1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Wiping my hard drive completely

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by blakston6286, 2016/11/30.

1. 2016/11/30
    blakston6286 Lifetime Subscription

blakston6286 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello,
    I seem to remember a program I read on here years ago that I could use to wipe my hard drive clean and totally reformat my computer.
    I am at a loss as to just exactly where and which forum this kind of info would be posted. Could someone please point me in the right direction to find a post concerning this function.
    Thanks,
    Aryan B

2. 2016/11/30
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Aryan. You can use KillDisk to erase all the data on a hard drive.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/11/30
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Why do you want to "wipe" your hard disk clean ? A format would do nicely.

5. 2016/12/01
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

If your System Details are up to date - Running Vista - I would suggest your HDD may be getting near Use By Date. What are you planning to do?

6. 2016/12/02
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

7. 2016/12/11

Actually the computer I want to wipe is my laptop. It is new and has Windows 10 on it and Man what a bogus OS that is on this computer.
    I own a Windows 7 Ultimate...I tried to reformat the Laptop with the 7 disc and there appears to be some safeguard loaded into the windows 10 because it stalled and aborted my attempt to format ...So I need to flat out KILL this computers OS and start like new. So I do need a program that will do that without interference..

8. 2016/12/11
    retiredlearner

What is your problem with W10? Have you actually used it for any time? Have you got the very latest KB3201485 installed? You will find it more user friendly with ALL updates installed.

9. 2016/12/11
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I agree 100% on Win 10. Love it. DBAN as Spyware Dr. suggested is a good one.

10. 2016/12/12
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

If its the Win 10 interface (desktop) that puts you off try Start10 which restores the Windows 7 Start button and boots directly to the desktop with no tiles, etc. I've used it since Win 8 (Start8) and it transforms the OS GUI - there is a free trial available.

11. 2016/12/12
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Who is the Manufacturer? What model and version number is the laptop? If it's an HP what is the Product Number(P/N)? If it is a Dell what is the Service Tag and Express Service Tag? Try looking at: Diskpart

Last edited: 2016/12/12
  12. 2016/12/17

Well..That was an exercise in FUTILITY.

I downloaded and ran KillDisk from the link.you provided me Evan and after the process absolutely Nothing...Zero....Nada...Zilch has changed...

How in the world is that even possible...???

Man!!! All I want to do is KILL, KILL, KILL this OS and it is like.....possesed or something.....Maybe if I dunk it in Holy Water it would help...

13. 2016/12/17
    SpywareDr

As mentioned above, you might try diskpart or DBAN next.

If still no go, boot with some version of *nix (on a USB flash drive) and then use *nix cmds/utils to try and destroy it.

14. 2016/12/18

THANK YOU....I WILL TRY DBAN AND IF THAT DOES NOT WORK I WILL USE YOUR FLASH DRIVE SUGGESTION...I JUST WANT WINDOWS 10 GONE...

15. 2016/12/18

Well.. DBAN did refuse to list OS .C my primary system...so I am totally stonewalled there.

16. 2016/12/18
    retiredlearner

I have just checked my old Notebook HDD. I replaced it with a SSD and used AOMEI to clone W10 to the new SSD. This was originally loaded with W8 which was upgraded to W8.1 then upgraded to W10 Home. I then put it into an external case (Digitus SATA to USB 3.0 External SSD/HDD enclosure 2.5"). Funnily it won't show when plugged into my USB 3.0 Ports on my comp, but will show when plugged into USB 2.0 Ports. Probably because of the age and type of the HDD. It shows as Local Disk E: Free Space 274 GB's and Used Space 125 MB's. It also shows as Local Disk F: Recovery. Free Space 21.9 GB's and Used Space 67 MB's. This is a ST320LTO12-9WS14C SCSI disk and for the life of me. I can't remember whether AOMEI wiped the W10 from it. It looks as though the W8 Recovery may still be on the drive and may be protected from being wiped. How does your Drive show it's detail? May be The Doc or Evan can explain.

17. 2016/12/19
    SpywareDr

Since it's a laptop, isn't the drive connected directly to the motherboard?

Is there a BIOS password set for the hard drive?

Get to an elevated cmd prompt, type diskpart and press [Enter]. Do you get a "DISKPART>" prompt or an error? (Whichever you get, simply close the cmd window for now).

18. 2016/12/20
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Again I'll ask: Who is the manufacturer of the laptop? What is the Model and Version Number of the laptop?

19. 2016/12/24

This is a brand new ASUS laptop X751M.......It came loaded with lots of garbage I did not care for or ask for.....I use it for advanced schooling and it has never worked without problems for the year I have attempted to struggle through ............No matter what I do it is sluggish and non responsive so I would like to wipe it clean and install my windows 7 ultimate

I am happy for those who like Windows 10...I do NOT like Windows 10. I was not aware that I had to justify my reason for wanting to erase my OS to anyone...

So......... if you believe it is my personal right to do with my property what I wish to do then I would gratefully appreciate a step by step instruction on exactly how to go about wiping out my hard drive and clean installing my Windows 7....

I do have a brand new 64 GB memory stick available to download a process onto to use like suggested with..*nix? I just do not know where I must go to find *nix..

My primary objective is to completely wipe out the OS and programs on Drive C...then start from scratch with an empty slate and load only what I want .

Yes, I would like to partition the operating sytem if possible to make things a bit easier to function in the long run..

I could care less about touch screen capabilities and all the bells and whistles associated with Windows 10......I just want a smooth functioning .laptop so I can get thru school without all these unnecessary headaches
    My desired solution to my problem is a fresh start with an OS I have worked with and really like.So if that is possible, please let me know how to do it step by step as I am not a computer expert so I while I do know about cmd..I do not know where to go to ..get an elevated cmd prompt from this regular screen.

I have recently bought compatible components and built a new desktop on my own.. It has a very nice EVGA Z97 Classified Motherboard, N'Vidia 970 GTX GPU, 32 GB of highend DDR5 memory, a Devil's Canyon Chip all high end innards and hardware.including 2 SSD 960 GB Drives and the works. I programmed it with Windows 7 Ultimate and it runs faaaaast and efficiently. I only use it to do online gaming and it runs flawlessly so I am good in that area.
    But laptops that come loaded with manufactures 'stuff'' is not my wheelhouse..So I need instructions regarding where to find stuff and how to proceed.
    Even Leo LaPorte...the "Tech Guy". has recently finally admitted that he does not like Windows 10 very much because it is rife with problems that Microsoft has yet to fix.

I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and a brilliant New Year.

20. 2016/12/24
    SpywareDr

21. 2016/12/24

I did try that and The computer simply did not allow it. In fact when I next tried to boot up it had downloaded the 7 partially on my second internal drive. But it did not complete the install.so when I tried to click on it it refused to go anywhere...I just want to wipe my primary hard drive...when trying to install 7 I was not ever given a path to erase the 10 partition...that never appeared in the options. So until I eliminated the 7 listed in the boot options. I do not want to attempt installing 7 until I can blank out this computer. It has some kind of weird protection on the c drive.....Everywhere I have ever heard of doing this they say the only way to be successful is with a clean install. They have actually said do not try install any other way cause it will not work well.