1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Xp Crashing - Registry ???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by reknaw, 2003/03/12.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/03/12
    reknaw

reknaw Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have a Pent 4, 1.7mHz 256 Ram with XP - all was going well for over a year, now, I keep getting all kinds of error messages popping up as well as crashing more often than I like.

I have tried running Norton's WinDoctor (System 2003) and during the WINDOWS REGISTRY SCAN: ACTIVEX/COM SECTIONS - it crashes and shuts down everytime. If I bypass that scan it scans the rest OK including Active/Com: SUB SECTIONS....

Also I have tried Advance System Optimer and it too crashes and shuts down when I run 'Registry Cleaner/Fixer' or 'Registry Defrager & Optimizer'

It appears I may have a corrupt file in the Registry. If so, can I delete, say, ACTIVE X altogether and download it again from somewhere (where?) and will that delete the corrupt file(?) or overrwrite the registry with a new entry,

OR would re-installing MS Windows XP help - in which case would that ***** up any existing Data files and Settings I have ?

Any and all help appreciated

2. 2003/03/12
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Do this in this order:

Spyware and adware removal

SpyBot
    http://security.kolla.de/index.php?lang=en&page=download

Run this twice delete all it finds, "ALWAYS" run this before AdAware.

Leave all it wants to leave after the second run.

AdAware 6.0
    http://www.lavasoft.de

Run only after SpyBot!

Make sure to configure to Max settings, all files and compressed files.Delete all it finds

BHO Demon
    http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm

A BHO is like a autostart/startup that only runs when you run the Browser.

This program runs stand alone no install is required post me the items it finds other than the below. Normal entries here would be Acro..... (Acrobat Reader) or Nav.... (Norton Anti virus).

RegScrubXP
    http://home.carolina.rr.com/lexunfreeware/RegScrubXP/RegScrubXP.htm

NOTE: W2K and XP only

Select RegScrub finds problems and remove all it finds.

Download the all above and update the defs to latest, configure to max setting but do not run. All above are be done in safe mode!

Next boot to SAFE MODE (HIT F8 WHILE BOOTING)

then

Configure CleanMgr to max settings
    Go to Start-Run and type

cleanmgr /sageset:1

The above need only be ran once (these settings will be remembered as the default until another sageset is ran).

It will present a menu select all except compress, then Go to Start-Run and type

cleanmgr /sagerun:1

As long as /sageset above has been ran on this computer from now on the /sagerun is the only thing that needs to run.

Now run all of the above

When finished go to command prompt
    type

chkdsk /f

let it reboot to do job

after it returns from the reboot to full mode, the last thing...

Put your XP disk in the CD and go to command prompt and type

sfc /scannow

let it finish and reboot if nessesary

if this don't get it there are a couple more things to do so get back to me.

Print this so you can do the steps in order and correctly.

Mike

Last edited: 2003/03/12

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/03/12
    reboot

reboot Inactive

Follow all the steps given by mflynn, it's sound advice.
    Then uninstall Norton System Crasher, and repeat ALL the steps above.
    If you rely on Norton to "keep" a system running well, or "fix" a supposed problem with an otherwise stable system, you're dreaming. It's bloatware, and unreliable at best. At worst, it can render your system useless.
    There is nothing Norton's can do, that isn't already built in to Windows, or a much smaller 3rd party app can't do better.

5. 2003/03/12
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Lol, lol.....

10-4 to that.

But I didn't say it... I've said it too much before.

But Reboot you say it so good.....

Mike

6. 2003/03/12
    reknaw

Thanks mflynn and reboot....

Wow, that's a lot to get my head around. I think I'll do some back ups first and wait 'til I have a spare day to proceed.

If I'm reading you right you are saying do ALL the above before checking to see if OK. or do I check it after each and quit without proceeding to the next step if it works OK.

reboot, if as you say, Norton's is ****, can I remove it now before going ahead with mflynn's solution ?

One other thing guys. A friend with much more knowledge than me says I'm probably right re. corrupy file in registry and suggests that I use the XP System Recovery Disk that came with the PC, he warns that it will erase everything and re sets to the original factory settings...... meaning I'd have to back up all my data and personal stuff first and reload all my applications.........
    to me this seems like a last resort, if your above methods fail for some reason. What's your opinion on this ???

