstalled Adobe Acrobat 6 and have not missed it yet.

I noticed that this reader is much better when scrolling through many pages of a .pdf document. It does not seem to reload each page as I scroll up or down like Acrobat did, which caused a slight delay at each page.

Thanks again for a great find.

Daniel

6. 2005/03/08
    RayH

RayH Inactive

PDF caught on because it can be read by any computer. I do a lot of converting TO PDF before I send things out. Not everyone has Word, etc.

7. 2005/03/08
    quickshot Lifetime Subscription

quickshot Well-Known Member

I have downloaded and have tried the reader. It is fast and light. I had a problem with the seach feature on it as it would find the first instance of the word or phrase but that is all, would not continue on to the next. A good program none the less.

quickshot

8. 2005/03/09
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

Yeah, I found that same bug in the search feature. Actually it found nine instances of a word when searching 16 pages but overlooked it on the final page. :confused: I thought it was just picking on me so I'm relieved to hear that it affected you too quickshot. I'm sure they'll iron that out in time.

9. 2005/03/14
    rebecca Contributing Member

rebecca Well-Known Member

I, too, like how much faster this program opens documents up than Adobe Acrobat. However, every time I click on a pdf doc to look at, I get the following error message:

Windows cannot find 'C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\DSPDetail.pdf'[or whatever the file name is]. You may have typed the name incorrectly in the Run dialog, or another open program cannot find a system file. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

After I click on "Okay" to the above message, the document always opens up just fine, but having that error show up each and every time is grating on me. Does anyone have any suggested solutions to this problem?
    Thanks!

10. 2005/03/14
    Rockit

Rockit Inactive Thread Starter

Hi Rebecca,
    Try this ...
    Make a folder and name it PDF's
    Do a search and type in this *.pdf
    Move all the PDF's to the folder you made called PDF's

Then try again
    Should work and you'll know where they are all at the next time you need one.

Good Luck
    Rockit

11. 2005/03/14
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

rebecca
    Are you using Windows ME? I had a look at their support forums and found a few threads related to this. Apparently it's a bug in ME. They say it'll be fixed in the next build. That's about all they had to say about it. Sorry.

12. 2005/03/14
    loonychoons Lifetime Subscription

loonychoons Inactive

rockit

I have had this problem before when I try to download anything from Majorgeeks my system blocks it? I can override this setting! and I feel safe because you and the others like this PDF reader and that you highly recommend this program. So what do you think? and should I soften my setting? loonychoons

13. 2005/03/14
    Rockit

Rockit Inactive Thread Starter

I believe MajorGeeks is safe and I've never had any issues with anything I got from there.

Good Luck
    Rockit

14. 2005/03/14
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hi loonychoons,

Are you referring to them wanting to download a font? What a PITA, the only site that I know that does that. AFAIK, its safe, I have that setting on prompt.

Regards - Charles

15. 2005/03/14
    charlesvar

This is why I finally got rid of ME and replaced it with a 2nd XP in the dual boot config. I found that this software compatibility issue was just getting worse.

Zander, you must be starting to run into this sort of thing, or is it better for 98?

Regards - Charles

16. 2005/03/14

loonychoons Inactive

Thanks Guys!!

To charlesvar & rockit, Thanks I now have that "Adobe Clone" downloaded ant will install when I get a few Min. to check it out. Lenny P.S. I know where New Jersey Is but can not seem to locate Space Station # 5 ?

17. 2005/03/14
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

No, I haven't had any problem of this sort. I just took a look at their forums in an effort to come up with an answer to rebecca's problem.

I don't have ME. I have a dual boot XP and 98 system. I haven't tried the program yet in 98. I hardly ever use 98 anymore. In fact if I were to ever format this thing, I probably wouldn't install 98 again. 98's always been super stable for me but I don't know if I could justify giving up the extra disk space for the little bit that I use it. Guess I'll have to check the program out in 98.

I have run into one problem with the program though. I did manage to come across a pdf file that doesn't display correctly in it. I can read the file if I magnify it a bunch but the same file displays perfectly in Acrobat Reader. It's the only one I've come across so far. I recently bought a car stereo for one of my kids. The pdf is a manual for the radio. I could post a link to it if somebody else is interested in taking a look at it to see if it displays correctly for them or not. It's a little over 5MBs so it's probably not something you'd want to do if you're on dialup. I've looked at the options in Foxit and can't really see any way of changing the way it displays the file. I thought I'd try viewing it in 98 to see if there's any difference but haven't got around to it yet.

Other than that the programs worked perfectly for me. After running into this file though, I'm not quite sure I'm ready to uninstall Adobe just yet.

18. 2005/03/14
    charlesvar

Space Station # 5

Whenever Rockit posts and I see that, I'm reminded of the old TV show Babylon 5, which on the whole was pretty good. Any connection Rockit?

Regards - Charles

19. 2005/03/14
    shadowhawk

shadowhawk Inactive

Thank you thank you thank you, Looney. You have no idea how happy this makes me. I've never liked Adobe Acrobat. For as long as I can remember, it's crashed and frozen every browser I've used, including Firefox. This little gem opens up documents in itself instead of in the browser and just pops right up. Thanks again. I'm gonna recommend this to people.

20. 2005/03/14

loonychoons Inactive

charlesvar

I think that I found rockit's location, loonychoons? Space Station 5: Models

Space Station 5
    By Jean Marc Deschamp
    Photography by Jean Marc Deschamp. This could be you. If you want to showcase your 2001 Space Station 5 model, Google search for this Photo?

21. 2005/03/14

loonychoons Inactive

shadowhawk

You need to thank" rockit" I installed my Adobe Clone and love it. I Have deleted the original Adobe and therefore saved a whole lot of disk space!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.