1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Xp Crashing - Registry ???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by reknaw, 2003/03/12.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/03/13
    reknaw

reknaw Well-Known Member Thread Starter

mike
    I ran RegScrub a couple of times in regular mode but it still locks up halfway through and I have to use ctrl/alt/del to get out of it.

I did get a message at one time saying Could Not Fix. Key.Software\classes\AppsID\rstr 01.exe Value Name: App ID

The last time I ran it I had 97 problems and it froze after fixing 24

don't know if this means anything or what to do next -

any more suggestions ?

still :confused:

2. 2003/03/14
    reknaw

Mike:
    I sent you a personal email - don't know if it notifys you or not so thought I'd let you know.

Nothing too personal BTW :)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/03/14
    reboot

reboot Inactive

Open regedit, and do a search for rstr 01.exe
    See what bit of software that is.
    If it's something to do with Nortons, you can simply delete it.
    I have a feeling it's something about a registry backup, or registry restore function that's not part of a regular XP install.
    I have 4 XP machines here, and can't find that file anywhere, nor any reference to it in registry.

5. 2003/03/14
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Yes I agree!

Thanks Reboot, I am still away from home.

Reknaw got the email but time is tight here while I am trying to get finished so I can go home.

Listen to Reboot, don't jump on a reinstall yet.

Mike

6. 2003/03/14
    reknaw

Hi Reboot
    I searched redit and under Classses\software\AppID
    all I found were two identical file #'s e#6B281D-436A-11D3-80CB-0090276F843E3 - I opened each folder and again they seem identical and are for Net2Phone(data) AB (Default) & REG_S7 (Type) couldn't find anything re. 'rstro1.exe'
    I also did a search of C: drive for it without finding it.

Again, so far today it's been fine, working OK. Except for when typing emailmails etc., it keeps minimising to the lower task/toolbar and I have to keep opening it after every couple of lines. But the other problems, so far seem to have corrected themselves. Maybe I should leave well alone and work on the minmising thingy....

7. 2003/03/14
    reboot

reboot Inactive

Strange behaviour for OE...not sure what to do about the minimizing bit.
    You could just try a repair on it by removing it from add/remove programs, Windows components, and then reinstalling after a restart.
    Save your address book first, just in case. It should still be there, but not easily accessed.
    I guess it depends on how important your address book is.
    Do me a favor though, and download Easycleaner from http://www.toniarts.com/ecleane.htm and run it's registry tool.
    In the box that says "skip ", make sure it's blank.
    Delete everything it finds.
    That may help regscrub's problem as well.
    I think that once you have it working as good as it's going to get, that a repair install might just fix things up.
    Make sure you have the latest updates from MS first. There's one specifically for a connection problem after a repair, and you want to make sure you have it before running the repair.
    If you're satisified with the way it is (I wouldn't be, but then again, I love to tinker until it's perfect), then just leave well enough alone I suppose.

8. 2003/03/14
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Hi Reknaw and Reboot

Still in Petersburg VA finishing up packing up for 3.5 hr drive home.
    Though I would check in.

Talk about on the same track Reboot.

That is exactly what i would have told him!

If that don't do it then RegCleaner.

Reboot this is what I meant when I first told him that he may have a "bad" registry problem. It is what I call a hard spot it is going out of the park!

But the "Key.Software\classes\AppsID\rstr 01.exe Value Name: App ID" is probably not it.

It is very likely the next item that the registry cleaner found. Hoping that the registy cleaner transverses the registry like we do look at the next few items.

Reboot have you had a xp or 2k computer to lock up while booting and when you boot to safe mode it stops at mup.sys. Most think it is mup.sys but usually the agp video is next and that is the problem.

Same here except registry.

Heading home......

Mike Goonneeeee

Last edited: 2003/03/14
  9. 2003/03/15
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Uh oh!

Just noticed your handle! Lol!

Well anyway if you can stop long enough how about a status!

Reboot no wonder this guy takes so long to get back to us! Lol!

I jest reknaW!

LOL, Lol, lol!

Mike

10. 2003/03/16
    reknaw

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you guys... It's not as bad now, but still not right. I get the a ciouple of crashes per session. Still have that problem when typing messages (this screen has minimized three times (make that 4) just typing this message. If only I could fugure that problem out would help.

How about if I run (5 times-now) the utilities again - couldn't do any harm right ?

11. 2003/03/16
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

No, no need to run them again.

We a have a seperate problem to locate. The registry and temps should be clean.

I do need to know if you made it by the place in the registry that caused a lockup in RegScrubXP.