Thanks again, I really appreciate the assistance and time you have given me

7. 2003/03/12
    reboot

reboot Inactive

No, it's not a corrupt registry, or the system would display different symptoms. It's a corrupt piece of software (Nortons) that's doing you in.
    ActiveX controls are integral to XP's operation, and Nortons has seen fit to change/remove something it thinks isn't needed/wanted (just another case of shoddy software...sigh).
    You can either do all mflynn's suggestions, then remove Norton, or save yourself a step, and remove Norton now, then see if you can return it and get your money back, then run the stuff.
    The ONLY Norton product I would ever consider having on any of my systems, is Ghost.
    The easy way, create a restore point, then uninstall Norton, make another restore point, run all the stuff mflynn suggests (rebooting as needed), then see how the system reacts.
    If it's still flaky, run an XP repair install over top.
    If all the hardware is good, and there's nothing amiss in device mangler, then this will perk the system back to it's (more or less) original state, with all your programs in place.
    The absolute very last resort would be to run the recovery disk, but before you do that, post with any other problems/concerns you have, because there's almost ALWAYS a way to recover a (XP)system without such drastic measures.

8. 2003/03/12
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Yes by all means backup!

No this process is not that bad it only looks complex.

Just take it step by step. After the d/l s it should take 30 minutes ,depending on the chkdsk. It could take a while.

No need to check at points, this will only help the system in general. This is what I call the shotgun approach. Even if it don't get the problem it clears the slate for easier troubleshooting.

DO IT TO IT!!!! Smile!

If you were to take Reboots execlent advice you should do this first using Add/Remove on System "crasher" so these cleanups will cleanup behind it also!

If after you do these cleans especially the RegScrub and it locks up in RegScrub, yes this would confirm a "bad" Registry problem.

Make sure you do these as directed in SAFE MODE because so many things are out of the way in safe mode.

Wait if you want, its your problem, if you can put up with it!

Mike

Mike

9. 2003/03/12
    reboot

reboot Inactive

Even if it locks up in regscrub, you can run it through the windows gui and still clean up a ton of stuff.
    It still doesn't mean a totally corrupt registry, but could be a .dll gone amiss, or an RPC that's not adressed properly, or a service that's not starting when it should...
    Mike's idea is to clean the slate as much as possible, narrow down the problem (if one still exists after our advice), attempting other non-destructive fixes, all before getting the firehose out ;)

10. 2003/03/12
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

I do not agree with remarks made in regards to Norton.

I have used Norton Products ever since the days of DOS/Win3.1 and never had a problem with them. Other than the actual crash creating CrashGuard which used to be but is no longer around.

I have not yet found a 3rd party app that does any better.

I ran NSW 2003 in XP Pro for the week that I had it and no problems whatsoever. I dumped XP but it was not due to Norton.

It was strictly a XP vs User battle that created the problems.

BillyBob

11. 2003/03/12
    Newt

Newt Inactive

As always with computers, your mileage may vary.

I've used Norton in some incarnation for lots of OSs (and now their Systemworks) and for a long time myself. And run the fix-it piece once a week, letting it fix what it finds. No problems, ever.

Crash Guard was an abomination but thankfully a dead one at this point.

And maybe because I'm cheap and still run 2002, I have gone back to the built-in defrag app with XP. Norton 2002 optimized a drive one way and DiskKeeper another. Problem is, XP optimizes some on the fly and as soon as Norton had finished, DiskKeeper would start to undo/redo the drive and I'd wind up with lots of fragmentation.

Question for mflynn & reboot: have you folks used it and had problems or just going on some of the many horror tales floating around?

12. 2003/03/12
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Newt I never liked the idea of crash protectors "projectors ".

Never used Systemworks myself but I have had to remove it from many of clients computers. I mean maybe 20 or more computers at different times.

Most always to cure some lockup or shutdown problem but a lot to restore performance.

Some do seem to work allright mostly for experienced people that know how to use it and how to configure it! But even those don't seem to show any special benifit.

I use many utilities but hate anything that goes resident unless by its very nature it needs to be like, a Virus scanner, fire wall etc.

I will not use a resident spyware stopper for this reason, I had just as well stay behind them by a cleaning ever so often.

Mike

13. 2003/03/12

BillyBob Inactive

If you have had to remove Norton software from that many PCs I can almost gaureentee you that is was due to IMPROPER use.

And/or Improper installation

Or running it and a combination of other similiar Windows or other 3rd party software.

Guess where I learned that. ? Sure was not out of any book or from what the box said.

I have yet to see Norton create any performance problems.

As long as I the USER maintain control of it AND WINDOWS

Some of the stuff that Windows wants to load has caused me more preformance problems than Norton.

As I asked in another post.

" Why do you think I am still with 98 SE. ? "

Answer;
    Because I the USER have almost 100% control of both Windows and software installed into same.

BTW. Mike I do 100% wholeheartedly agree about keeping the Resident junk to an absolute minimum. As you say AV & Firewall are needed.

