1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved wiping a hard drive to donate computer

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mary651, 2017/06/15.

1. 2017/06/15
    mary651

mary651 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have an older Gateway computer that originally had XP on it and I put Windows 7 on it from a disc that I purchased. I would like to donate that computer to a non-profit. If I wipe it, would this computer with XP have an option to restore it to original settings and then can I re-install the Windows 7 OS from the disc? Are there still updates to Windows 7 available?

2. 2017/06/15
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

If you wipe the hard disk, everything goes including any recovery partitions. So you can't restore it to original settings. XP can't be upgraded to Win 7,so you would have to format the XP partition in any case. You can straight away install Win 7 without bothering about XP.

Win 7 updates are still available but installation is a hit or miss affair.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/06/15
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

You will have a problem with W7 updates. SP1 should be on your W7 DVD, but it will need to download heaps of updates to get up to date. Better find out whether you can download the W7 Security up dates before you do any wiping of your HDD. I seem to recollect there is a way for this to be done and Evan Omo may be your man.
    Have a look in W7 Forum. Arie Posted the info there.

5. 2017/06/16
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

SP1 is a prerequisite for Windows Update to work on Windows 7. If your DVD doesn't include SP1, it can be downloaded and installed separately.

Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (KB976932)

Next, I would install the

Platform update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

There are a few updates but also one that makes it slightly easier.

Convenience rollup update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

You may note that the

April 2015 servicing stack update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

is a prerequisite for the one above and has to be downloaded and installed separately.

I think that the convenience rollup takes care of the prerequisites for installing IE11 which should be next in line. If not, you'll be prompted to install the prerequisites or do the installation online and the IE11 installer will download them automatically.

Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7

Notice that there are two versions, 32-bit or 64-bit depending on Windows 7 being 32-bit or 64-bit.

Downloading all updates manually and installing them takes too long. Let Windows Update loose behind a good hardware firewall or install some Internet Security before you connect.

A bit of work for a good cause ... :) ... !

6. 2017/06/16
    mary651

Thanks to all who responded.:) I really appreciate the help. I have downloaded the 5 items listed by Christer for the 32 bit OS and saved them on a flash drive. I need to get the stored computer out and start working on it. The one I am trying to replace is on its last legs and am worried it will crash before I can get documents off of it. I am a volunteer secretary for a historical society and when I tried to turn on the computer at the museum the other day, I had to hit the power button three times because it kept shutting itself off. To wipe the drive in my 32 bit computer do I just use the Windows 7 restore options in control panel? I haven't used the computer or Windows 7 in a very long time, but it was working great when I replaced it.

7. 2017/06/16
    Christer

When booting to the original installation media, when it comes up in the dialog, just tell it to remove all partitions which will take the installation to a clean harddisk. The required partitions will get created and formated thereafter.

8. 2017/06/16
    Christer

Arie posted a new thread in Speed up fresh Windows 7 install and he reminds us about the most recent "update rollup", KB4022719 which takes care of a few updates.

(To be honest, I don't know if IE11 is included in the "convenience rollup". I don't think so but if it is, you don't need to install it separately.)

9. 2017/06/18
    mary651

Christer, I followed everything as you stated after I used Dban. I had downloaded all of the updates you said I needed using my main computer to a flashdrive and installed them one at a time. The only problem I have is that when I put my Key in for the genuine purchased Windows 7, it tells me that it is not a valid Key as this key is only for upgrades, not for clean installs. This is the computer that I initially installed the purchased Windows 7 on changing from XP. Is this going to cause problems for me and the OS stop working after a time? How can I get Microsoft to recognize the Key. All of the other updates downloaded from Microsoft and installed when I hooked it up to the internet. It says there are no more needed. Can you or anyone help me to get it to accept the Key?

10. 2017/06/19
    Christer

Hmm ... o_O ... I didn't expect that scenario. Let's wait for responses from other members but it seems like you would have to reinstall XP first (and do nothing more) just to start the upgrade from XP. There should be an option to start from "square one" during the installation of W7 but you have verified that it is an upgrade.

11. 2017/06/19
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

As per this Windows 7 Upgrade Paths upgrade to Win 7 is only supported for Vista SP1/SP2 & not for XP. Wonder how did you manage to upgrade ?

Did you have Win 7 Home earlier & then upgraded to Win 7 Pro ?

12. 2017/06/19
    mary651

The version of Windows 7 that I purchased is Windows 7 Home Premium and right on the back of the box it says: "If you are upgrading from Windows XP, you will need to back up your files and settings, perform a clean install and then re-install your existing files, settings, and programs. Visit windows microsoft.com/upgrade for important information." I didn't have any problems initially installing it the first time on this computer. Microsoft recognized the Key right away. I am sure that I researched this product before purchasing as I was buying it specifically to replace Windows XP on this computer. My husband had Vista on his computer and hated it, so I used the disc to upgrade his as well. In the booklet that came with the upgrade package, there are similar instructions indicating that the disc can be used for XP, also a phone number to call for support. I doubt it would still be available, but I could try to call them.

13. 2017/06/19
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I was always under the impression that the product key could only be used on one computer. Unless I'm mistaken and the rule changed since the release of Windows 10?

14. 2017/06/19
    mary651

This Windows 7 package was for 3 computers which I did 2 desktops and 1 laptop originally. There are 2 discs in the box, one for 32 bit and one for 64 bit. Then my husband's desktop had a hard drive crash and I was able to use it to re-install on a new hard drive. The Key code was accepted. Don't you think they wouldn't care now that Windows 10 has supposedly replaced all of the other operating systems?

15. 2017/06/19
    retiredlearner

I would call the Windows/Microsoft call number and explain what has happened. You are trying to activate the Product Key? You have already stated that it's been done 4 times? I've used MS call service for activation about 4-5 times and found them very helpful. Please be aware the service is automated (the instructions are via a computer). If it fails to activate - you are then directed to talk with a human being.

16. 2017/06/19
    mary651

I was thinking the same thing about Microsoft's help and I did call the support phone number in my software package which was still in service. The tech I was connected with was very helpful and patient. I had disconnected all of the parts(keyboard, mouse, monitor, electricity, and the internet) thinking I would have to give up on it. He had me reconnect the computer parts and to the internet, remotely took over my computer after he had validated the Key that I gave him, and forced the Key to be recognized. He must have been on the phone with me for an hour, but was determined to get it resolved even though it kept saying it was invalid software and tried everything to keep me from using the computer. It was vicious!! If anyone else needs to re-install the OS software that is indeed legitimate, please be sure to call Microsoft for help. They were great and now I can donate this computer with confidence that it will work for my historical society. Thank you everyone for your help and I am marking this one solved.

17. 2017/06/19
    retiredlearner

Good to know your comp is working OK. MS help isn't that scary.:eek::D:D

18. 2017/06/19
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Thanks for clearing that up.