1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Wiping my hard drive completely

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by blakston6286, 2016/11/30.

1. 2016/12/25
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

If you want to completely erase your hard disk, including all your data the simplest way would be through a Linux based bootable disk.

Try downloading GParted from Download GParted Live - MajorGeeks

2. 2016/12/25
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Un-hook the drive you do not want 7 on and try again.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/12/25
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

The Windows installation routine has had a partition remover, as well as a partition formatter built into it since 2001 (Windows XP).

If that doesn't work, remove the hard drive from the laptop, connect it to another computer (either internally or via a USB adapter) and then use that computer's software to destroy the partition(s) on it.

Note: If the hard drive has been protected with a BIOS password, then even that will NOT work. You must first use the original computer's BIOS to blank (erase/delete) the hard drive password, then power down and remove the hard drive.

5. 2016/12/25
    David Johnson

David Johnson New Member

With the introduction of Windows 10, Microsoft brings many changes, some people like it, some may be happy with their older version. For people who wish you go back to previous version, there is a rollback feature in Windows 10, but Microsoft only gives you time for rollback within 10 days of installation. Alternatively, a complete reinstall may be the only option if the 10 days’ time was passed. By doing this unwanted software on your PC was also cleaned. Further, if you especially want to permanently remove your partitions data, you can use file erasing software like Bitraser, with no chance of any data recovery.

6. 2016/12/25
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Not really the right answer.

Right from MS. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...37070c/going-back-to-windows-7-or-windows-8.1

You'll be able to go back to an earlier version by going to Settings > Update & security > Recovery . The time you have to go back depends on what version of Windows 10 your PC is running after the upgrade. For example, if your PC is running Windows 10 Version 1511, you have a month to go back to your previous operating system. If your PC is running Windows 10 Version 1607, you have 10 days to go back. (To see what version of Windows 10 your PC is running after you upgrade, select the Start button, then select Settings > System > About .

7. 2016/12/25
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

From what info I can gather, this Laptop was produced with W8.1 64bit OS. Did the retailer install W10 by upgrade or was it a Factory upgrade?
    How old is it? If it's still covered by warranty - I would go back to the retailer and ask if they can carry out the downgrade you want.
    Failing that, I would suggest you purchase a new drive (SSD) to install your W7 Ultimate on.
    Have you asked Asus whether they have password locked the drive or if they can suggest a way to downgrade to W7
    You may be able to get a drive unit exchanged by the retailer. If this is a Factory install on a new drive, there won't be any Roll back possible!

8. 2016/12/26
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

TeraByte CopyWipe is obsolete because it's now included in BootIt Bare Metal but still available as freeware and maybe the solution to your problem with a "BIOS protected" drive. I've never used it myself but check out the manual for the options to wipe a drive.

Also, make sure that the drive you wish to wipe is the only one connected to the computer ... :eek: ... just a precaution!

9. 2016/12/27
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

I admire your patience that you have shown, me I would have by now removed the HD and replaced it with a new SSD not that expensive any more and used the one with 10 on as an external USB. And live happily ever after.
    hawk22

10. 2016/12/27
    blakston6286 Lifetime Subscription

blakston6286 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Maybe it is my fault for not framing the question properly that has allowed this post to go totally off track.
    So let me be perfectly clear.................................... I am NOT interested in any way of fixing Windows 10 and I never will be.

I am also not interested in dismantling or taking apart in any way this $900 laptop to replace something that works This Laptop is simply set up wrong with lots of **** I want to eliminate from the get go particularly the OS.

My Primary and ONLY objective is to put my CD of Windows 7 Ultimate into the DVD reader and let it install a CLEAN INSTALL on this Laptop.

I know that somwhere over the rainbow there exist a software that can BRUTALLY wipe out my existing data on all the Hard drives [2] within this Laptop.
    Soooooo please simply link me to your candidate of destruction. and let me do what I have to do.PLEASE!!

Thank you and Good Night.........

11. 2016/12/27
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Your best bet. Wipes out everything.

12. 2016/12/27
    retiredlearner

13. 2016/12/28

My laptop is an X751M.......it is not an X751MA....

Thank you RSINFO for the link...I will download and proceed and post the results...

14. 2016/12/28

Well................. I will have to try another approach. Nothing is working like I need it to.
    I just can' find any process in any of the recommended software that clearly and simply instructs me how to wipe out my drive...They all claim to do that but when I open the software nothing is clear and simple about what to do from there to obliterate and destroy the OS..

