1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Xp Crashing - Registry ???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by reknaw, 2003/03/12.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/03/19
    reknaw

reknaw Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Reboot -Just reviewing the above, I've been looking to see how to get into the "Bios" I know how in WIN98, but can't find it with XP.
    All so, once I set it to boot up first with CD drive (D:) is that HDD-0 just the same as C: drive ?

Thanks

2. 2003/03/19
    reboot

reboot Inactive

Usually to get into BIOS, you tap the DEL key as the system is booting up.
    Set first device to CD_ROM, second device to HDD-0.
    Make sure you hit "any key" when prompted to boot from CD-ROM.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/03/19
    reknaw

Reboot - I've tried several time tapping the delete as it boots, also tried tapping Esc. both to no avail. I'm really begining to hate this XP. Any chance it's some other key I have to tap to get into BIOS Setup ????

5. 2003/03/19
    reknaw

Guess what ???? I found it. In XP it's F1
    I'll try the rest later. At the moment , Boot Device Priority is set at Ist Boot Device- Hard Drive 2nd Boot Device - ATAPI CD - ROM

I guess I just have to change them around and reverse later when everything is installed. (hopefulle) keep watching this space....... for news of the XP Dummy and his problems
    :(

6. 2003/03/19
    reknaw

Reboot. Ran into a major(for me) problem. Followed your instructions re. repair install. I got down to where I Hit F8 to agree to the TOS (Agreement ?) Then the problem.....the Next prompt was NOT to repair a current installation of Windows......
    It WAS:
    WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION SET UP
    The following list shows the existing unpartitioned space
    on this pc. Use up and down Arrow keys to select an item, press enter.
    * To set up Windows on the selected item, press Enter
    * To create partition in the unpartitioned space, press C
    * to Delete the selected partition, press D
    (then in a box below, it said)

38202 MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 0 on atrapi (MBR)
    C: Partition 1 (Fat 32) 38201 MB (25339 MB Free)

Then Enter Delete or F3 Quit

at this stage I hit F3 and got out of there....... What happened to the Repair a current installation of windows.... hit "R" to repair ???

Any ideas or did you miss out on a step ???

That a shame I was really into as well - I'll await to hear from you

7. 2003/03/20
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Recknaw

I am still traveling on business, but had a moment to check in.

No Reboot did not miss a step.

You will need to pick the installation drive and directory. Once you chose it and XP install sees the existing winnt folder it will ask you what to do, replace or repair the existing installation.

Chose repair! If it does not offer to repair then you have an option to quit at this point!

Mike

8. 2003/03/20
    reknaw

Do I ignore the warning re existing partitions and the possibility that continuing night lead to all kind of problems ?

9. 2003/03/20
    reboot

reboot Inactive

OK, one bit at a time...

Xp doesn't have a BIOS, your computer does. It has nothing to do with the operating system, so stop blaming XP ;)

Now I have one VERY serious question: Is this a Compaq, PB, HP, or Emachine (or other proprietary system)?

If so, you are toast. The standard XP disk will not recognize the boot sector of your hard drive, due to the **** that the system manufacturer has put on the drive, and a repair is NOT possible.
    You'll probably have to format and install fresh, losing everything you have.

If this is NOT one of the system's mentioned above, then you should select to install to "C: Partition 1 (Fat 32) 38201 MB (25339 MB Free)" (forget the unpartitioned space at this point), and THEN you should be prompted to hit R to repair the current installation.

Once it has completed and you're back to the desktop, we can deal with getting back all the unpartitioned space you may have.

10. 2003/03/25
    reknaw

Hi Guys..... finally back on line. Well the Factory Windows XP was no good. I was caught in a catch 22, could not continue and couldn't go back with out ******** up what I had. Anyway it was time to take it to a pro. He managed to save most of my data except email address (I had copied those anyway) he also determined that my memory module was causing all my crashes.
    He replaced that and reinstalled XP to C:\WinXp2 then copied my files from there... or something like that. Cut a long painful experience short. I'm up and running, everything seems to work fine. I would like to thank mflynn and reboot again for all there efforts & work..... end of thread:) ;) ;) ;)

11. 2003/03/25
    reknaw

boy... this must have a very sensitive filter system... all i said was
    under those ******** was ***** ing, didn't think that was so bad :)

I just previewed and it didn't like that word.... it begins with an "s" and works like a nail when joining wood

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.