1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Yahoo ToolBar Frustration

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by virginia, 2002/01/08.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/01/08
    virginia Lifetime Subscription

virginia Geek Member Thread Starter

I foolishly opted to install the Yahoo toolbar when I foolishly installed the free K-Mart internet access. No comments are necessary. The Yahoo Toolbar is still splashed across my screen. I uninstalled the K-Mart internet but can't find any Yahoo to uninstall. How can I get rid of it?

2. 2002/01/09
    tranquilo

tranquilo Inactive

Robert,

I believe the program in question is "yahoo companion ", and the file you need to delete / rename is "ycomp.dll ", and it should be located in your "windows\system" folder. There may also be a "program files\yahoo!\companion" (or something very similar, I am working from memory) folder you need to remove. Recent versions of yahoo messenger also give you the option to install yahoo companion, so keep an eye out if you use yahoo messenger.

Remember to close IE before doing anything.

tranquilo

Last edited: 2002/01/09

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/01/09
    virginia Lifetime Subscription

virginia Geek Member Thread Starter

Tranquilo,

Many thanks. I did just what you suggested and that bothersome toolbar disappeared. I do like Yahoo and use it quite a bit but I was tired of looking at the toolbar. It took me a while to find the ycomp.dll folder. I forgot that my folder options wouldn't let me view hidden and system files. After I remembered to change that, there was the folder. I simply deleted it and the Yahoo in Program Files and that did the trick. Now my monitor is 10% bigger.

Hooray for the return of BBS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.