I am sure it is because, like I previously mentioned, I need simple step by step instructions on what I am looking for and how to proceed. ...............Like download this...then find this and click on it and this will appear then do this to that to make it happen. I can download but from that point on I am in unknown territory.

This site is simply for people with more advanced knowledge who assume everyone here knows a certain level of information and I am not anywhere near that level. Just a simple guy with limited knowledge trying to do what I have heard can be done. I do not have the aptitude to be able to extrapolate. I am the kind of guy who actually has to read and follow the step by step instructions to be able to build anything. I am lost with out the instruction sheet that comes in the box with step by step instructions and labeled pieces. Without the manufacturers instructions everything stays in the box and nothing will get built.

So all these downloads just sit there with files and texts and no instruction sheet telling me...If you want to completely erase your hard drive click here.
    So all this software is just a bunch of boxes full of stuff i have no idea what to do next with...

I get it .. I play brilliant classical guitar, but quite honestly I would not be able to teach someone guitar that did not have a working knowledge and understanding of the basics.
    Thanks again for trying to help.
    All the best,
    ARYAN

15. 2016/12/28
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

When I bought this it was cheaper. If it was feasible to send me the drive. I'd wipe it using this Played Classical Piano and guitar(all my guitars including a 12 string are left handed).

Last edited: 2016/12/28
  16. 2016/12/28
    retiredlearner

I would assume that you cannot "wipe" the HDD completely because of the "Hidden" partition where the OS recovery files are. I don't know whether this partition is "Password" protected, but it must be able to be opened by someone. Trying to find info on your X751M Asus laptop is not easy.
    How to Delete All Partitions on a Hard Drive to Clear Disk?
    You will need to download AOMEI Partition Assistant from here: Free Partition Manager Software - AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard
    Download the Freeware Version and keep an eye open for any additional software offered. I have just used this to clean my 320GB HDD I previously Posted about. It works flawlessly and the instructions are easy to follow.
    The link I placed above (How to Delete...) is written by an employee of the company.
    You may need to dismount your HDD from your laptop as you won't be able "wipe" a Windows OS which is currently in use. You said you didn't want to do any dismantling - but I don't think it's possible to carry out this operation in your laptop. ( I stand to be corrected if in error.)
    I used this unit DIGITUS | Products
    to Clone my W10 to an SSD and I just used it again to free up all space and remove the Recovery Partition. Have a look and see if you will have the patience to follow and do the same. You may have to download your laptop service manual to find out how to remove/change HDD's.

Last edited: 2016/12/28
  17. 2016/12/29
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Did you check in the BIOS under the title Security to see if there is an HDD Password set?

18. 2016/12/31
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

AS Neil has pointed out, you can not wipe the OS that you are currently using. You can create a new Partition and install 7 on that partition then you can most likely wipe 10 from 7 that you have made as your C:\ drive.

19. 2017/01/01
    retiredlearner

Bill, I don't know whether blakston will be able to install W7 unless he can get into the Start program. W7 quite often would not install where 2 drives were installed during the running of W7. blakston has stated that his laptop has 2 HDD's so I still think it will be safer to open the laptop and pull the HDD with the OS on it and do the job as I suggested in my previous Post.
    I always try to work from written instructions - workshop manual - where ever possible as it was the way I was trained and I similarly trained others. blakston should be able to print the info from AOMEI Tutorials and just remember that the Apply button for AOMEI is at the top left side of the info they provide.

20. 2017/01/02
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

Hi Neil,
    blakstone says: My Primary and ONLY objective is to put my CD of Windows 7 Ultimate into the DVD reader and let it install a CLEAN INSTALL on this Laptop.
    He has Win10 installed and wants to wipe it and run 7. The way I see it he won't be able to install 7 unless he creates a partition for it, or alternatively, what he does not want to do is, remove the hard drive with the OS on it and install 7 on his second drive that will then automatically format the drive for Win 7 and name that as C:\ drive.
    So yes it is either, remove a drive or partition it, but I don't think he is willing to do either.

21. 2017/01/02
    retiredlearner

I'm sure he meant to use his DVD of Windows 7 Ultimate for install ??? It would need a few CD's for that job. I have years ago, run W98 over W95 and XP over W98, but I don't think it will work the other way.