1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

[WinXP + Linux RedHat ... how to?]

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by yuvalIsrael, 2006/04/24.

1. 2006/04/24
    yuvalIsrael

yuvalIsrael Inactive Thread Starter

Hi all, my name is yuval as you see.
    I want to put Linux RedHat and Win XP together, how can i do this?

thank's yuval:)

2. 2006/04/24
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

Hello yuval!

Please use a better thread title the next time. I edited your post to make it more descriptive. (See posting rule #3.)

Sorry but I have no answer to your question. I'm sure someone else has.

Christer

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/04/24
    ReggieB

ReggieB Inactive Alumni

It isn't too difficult to install a dual boot XP and Linux system with the latest Linux distros. Golden rule is install the XP first. My favoured technique is:

1. Install Windows XP. Use the installation process to clear off the disk and install the XP into a 10 gig partition.
    2. Boot into the XP and make sure it works all right.
    3. Install the Linux distribution in to a second 10 gig partition. All the recent distributions I've played with (Suse, Fedora, Umbunto, and Mandriva) install a boot manager. Let this look after the boot record. It will provide you with a list of OS options to choose which one to boot when you start the PC. Use the linux install program to create the 10 gig partition for Linux. You also need a "swap" partition with Linux. Make this twice the size of your RAM. So if you 512Mb of RAM, use a 1 gig swap partition.
    4. Boot into Linux and check it works.
    5. Reboot into Windows to make sure that still works.
    6. Use Windows disk manager to partition the rest of your hard disk for you data and documents. If you keep a partition for data and documents, you are much freer to strip out OS partitions and try different Windows and Linux flavours.
    One thing to consider is that NTFS is the best disk format to use with Windows, but Linux isn't very good at reading and writing to NTFS partitions. Also Windows won't read or write to linux default partitions. One option is to create a small FAT partition at step 2. Both Windows and Linux will read and write to FAT. You can then use that partition as a place to put files you wish to share between the two operating systems. However, nowadays I tend to use a USB flash drive for that purpose.