1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Wordpad for windows 98se

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Glen108, 2010/08/29.

1. 2010/09/09
    Glen108

Glen108 Inactive Thread Starter

Hi Ann

My condo board meeting minutes are in Doc or Wordpad. I would like to read them
    after they are published. If they were in the PDF format, I would not have a problem.
    I went to the Library today and opened the doc on their computer.
    I appreciate all your help. Since I'm an aries, I try too never give up in solving a problem.
    Thanks,
    Glen

2. 2010/09/09
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

okay, let's try something. Your wordpad.exe should be located in c:\program files\accessories\wordpad.exe. Back this file up by copying it to a safeplace. Rename it something like wordpad.xxx. Then download this old update:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-041.mspx

Direct download of zip is here:
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl...04ae347/WindowsNT4Server-KB885836-x86-ENU.exe

It contains:
    hotfix
    mswd6_32.wpc
    wordpad.exe

Run it and it should replace wordpad.exe.

----------------------
    I assume your
    are in a doc format ( *.doc extension) . That still leaves me wondering why you can't open and view these in another word processor. Why old wordpad? Have you tried another? Two goodies for win98se:

Jarte:
    http://www.jarte.com/download.html

http://www.abisource.com/screenshots/

Last edited: 2010/09/10

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/09/10
    Glen108

Ann
    I just downloaded Jarte 4.1
    I have to read it over to see what I have to do to open the board meeting doc.
    I assume I have to go to the website, but do not know what to do once I get there.
    Will do this later this morning.
    Hopefully your suggesting Jarte will solve my problem.
    Thanks again for all your help.
    Glen

5. 2010/09/10
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

If the files in question are .doc files you need go no further than Word Viewer provided by MS specifically for those who do not have Word ....
    Edit - Ignore - not compatible with 98.

6. 2010/09/10
    Glen108

Thanks Pete

I appreciate your input.
    Glen

7. 2010/09/10
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

8. 2010/09/10
    Glen108

Thanks Mark,
    I will try what you just suggested.
    Glen

9. 2010/09/15
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Well hello Glen108,

I noticed you checked the board today. I was afraid we lost ya'. How you coming along with this? Any progress?

10. 2010/09/16
    Glen108

Hi.
    No progress whatsoever. I've tried everything you suggested, and nothing seems to work.
    I just thought of another idea.I can bring up works 4.0 on my pc. Is there anyway to format it to RTF? Any possibilities on this?

Meanwhile another problem cropped up on my pc.
    I put a CD in my rom drive to play, and I received the following message:
    I have to update to a newer version of CD_SPLASH .EXE.
    This CD is a manual for how to operate my Samsung Smart Phone that I purchased
    a few weeks ago. I have since figured out most of the operations onhe phone, but wanted to also view the manual.
    I do not know if this message was for this CD only or refers to other CD's I want to view whether it's read only, movies, etc.
    Your thoughts on this will be certainly aprreciated.
    Thanks,
    Glen

11. 2010/09/17
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hi Glen,

Still absolutely boggled by the difficulty your seem to having opening documents.
    1)What is the extension of, for example, your "board meeting minutes documents "?
    2)Where are these located, (harddrive, email, online etc...)
    3)What have you used in the past to open these?
    4)Can you email me one? (I will send private email, should the need arise).

5)Does wordpad fuss if just opened by clicking on "wordpad.exe"
    6)or is it opening documents that's the issue?

7)Does wordpad spit out this error on every document you try to open, regardless of extension?
    8)When the error occurs, does it have a "details button" that can be clicked on? <-If so what's the quoted details?

8)Did you download and execute the ms update I suggested? (The one that replaces wordpad and needed companion dll)

9)Have you tried running sfc to check for corrupted or missing files. I have found a link that leads to win98 cab files should the need for those arise.

But I believe it was asked earlier if you have done a file search for *.cab and checked to see if your lucky enough to have these stored somewhere on harddrive.

--------------------
    Just in case you haven't taken advantaged of our archived files by using search with google, please do so. The link is located on top of this page under heading "search ". Type in filters of win98 and wordpad. Lots of hits and good research materials. Read at your leisure.

Last edited: 2010/09/17
  12. 2010/09/17
    Glen108

Hi, I do not remember you suggesting the ms update, with everything I have tried so far.
    I do check sfc every time I sign on to the computer, and everything seems to be ok.

