1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM error

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by nutbag123, 2008/08/21.

1. 2008/08/21
    nutbag123

nutbag123 Inactive Thread Starter

i recently purchased a dell latitude 600 laptop from an ebay auction. the operating system installed was Windows 2000. i installed a wireless G notebook adapter D-Link with a software driver that came with it. everything worked fine until the household power went off one day. upon reboot, i got the titled error message and could not start, saying the file was missing or corrupt. the laptop did not come with any system floppy or CD-ROM that it says i should use to attempt a fix. seller has not responded to my requests for a copy. can someone give me a fix, or tell me if i can reload this with a full new version of Windows XP Home Edition or Pro? will this overwrite the Win2K OS? i have no personal files on the computer that i desire to save. any help greatly appreciated... System Memory 512MB @ 266MHz...CPU Speed 1.40 GB..Primary Hard Drive...40 GB

2. 2008/08/22
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

You won't be able to fix this without access to a Windows 2000 CD. If you get Windows XP, just reformat the computer & install XP.

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/08/22
    nutbag123

nutbag123 Inactive Thread Starter

hello, arie, thank you very much for the quick response
    to my question? i am delighted how fast i received the
    answer i needed. if this is not another silly question
    from a beginner, i wanted to know how to reformat, if
    i cannot get past the error message displayed on my
    laptop screen. this forum rocks!! nutbag123 :)

5. 2008/08/25
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

You need to set your computer (laptop) to boot from the CD drive. Then re-boot the system with the Windows CD in the drive. You'll be able to freshly reformat the drive & install Windows.

Arie,