If it still locks up at the same point we will need to fix that, as it is probaly our problem with lockups in general.

As I see it we have substantially reduced the lockup, probably sped up the computer, correct. Now we are after completeing the lockup problem and the OE minimizing problem, correct.

One other question, think is there any thing else that don't work correctly that you forgot about.

I just got out of bed let me get a coffee and reread this entire thread to see what steps we take now.

Reknaw you sure stick in there, most people would have given up by now.

I will continue as long as I can think of anything because I am a problem solver, I want to know why so I will know if it happens again. As you may not know I do this Professionally!

Be back in 10 minutes or so.

Mike

12. 2003/03/16
    reknaw

Thanks mflynn. I haven't tried the RegScrub since we last discussed it but I will later. I'll be away most of the day so it will have to be later. While just reading your post it was minimising as it is right now while typing.

I've had a few of those xxxxx has encountered problems and has to close ...messages but no where near as many as before. Lately they seem to come in Outlook Express.

Anyway I have to run so I'll get back to you later. If you think of any thing else I should try let me know and I'll try it.

Thanks again

13. 2003/03/16
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Reknaw you should be learning something now that will help you with other thing in the future.

Ok reread entire thread.

Hold up on RegScrub for now!

These are the steps now!

Did you uninstall System Works?

Do this first:

Browse to \winnt\prefetch. Hilite and del all here! All these are a type of temp also.

The registry error

"Net2Phone(data) AB (Default) & REG_S7 (Type) couldn't find anything re. 'rstro1.exe' "

If you do not use Net2Phone then uninstall it to correct this after uninstall you should search again for these entries and delete. If you do run Net2Phone then you should still uninstall it and reinstall after everything is fixed.

If you uninstall this and System works then when you run Regcleaner below look specifically for these and remove them in RegCleaner.

1. You never said if you downloaded and ran EasyClean as suggested by Reboot.

If you have not done this yet do it before RegScrub. RegScrub is our FLAG now. If we do other things to finally get thu regscrub then we will probably have it whiped!

2. DownLoad RegCleaner

http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/regcleaner.shtml

Look in first 2 cols for programs you thought you uninstalled or removed, these are the dregs left by the uninstaller.

Also tag and remove any that you are "POSITIVE" are not supposed to be on your computer.

After removing these go to the top Tools-Registry Cleanup-Do them all. Delete all it finds.

3. Get BhoDemon

http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm

A BHO is like a autostart/startup that only runs when you run the Browser.

This program runs stand alone no install is required post me the items it finds other than the below.

Normal entries here would be Acro….. (Acrobat Reader) or Nav…. (Norton Anti virus).

4. D/L XpAntiSpy

http://www.webattack.com/get/xpantispy.shtml

Select everything except these 4 items. Or read the descriptions and make your own selections.

1. Don’t show balloon tips
    2. Enable fast shutdown
    3. Increase MaxConnectionsPerServer to 10
    4. Disable Task Scheduler service

After the first reboot after you run XPAntiSpy go back to XpAntiSpy and uncheck the clear Pagefile at shutdown, as we only want to clear it once.

Run RegScrub again!

Now finally after we have done all of the above and got thru RegScrub do the below to repair IE6 to begin to fix the minimizing.

Go to

Start-Run

Paste the line below to it and click OK!

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Uninstall Information\XPEXCP.EXE /u

Now get back to us with good news!

Mike

Last edited: 2003/03/16
  14. 2003/03/16
    reknaw

I started following mflynn's latest

1: System Words has been uninstalled
    2: I could not find \winnt\prefetch to browse - I searched to
    no avail - where's that likely to be found ?
    3 I don't use Net2Phone - so I did delete it , should I delete
    the folder App.ID all that has is AB(default) Reg_S7
    and Value not set headings.
    4. I had overlooked Reboots Easy Clean so I downloaded it
    the box said "Norton's" I deleted it to blank clicked on "Find "
    and the system crashed. Tried it again crashed again.
    5. BTW tried "Safe Mode" but it was freezing up when it went
    to the page with a full screen of "multi (0) disk (0) partition
    (1) \Windows\system 32\drivers...etc.. (different ones on
    each line - I'm sure you know what I mean
    6. Another BTW.... I looked at a Windows XP book for backing
    up Registry, etc it said START/ALL
    PROGRAMS/ASSESSORIES/SYSTEMS TOOLS/BACKUP....except
    on my pc there is no backup listed under Tools.