I have never had to use word pad before until I went to:
    parkbloomingdale.org website to read september board meeting minutes which is in DOC
    format..When I click on the line which uploads to minutes, word pad comes up blank with the message:Illegal operation, your computer will close.
    Details Read: Invalid Page Fault in Module MSWRD832.cnv at 0167=0140f6ds
    I will try search at the top of the page and see what I can find.
    Did you read my other problem withthe CD Rom Drive not working?
    Thanks again,
    My personal e-mail address is Dick6060@aol.com

13. 2010/09/17
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

I thought so....again this boils down to old wordpad versions limitations.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=276337

work a-rounds suggested are not applicable because you don not have office suite, or you wouldn't have the problem your having. The ms article does tell you to, use one of the following methods below. This may work with ms works, as you suggested you will try. Do so, it may work for you. Just modify the the msoffice word2000 with you msworks and save the file as rtf. Jarte should also have done this for you. If trying to open these from within the browser, the problem may be a browser plugin or a default association for the extension. I'm crippled without being able to recreate your particular problem so I can walk it through with you. Got rid of anything win98ish a long time ago. Do have old disks but that doesn't do you any good.

Another viable work around suggested was to open with a viewer but newer viewer version don't run on win98 so let's try an older one that does....

Download the document to your PC before trying to open it. Instead of
    left-clicking the document to open it, right-click the document and choose
    Save Target As
    . Then start the viewer application, and use the File / Open
    menu option to open the file you downloaded.

Word Viewer 97 is no longer available from Microsoft, having been replaced by Word
    Viewer 2003 (per your link below), which will not install on a Win98 system, only
    Win2k/XP.

I did find Word Viewer 97 here:
    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,6314-order,1-page,1-c,alldow...ads/des

Direct download:
    http://downloads.pcworld.com/pub/new/business/word_processing/wordview.exe

This download applies to the following Office applications:
    Microsoft Office Word 2003
    Microsoft Word 2002
    Microsoft Word 2000
    Microsoft Word 97

I hope you do realize this is for the doc's the PDF's are another format and will take another application such as adobe reader or foxit. Both are processors/readers for pdf's.

---------------------
    Sorry about 2nd problem cd_splash etc... Board custom is to keep posted problem to one issue unless any others are directly related to original. This is software issue and is separate from your doc/rtf/wordpad problem. Makes archived research for problems more accurate and is less confusing from within posts. Suggest you start a second post on the cd_splash issue, in the software forum. butttt......between you and me and a quick stab in the dark without knowing what this is or why you would need it:
    Update it......
    http://cd-splash.softutopia.com/

Or end task on it and get rid of it. Do you really need it?

Note: may need updated shockwave flash:
    http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/

-------------------
    By the way this is what google has to say about your wordpad burp:
    http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Invalid+Page+Fault+in+Module+MSWRD832.cnv

--------------------
    Why are you still using win98se? Particularly when you do not have the disks and as you are discovering is a dinosaur. Support plus compatibility (software and hardware) for it is all but disappearing. You may have to make peace with the fact that you cannot do most things you wish to do. Sad but true. Time to play Taps for this operating system and either put it out to pasture (as a type writer only to run old favorites) or let it rest in peace.

14. 2010/09/17
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

http://parkbloomingdale.org/
    Easiest is to right click on these files docs and select "save as "
    among choices given should be a place and name that you can designate to save this to your harddrive.

Once the minute documents are downloaded, open "downloded viewer" or "jarte" or msworks, anything other than win98 wordpad. From within the application File>open>and browse to the doc you, have now, downloaded want opened and open it.

Same thing for the pdfs: right click and save to harddrive. Need a reader either go adobe.com and download the reader for win98 or:

foxit
    http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/ free viewer

15. 2010/09/17
    Glen108

I will do what you just suggested tomorrow. I'm too burned out tonight and tired.
    I will get back to you with the results sometime tomorrow.
    Thanks again for all your help.
    Glen

16. 2010/09/18
    Glen108

SUCCESS!!
    I downloaded Microsoft Word 97 and it by passed Word Pad and opened the board meeting minutes without any problem!
    I do want to thank you for all your help you have given me, it is certainly well appreciated.
    As for the CD Splash problem, I'm forgetting about it.
    Thanks again,
    Glen 108 (Dick)

17. 2010/09/18
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Yahoo and phew! This took a lot of elbow grease. :) I am glad you can at least put part of your problems behind you. Thanks for sticking with this and your most welcome. Can you please mark this post as resolved? See: scroll to "mark this post as resolved "

18. 2010/09/18
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Glen, Nice to see you have cracked it. So did I.
    I tried to open the doc. and got the same message on Win98SE.
    I loaded an early Open Office program called LuxuriousityOffice and went into your parkbloomingdale.org site and clicked on the reports and they were opened without any hassle.
    On the disc there is a windows9xme folder which contains a special Microsoft Patch - UNICOWS.EXE There are instructions to install in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM and it works a treat. Cheers Neil.:D:cool:

19. 2010/09/18
    Glen108

Neil
    I'm glad to hear that you also had success in opening the document with Open Office.
    Let's celebrate, have a drink on me!
    Cheers,
    Dick (alis Glen)