1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved wireless network adapter code 31

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jharry, 2015/12/05.

1. 2015/12/05
    jharry

jharry Inactive Thread Starter

My Qualcomm Atheros AR5B93 wireless network adapter on a Gateway NV54 laptop with Windows 10 is not working. Device Manager says "The device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31) An object ID was not found in the file." I tried uninstalling the device, Device Manager returns an error "Cannot uninstall this device because its descendants refused the request. This can happen if the device's descendants are required to boot up the computer." I tried updating the driver software. I got an error saying the software could not be updated because the device is not functioning correctly. But the yellow triangle on the device icon went away, and Device Manager shows "the device is working properly ". But I still cannot connect. When I restart the laptop, the same Code 31 error appears.

2. 2015/12/05
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/12/05
    jharry

Attempt to install new drivers returned the following message: "The best driver software for your device is already installed. Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date."
    The version of driver installed is 10.0.0.321 date 6/16/2015.
    The device icon shows no yellow triangle. The "general" tab of "properties" shows "The device is working properly ". But I still cannot connect. The "events" tab information shows "Device PCI \VEN_168C&DEV_002A&SUBSYS_66321AD&REV_01\4&1bdbe2dd&00E1 requires further installation ". I don't know what that means.
    I went to Network Connections. It showed Wi-Fi Disabled Qualcomm Atheros AR5B93 ... I clicked on "Enable this network device" It showed "Enabling ", then "Enabled ". But immediately Wi-Fi turned to "Disabled ". Diagnosing this connection could not resolve the problem.

Last edited: 2015/12/05
  5. 2015/12/06
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Last edited: 2015/12/06
  6. 2015/12/06
    jharry

I followed the instructions on the recommended web page "How to Set Compatibility Mode for Apps in Windows 10 ", up to the point "Select the program you're having problems with." The listed programs are all executable apps. My problem is with the wireless network adapter,which does not show in the list. I selected "Not listed ". The compatibility troubleshooter then required that I "Enter the program file's location ". I do not know what program is causing the error, so I can't enter the program file's location. I had to cancel the compatibility troubleshooter.

7. 2015/12/06
    jharry

Thanks for your help. I finally fixed the problem by using System Restore. Restoring to the most recent restore point did not fix the problem. Then I tried restoring to a much earlier restore point. It worked. Please consider the thread resolved.

papernpaste likes this.
  8. 2015/12/07
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Marking a thread as 'Resolved'