At this stage I have taken a break as I am getting very frustrated.
    I've only just realised, I've typed all this with losing it to the tool bar - that's encouraging at least......

15. 2003/03/16
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Reknaw

I am headed out to Dinner.

Will check back in 1-1/2 hrs.

Reknaw do Ctrl Alt Del and close all applications including virus scanners and firewalls anything you have added before doing the below.

Yes del the "App.ID all that has is AB(default) Reg_S7
    and Value not set headings. "

If you do not have a winnt\prefetch then how about a \windows\prefetch? Let me know!

When you try safe mode does it stop at mup.sys?

So don't worry about safe mode now!

You may have a video adapter problem!

Ok so do the XpAntiSpy!

Then try RegCleaner. There are directions to follow. If you can get thru RegCleaner go back to EasyClean then RegScrub. If one breaks lose then the others may go. if we can get thru all 3 then we have a better chance do a reinstall of XP.

We will quit when you say! A couple more shots and I am ready to advise an overlay install which will keep your software and settings.

Thing is if you have certain problems it may not overlay reinstall!

Mike

Reboot? Any fresh ideas?

Last edited: 2003/03/16
  16. 2003/03/17
    reboot

reboot Inactive

The MUP.sys is one of the most common mistakes everyone seems to make. The file that's just been loaded is the one on the screen, and you won't get to see the next one, until it's loaded successfully. AGP or IDE devices are the next in line after mup.

I think it's time for a repair install, and if that doesn't sort things out, then it's format time.

I would boot to safe mode, go into msconfig/startup, and remove the tick marks from everything.
    Restart.
    Find, and update Video drivers.
    Update IE to IE6SP1 from windowsupdate.
    If you've already done that, do it again.
    The system seems to be at a point where enough things are corrupted that it's never going to get totally stable.
    Even a repair may not work, although it usually does.

If you need the steps to do a repair install, post back.

17. 2003/03/17
    reknaw

Sorry Guys - just came home for lunch and found your replies....for some reason I didn't get an email saying that you had.
    I haven't had much time to follow thru' but here's what I've done.

I del App.ID etc...
    I did find C: Windows\prefetch - it contains a lot of file with extn .PF and are dated from 3/11/03 to today 3/17 - what do I do with then - delete all ??
    Couldn't get into Safe Mode
    Downloaded XpAntiSpy and it wanted me to choose what to disable, etc. didn't seem to have instructions so I didn't do anything there yet.... suggestions?

That's about all as I have to return to work and hopefull will have a reply from you guys when I get home tonight.

BTW the typing problem is back, I've been to the tool bar 6 times doing this - 7 now.

Thanks for all your efforts so far.

18. 2003/03/18
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Rec

Take a break unless Reboot or someone else can help.

I am away from home on business again.

Will check in when I get back!

Mike

19. 2003/03/18
    reboot

reboot Inactive

Time to run a repair install. You've got nothing to lose at this point.

Change the boot sequence in BIOS to CD-ROM first, then HDD-0.
    Put in the XP CD, and restart the computer.
    When prompted, boot to the CD.
    Start as if it were a new install, do NOT select "Repair using the repair console "!
    Hit F8 to agree to the TOS.
    The next prompt will be to repair a current installation of Windows...hit "R" to repair.
    Do it.
    Let it run, fill in the COA number, and be patient.
    When it's done, everything should be working nicely.

Open Explorer, browse to c:\windows, then click on Tools, Folder options, View.
    Take the tick marks out of "Hide protected operating system ...folders... ".
    Take the tick mark out of "Hide extentions for known file types... "
    Put a mark IN "show hidden files and folders.
    Delete all folders that begin with a $ character.
    Browse to c:\WUTEMP and delete the whole folder!

Now you can go back to windowsupdate and get all the updates.
    Check for a video card update as well, depending on the manufacturer of your video card.

All should be smooth after this, and you won't lose any settings/programs/data.

20. 2003/03/18
    reknaw

OK Reboot. I'll give that a try in a day or two when I can get time to take an afternoon off or maybe at the weekend. Like you say nothing to lose. Outlook Express is acting up now... when I click Create it's saying an error has occur and that my Address book is not installed correctly - I've been looking to see how to reinstall the address book but can't find any..... do you think the above will correct that ???

Thanks for your and mflynn's help - I'll post later the results but like I say it may be a little while.

21. 2003/03/19
    reboot

reboot Inactive

A repair usually fixes just about everything.
    The address book issue can easily be resolved, IF there's still a problem after the repair (I have a feeling there'll be no troubles).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.