1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

You need a touchscreen for Windows 8

Discussion in 'News @ WindowsBBS' started by Arie, 2012/12/31.

1. 2012/12/31
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff Thread Starter

The ability to touch, tap, swipe and pinch on Windows 8 computers is what makes the new operating system come to life. You can still use Windows 8 without a touchscreen, but that's kind of like tossing aside the remote, getting up, and repeatedly pushing buttons to change the channel on your TV -- it's an old-fashioned drag.

Yet remarkably few people are actually buying touchscreen computers. Just 5% of Windows 8 laptops sold through Dec. 15 had touchscreens, according to the NPD Group.

One challenge is that there just aren't many touch-enabled laptops out there. Only 30 of the more than 700 laptops that Best Buy sells on its website have touchscreens, and just two touchscreen laptops ranked among the retailer's top 10 sellers.

Read CNN Article

Arie,
  2. 2013/01/25
    adjohns3

adjohns3 Inactive

I'm just an average smoe out here and currently use Win 7.
    I don't have a touchscreen laptop, but do have a desktop touchscreen.
    Not sure I see the urgency or need to improve so great that I would go to Win8 (even though the upgrade price is VERY reasonable).
    From all I read it is not worth the upgrade for the non-touchscreen user?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/01/25
    ukuwi

ukuwi Inactive

I still use a very old 17in lcd bought for the crazy sum of £209gbp (man.. you could probably buy two 20+in led's for that now!)

I agree - urgency or need to improve is a solid down to earth statement.

For me, I am a coder and only look at bit at a time and anyway, Alt-tab can get me to whatever very fast. I've been told that multi-screens is vnice but 10+hrs a day looking at my small screen is quite good at burning my eyes out so shudder to think if had say 40in of screen on two monitors!
    Seems like the decision process for many buyers could well be:
    Price and justification. If so then surfing the social media (which I am not even signed up for) seems just as easy using a keyboard + mouse.
    Must be many Luddites out there like me :eek: Heck, I only just got Win7 cause XP Pro was not going to play ball with 16Gb! on my new rig..

Why is a touchscreen laptop of great use? I mean, does not laptop mean keyboard included?

I do not mean to cause offence to anybody, ok? the views I hold are based primarily on an IT mindset moulded in late 60's so guess my views are really not relevant..

However, to become a bit more modern, I'd fancy a 10in tablet but totally bemused by the rapidity of tech changes virtually every few months or so.
    Only? the Asus Prime, MS RT with docking station would seem of use for a keyboard'ist - but for sure, a touchscreen would be a must have if going down that route, I guess simply because for a bit extra, I get to experience the power of Win8 or Android...
    Perish the thought but might even like it :D

[FONT= "Tahoma"]edit: http://www.windowsbbs.com/pc-hardware/104105-whats-your-favorite-tablet.html#post597957 got me to re-examining just why I wanted to become tablet owner. Actually the reason is for comfortable reading of tech material which I've always done at the desktop and frankly, I'd sure like to get the legs up and just chill out doing the reading! Also, I'd for sure do so much more reading + learning if had a more physically easy sitting environment... So ok - scrap the keyboard and widen the H/W pick list to many more 10in tablets with touchscreen of course ;)[/FONT]

Last edited: 2013/01/25