1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Wise Installation Wizard - doesn't work

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by monikabb, 2004/02/28.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/02/28
    monikabb

monikabb Inactive Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm having trouble installing various programs downloaded from the internet (eg. Adaware, incredimail, etc), because after double clicking on the installation file, the Wise Installation Wizard appears on the screen for a split second and then disappears. So the programs can never get installed. On my other computer these same installation files work just fine.

This happened after I ran into some permission problems with my d:/program files folder. Some folders became unaccessible and some programs stopped functioning, and could not be uinistalled. I finally corrected the permissions issue, but I realized that b/c of that various programs cannot be installed on my machine (those using the wise wizard).

I have tried running a registry scan/fix, but this problem did not go away. Reinstalled windows (update not clean install). I really don't want to format my computer or reinstall all my files, does anyone have any idea at all what I can do about this? There does not seem to be any information about this on the net...

Thanks so much,

Monika

2. 2004/02/29
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Hi Monika - Welcome to the Board :)

I'm clutching at straws here, but you may have hit the nail on the head with 'Permissions'.

Are you logged on with Administrator Rights - only Admins can load software - maybe Power Users too.

Try in Safe Mode. logged on as Admin.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/02/29
    monikabb

monikabb Inactive Thread Starter

THANKS SO MUCH PETE

I tried to start up in safe mode, which I realized was not working (just stopped half way). Finally after getting it to start windows in safe mode the installation wizard worked and programs I installed run.

There is still hope for this computer:)

Thank you very very much

Monika

5. 2004/02/29
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

You're Welcome :) Glad to hear it was that 'simple'.

Safwe Mode start up can be a bit disconcerning - there is a long pause after the main 'DOS' screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.