BillyBob

14. 2003/03/13
    reboot

reboot Inactive

I've used it, and also removed it from more systems than I care to count.
    BB may be partially right, that running it without knowing what you're doing can cause problems.
    The BIGGEST problem with it, is that people develop problems with an OS, after having it installed for 6 months to a year, and THEN they purchase it, and run it.
    It's going to try and change everything, all at once, to (theoretically) improve performance, and clean up the junk.
    Guaranteed crash.
    If a system has problems, Norton's isn't going to fix them.
    If you have a fresh OS install, and install Norton's, and contrinually (once a week) run it, then it will probably do what it's advertised to do.
    It is NOT a magical, hit one button, and poof, you have a nice smooth stable system. Too many users get sucked in to buying it for just that reason though, and end up taking it to a shop, where it's promptly removed, and the system basically rebuilt to undo it's damage.

15. 2003/03/13

BillyBob Inactive

Well said reboot

Having problems with this site ( and others as well ) but will give it a go.and hope for the best.

That is absolutly 100% correct. But, Users may expect it to.

If system has a problem and Norton balks at it, Norton may get the blame for the problem. This is the part that I feel is wrong.

I have ( and you may have also ) cases where a certain program would freeze up the whole machine. Right off the bat the program may get he blame. But all the time it may well be ( and has been ) VIDEO DRIVERS.

It next to impossible ( if not just plain impossible ) to get software that will work on EVERY machine for EVERY user. But I just do not believe that that makes the software itself bad.

I also believe that Symantec ( Norton ) software ( expecially NSW ) should be the first thing installed after a clean install and let it grow with the system.

And use it on a regular basis. Do not wait weeks or months in between runs.

As reboot said. Putting it in 6 months later and expecting it to clean up any mess is rediculus.

Impending Crash agreed to.

Well I will now see if this gets to where it is supposed to go.

BillyBob

Last edited: 2003/03/13
  16. 2003/03/13
    reknaw

mflyn or reboot:
    OK, I'm about ready to start following Mike's instructions. I have all the utilies above downloaded. Under Note: W2K and WP it's says download all the above & update to latest...etc ... all above to be done in safe mode .... then it says Next boot to Safe Mode.

Is this meaning everything is done in "safe mode" starting from SpyBot ???? Can I connect to internet to get updates in "safe mode" ?

Sorry, but I'm a little slow with this.

Thanks again guys.:confused:

17. 2003/03/13
    reboot

reboot Inactive

reknaw, don't apologise for asking anything. You could learn the hard way, and fumble through it, possibly make a mess, and be more frustrated than you are now. Or you can simply pop in here, ask any question, and usually get a decent enough answer. That's all we're trying to do.

Install the programs, go grab the updates, get everything you need, then restart in safe mode to run it all.
    It seems we assume things too much, a typical tech habit, sorry.
    Most of us have this stuff on our system's already, and have the updates installed.

Billy, it's too true, people expect miracles, but often it's because the advertising almost guarantees them those miracles.
    I would say it's 50% user error, 25% misconception/misrepresentation, and 25% other software (inc Windows/drivers) error.

18. 2003/03/13
    Tar Heel

Tar Heel Banned

I have been using NAV since 1995. I bought NSW 2001 and then had to buy NSW 2002 for my XP machine, as NSW 2001 is not compatible with XP. I have never had a problem with NAV or NSW. I have always done what the others in this thread said to do, keep it updated, run it regularly, and dont expect it to work mircacles that it is not intended to do.

The suggestions from regulars on this site are invaluable to me. They have helped me in many situations. One rule of thumb, I never try something beyond my knowledge base, and then just hope for the best. Many times in talking to newbies (which i still consider myself to be on most issues), they just try fixes blindly, and then blame it on their "computer" when it doesn't work, or the problem gets worse. The thorough steps as outlined above is a perfect of example of how to troubleshoot. Thanks guys for the great advice.

Tar Heel

19. 2003/03/13
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

10-4 thanks Reboot

That is exactly what I meant do the updates before safe mode.

I am traveling today so am now using clients computer to check in.

Will try later today again!

You all "got it goin... "

Mike

Now in Historic Petersburg VA.

Want to be home, Plain old Lexington NC. Smile!

Last edited: 2003/03/13
  20. 2003/03/13
    reknaw

OK Guys..... well I tried to follow instructions. Just about the hardest thing was getting it to start in safe mode. Anyway SpyBot went OK,I ran it twice. AdAware 6.0 had 19 errors mainly Data Miner or Misc. I deleted those.

BHO Demon only showed two files. Acrol E. Helper.ocx and Nav Sh ext.dll.

RegScrubXP Found 249 problems It fixed 83 before locking up - I left it for 20 minutes and it was not responding so I shut it down.

Should I try all over again or does this mean something to you guys.

No idea why F8 while booting up only works about 1 in 10 attempts.

Thanks again - I'll wait to hear for someone.

:confused:

21. 2003/03/13
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

OK Reknaw

Still working in Petersburg VA will not get home tonight.

Had a minute checked in, so if you did all the rest in safe mode then finish regscrub in normal mode.

Then give us a status report on the problem.

Mike

PS may not get to check back till morning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.