1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

XP Woes - "mbr Error 1. Press Any Key To Boot From Floppy"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by OneXP2Go, 2017/12/20.

1. 2017/12/28
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

I would recommend starting creating Images of the system from square one. I think I created 7-8 of them along the way to getting it the way I wanted.

First off, pre-partition the drive as you would like it. You can do it on your current system and of course, the file system must be NTFS. A 500 GB drive, maybe 100 GB for the system and 400 GB for data or whatever you want it for. The important thing is to NOT let Windows 7 install itself on an empty drive. You will end up with a few extra "system and recovery" partitions which are not neccessary, especially if you plan on using an imaging program for system backup. With a pre-partitioned drive, tell it to install on C: and the installer will have no choice. The end result is that you will have only a single partition for the system to backup by imaging. This drive only should be connected during the installation and neither should any peripherals (USB-devices like printer, scanner, etc.) be connected.

Create the first image more or less immediately, no tweaks or anything else apart from temporarily connecting to the internet to activate Windows 7.

Stay disconnected from the internet as much as possible during the installation. Disable Windows Update and reenable when you want to run it for the first time.

Create the next image after you have done the basic tweaking and subsequent images "step by step" so to speak. This way, if something goes wrong, you only have to restore the most recent image, rather than uninstalling a program (which always leaves debris) or even starting over from square one.

Building your own systems, a good imaging/cloning program is the most important program to get ... :cool: ... !

When you get around to it, start a new thread in the Windows 7 forum.

2. 2017/12/28
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Running XP - there was no FREE upgrade to W10!
    The only FREE W10 option still available for a period is if you are a lawful disabled person.
    You will definitely have to decide what licence you want to pay for when you decide to upgrade to W10.
    The time for a FREE upgrade from W7/W8/W8.1 has expired.
    The price of SSD's has reduced considerably as I Posted regarding a Boxing Day Sale offer. $229.00NZD for a Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/12/29
    OneXP2Go

OneXP2Go New Member Thread Starter

@Christer - thanks for that great advice. Lots to think about and consider. I'll come back to it when doing the installation, and will also no doubt re-appear on the Win7 forum with questions :)

@retiredlearner - I wasn't looking to go to Win10 direct from XP. I was planning to get a copy of Win7 first, and make the upgrade after installing that. With regards being "lawfully disabled", from what I have read that is not strictly speaking the case. I'm no expert, but everything I have read thus far says that all MS require of you is that you use one or some of the Accessibility/assistive technologies features. And that can be something as simple as keyboard shortcuts!

That being said, I don't think I'll be going to Win10 yet. But that might be a topic best expanded on in my other thread...:

Windows 7 - the best way to get a copy, which version for DAW, W10 upgrade, etc

which I will now add a well overdue response to!

As for SSDs. It's good to hear the price is going down :) I'm still going to wait until I actually need it though, by which time they will hopefully be even cheaper.

Many thanks

5. 2017/12/30
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

You're welcome ... :) ... !