1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved wireless networks not available in some places

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by cspgsl, 2016/12/22.

1. 2016/12/22
    cspgsl Lifetime Subscription

cspgsl Geek Member Thread Starter

I have a linksys router set up in my office and I have named and secured two networks on it, one for each band - 2.4 and 5 ghz.

When I am in my office or anywhere in the building, I can see both networks on all devices and connect without issue.

I recently took the router to a friend's location and was only able to see the 2.4 band. The 5 ghz band was nowhere to be seen.

The friend's location has the exact same modem as my location and the same level of service that I have, from the same ISP.

My phone tried to connect to the 5 network, as it does in my location, but it said it couldn't find the network in spite of the phone being within 2 feet of the router.

Any ideas as to why this would happen?

Thanks

2. 2016/12/22
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

1. power off modem.
    2. power off router.
    3. wait a few seconds.
    4. power on modem, wait until it completes.
    5. power on router.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/12/23

Thanks Tony, I will give it a try when I return there

5. 2016/12/23
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

But does your friend have both of them configured like you do? The 2.4 and the 5?

6. 2016/12/23

I did it. I only moved the router from my location to his and plugged the internet feed from his modem to the router. Same ISP, same modem and service level as my location. What's to configure at his location? HAve not got back to try Tony's suggestion yet.

7. 2016/12/23
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

You cannot take a router to another location and just connect it to an up and running modem or replace an existing router with it. The reason is the modem associates with the MAC address (embedded hardware ID of network adapter) of the router it's connected to, or the computer connected to it. That address is temporarily stored in the modem's memory. Thus when swapping devices you must power off the modem to clear its memory, turn it back on, then connect the router. The modem will then associate with the router & store the device's MAC address.

8. 2017/01/20

the matter is still ongoing as I have not been able to connect with the client. I will mark it solved in the interim and if I have problems will open a new thread

Thanks